CHOI Radio station Québec

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Quebec shock-radio fans descend on Ottawa

OTTAWA - Five thousand angry radio listeners from Quebec City descended on Parliament Hill Tuesday. They came to protest the decision by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission to refuse to renew the licence for the controversial radio station CHOI-FM.

Jeff Fillion

They want the federal cabinet to overturn the CRTC decision.

In the fickle world of radio, these are dedicated listeners — willing to take a day off work, and spend it riding a bus, all to save their favourite radio station.

Last month, the CRTC announced it would not renew the station's licence. It said that, in spite of repeated warnings, CHOI continued to allow the morning-show host, Jeff Fillion, to make hateful and racist comments on the air.

The protesters arrived on Parliament Hill five hours after they left Quebec City. One of them, Eric Pruneau, said, "We think we are able to choose our radio. We are able to chose what we want to listen to."

The CRTC's decision has been criticized from across the political spectrum.

The rest of the story: http://ottawa.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=ot_choi_fm20040810

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I say: Let them keep their radio station. The public does not want to see this service shut down. What happened to freedom? Maybe they could tone down their stand on some things, but apart from that, it should be allowed to continue.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Andem said:
I say: Let them keep their radio station. The public does not want to see this service shut down. What happened to freedom? Maybe they could tone down their stand on some things, but apart from that, it should be allowed to continue.

They have the highest number of listeners in Québec City. They are closing it, because it has always been contraversial. Its a Nationalist and Seperatist Radio Station. Only good out of this, every party in Québec is looking to get partial control over the CRTC. They do not know our culture, and shouldnt be given the right to regulate it.

Isengard

Electoral Member
The problem with this is that the CRTC has not the power to fire someone working at a radio or tv station. They renewed CHOI'S license 2 years ago with strict regulations as of what they should stop doing. 2 years later it's still going on so they remove the license.

The problem is with the owners of CHOI, they knew what was coming if they didn't change their act, they just had to let Fillion and Arthur go and that would have done it.

It's not even a matter of freedom, isn't your freedom stopping where mine begins? The guy was constantly attacking people during his show based on nothing, then he would listen to the other one defends himself. But sometime that was too late, damage was done and listeners were believing the lies.

I will post some of the things Fillion has said and you tell me, what freedom of speech has to do with this:

"Pourquoi un moment donné on tire pas s'a plogue. Non mais il ne mérite pas de vivre. C'est un esti de paquet de troubles pour la société, ce bonhomme-là."
- Jeff Fillion, dans le cadre de commentaires sur une nouvelle concernant les mauvais traitements subis par un patient d'un hôpital psychiatrique.

"Moi je pense que dans le zoo, on devrait remplir les chambres pis que, un moment donné, y a une switch pis que une fois par quatre mois, tu pèses sur le piton pis qu'y sort rien qu'un petit gaz pis que tu vas là pis tu ramasses ça dans des sacs."
- Jeff Fillion sur le même sujet.

"Hostie de prétentieux", "hostie de pas bon", "loser", "vomi", "chieur" et "arbre avec des racines pourries".
- À propos de son collègue journaliste concurrent Jacques Tétrault.

"Gang de fifis".
- Jeff Fillion à propos de l'équipe de Radio Énergie À Québec.

"Fils des pilleurs, cannibales..."
- André Arthur à propos des étudiants de l'Université Laval en provenance d'Afrique.

"Qu'est-ce qu'ils veulent, cette bande de moumounes-là? Deux gars avec des pinchs, ça se frenche, ça va se marier en cinq minutes, pis ça a les droits d'un couple marié. Est-ce qu'on va leur donner la permission d'aller faire de la propagande dans les écoles pour augmenter leur nombre? Exiger un pourcentage de fifs dans les émissions de TV, vont-ils bientôt faire la même chose dans les organismes gouvernementaux?"
- Jeff Fillion à propos des homosexuels.

"La grosseur du cerveau n'est pas directement proportionnelle à la grosseur de la brassière. Dans ce cas-ci, c'est peut-être inversement proportionnel, effectivement."
- Propos tenus le 28 mai 2003 au sujet de Sophie Chiasson, animatrice à l'antenne du réseau de télévision TVA, ainsi que chez MétéoMédia et Canal Vie.

"Communistes, terroristes pro-Ben Laden, fifs."
- À propos de la salle de rédaction de Voir Québec.

- Jeff Fillion avoue un jour en ondes qu'il a rêvé de violer la chroniqueuse Marie Plourde du Journal de Montréal. Il en remettra plus tard à l'antenne en proférant des menaces à l'endroit des journalistes; il aimerait, disait-il alors, "entrer dans des salles de rédaction pour en abattre quelques-uns".

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I've skimmed through this, and at first, the information the media gave us would make me think this is an somewhat isolated incident not going further into what really happened throughout the years. Look at this though:

[translation] Another question for the executives at Cogeco, whether it’s little Mr. Brown or Mr. Carter, his Mormon priest boss, or the Audet family, why not ask them this: since most people in the community know that Robert [Gillet] has problems, why was he so staunchly defended … Did anyone in the chain of command owe him anything? Did anyone in the chain of command go on trips with Robert?

[translation] Look, is there someone at FM 93 who didn’t know that Robert [Gillet] made, and still makes, regular trips to two of the most popular places for child prostitution in the world? Namely Thailand, where Robert goes regularly, and Czechoslovakia, Prague.

[translation] [Mr. Gillet couldn’t] get it up with an adult woman any more?

[translation] Who is protecting Robert Gillet at FM 93? Is it Brown? Is it Carter? Who at FM 93 is unable to say no to Robert?

[translation] … to tell Geoff Brown: you’re good looking, you’re tall, you’re great, you smell good, and I don’t notice when you scratch your ass in front of everyone?

[translation] … everyone knows that if Geoff Brown farts while he’s walking down a gravel road, it makes a little puff of smoke, it makes a little cloud of dust, because his ass is dragging, you see.

[translation] Should it have come as a surprise to the people at FM 93? I don’t think so. They knew that he [Robert Gillet] was going to Thailand; they went with him.

[translation] … second, Prague is the world capital, the European capital, for young girl prostitutes. Did the Québec police or the journalists go to Voyages Paradis and say, were there FM 93 executives on Robert Gillet’s trips? Were there any other accused? …

[translation] And my question to journalists now is, how come Charles Paradis, who arranged the trips to Prague, was never asked by other journalists about Robert Gillet’s role? Was Robert bringing in customers? Did he get a commission when he brought someone in? Did he take anyone there personally? Did any FM 93 executives go on those trips to Thailand or Prague? And did any sales representatives or business managers from FM 93 or Cogeco go on those trips?

[translation] Oh, I don’t know. I think there are personal connections. I think there are true friendships, but there’s also the fact that there are executives at FM 93 who went to Thailand with Robert Gillet. I know things are said ... that they were allowed to advertise trips to Prague, with Voyages Paradis on FM 93, trips to the European capital for young girl prostitutes. I know that Robert was drumming up business for Voyages Paradis, which was his job. I don’t know, but I ask Québec journalists: when are you going to do your job? When are you going to go to FM 93? When are you going to go to Voyages Paradis and ask, who here went on trips with Robert? But I know that there were Cogeco executives who went to Thailand with Robert Gillet. Child prostitution is more widespread in Thailand, Bangkok, than in any other country in the world.

The guys at CHOI FM are attacking people over the airwaves. My opinion has changed a lot since reading over that CRTC doc.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Numure said:
They have the highest number of listeners in Québec City. They are closing it, because it has always been contraversial. Its a Nationalist and Seperatist Radio Station. Only good out of this, every party in Québec is looking to get partial control over the CRTC. They do not know our culture, and shouldnt be given the right to regulate it.

Québec is part of Canada, always has been (and probably always will be). They have every right to regulate TV, Radio and media... especially when it's about personal attacks. The CRTC very well understands culture. Canada is a multiculture country, and Quebec is one of many unique cultures in Canada. It still doesn't give anyone the right to make accusations, attacks and promote racism onair.