The US Voting System is Broken

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
We have a very simple law here in Manitoba...no political contributions by business or unions. The province has done a little better every year since it came into effect.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
I cant tell you how OUTRAGED I am...

Im just furious....

Campaign reform..what CRAP!

How long has that Manitoba law been in effect? And has it been challenged in court yet?

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Reverend Blair said:
We have a very simple law here in Manitoba...no political contributions by business or unions. The province has done a little better every year since it came into effect.

We have something similar here. And the goverment gives a budget to parties, to replace such money. Kinda like the new system Chretien put in place before he left.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
researchok said:
I cant tell you how OUTRAGED I am...

Im just furious....

Campaign reform..what CRAP!

How long has that Manitoba law been in effect? And has it been challenged in court yet?

Even if it is, only the Federal Goverment could overthrow such a law. And interveining in Prrvincial Juristiction in Canada, is suicide.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Hmmm

As far as you know, Numure, has there been any court challenges to that law?

Id imagine the free speech argument would be utilized.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I believe it's been in place for five or six years here, Researchok. One election, at any rate. Most people like it, so any party that backed a challenge to it would be punished at the polls.

I don't believe it's gone to court yet. The PCs and big business absolutely hate it, but it is politically popular.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
I wonder if it would work here.

I have my doubts-- big business, unions, etc would be up in arms.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
researchok said:
I wonder if it would work here.

I have my doubts-- big business, unions, etc would be up in arms.

Unions here supported such changes. Certainly on the federal level. Big Business have been the one complaining the most. But the happiest people of all, this year, are the green party members. Thx to the new law, they will get goverment funding of around 2 million this year. Compared to their normal 25 000$ budget. The money parties get, is determined by the percentage of the votes that they get. You need a minimum of 2% to be elegible.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Hmmmm

Interesting. Political parties here also get govt funding-- unless they choose not to.

crash

Nominee Member
Jul 27, 2004
Nova Scotia
I like campaign finance reform...

That being said, replacing the currupt system we had with grossly tax payers money is just as stupid. Its bad enough some of the things that we have to pay for...

Now lawn signs, election pamphlets? Thats SUPER

Clearly the US system is over the top in the other direction. I like how most of the major companies donate to both parties. It just screams, "we don't care who wins, just give us preferential treatment!"

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
The problem isnt the corporate class.

Its the political leadership of BOTH parties that dont want reform

crash

Nominee Member
Jul 27, 2004
Nova Scotia
Well, thats the reason it is not changing....

The corporate class has has much responsibility as anyone else as to why it is broken in the first place.