U.S. clears way for arms sales to Iraq

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
U.S. clears way for arms sales to Iraq
Reverses ban in place during Saddam regime

WASHINGTON - The Bush administration cleared the way Wednesday to sell arms to Iraq just as it does to other allies, reversing the ban in place for much of Saddam Hussein’s regime.

President Bush made a presidential determination that the standard methods of engaging in munitions transfers with friendly nations are now appropriate in the case of Iraq and will promote democratic reforms, help achieve reconstruction and strengthen the Iraqi government.

The United States, Bush decided, will rely on the Foreign Assistance Act and the Arms Export Control Act in making Iraq eligible for arms sales on a case-by-case basis.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5481810/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
moghrabi:

Does selling weapons to Iraq a part of the so called democracy or another round of give them arms to kill themselves in a civil war and then we will have a reason to go after them to disarm when we need to?

Or is it that Iraq is making good money from oil revenues and the US is eager to benefit from arms sales?

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Paco said:
Someone has to sell them arms so they can defend themselves. If no one sold arms to Iraq, they would be overrun by Iran within weeks of America's leaving.

Who ever said America was going to leave? They are actually planning of establishing 4 permanent bases in Iraq. That way, they could close down the base in Saudi, as in Iraq, they're shere of influence is greater.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Paco said:
Someone has to sell them arms so they can defend themselves. If no one sold arms to Iraq, they would be overrun by Iran within weeks of America's leaving.

They did the same with Saddam when he came to power until recently. They sold him chemical weapons to hit the iranians. Are they going to do the same with new puppet government and then blame them down the road for fighting Iran again?

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
They did the same with Saddam when he came to power until recently. They sold him chemical weapons to hit the iranians. Are they going to do the same with new puppet government and then blame them down the road for fighting Iran again?

That depends on the new government.

Saddam made the CHOICE to use chem weapons. The US sold te Iraqis the precursors only-- as they did to many other countries.

Saddam CHOSE to us echem weapons-- not only against the Iranians, but the Iraqi Kurds as well.

At the time, Iran and Iraq wanted the war-- another set of choices not well made.[/quote]

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
True. But have you heard that the new prime minister of Iraq is going personally and excecuting criminals in jails. I'll tried to find the reference. If this is true, then what's the difference between him and Saddam?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Just another puppet, Moghrabi. Maybe he'll turn out to be a little less evil than Saddam, or maybe not. Hell, he could turn out to be worse.

The US has no intention of ever leaving Iraq. They have not relinquished any real control and they will not do that. Saddam was one of their many Frankenstein monsters. He turned on them . All through the Middle East, Africa proper, South America, Asia, and Eastern Europe, the same basic is still happening that happened in Iraq.

Eventually the US is going to get bit in the ass so many times that it will have no choice but to reconsider its actions.

My fear is that that day of consideration is very far away.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
So install puppets everywhere and the US will be very happy. Iraq will have the largest US embassy in Iraq ever with 3000 employess (CIA) and a criminal ambassador if you are aware of his past in south America. I wonder why????????

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
moghrabi said:
True. But have you heard that the new prime minister of Iraq is going personally and excecuting criminals in jails. I'll tried to find the reference. If this is true, then what's the difference between him and Saddam?

Thats a fair shot.

Key is,
If this is true

Lots of allegations made.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Considering the political situation in Iraq and the need of any new ruler to consolidate his power base, it certainly isn't unlikely.

It is almost impossible to prove too. Unless somebody has pictures I doubt that the testimony of Iraqis will be taken seriously in this matter.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
I don't know-- Allawi doens't HAVE to do it himself.

Personally, I think he's too smart for that.

There's only so long secrets like that can be kept.