Turkey condemns Canada's genocide vote

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Turkey condemns Canada's genocide vote

CTV.ca News Staff

Turkey is condemning a decision by the House of Commons to approve a motion calling the Armenian genocide a "crime against humanity."

Parliament voted Wednesday 153-86 in favour of a private member's bill formally recognizing the genocide of Armenians during the First World War.

Turkey had warned that Canada would face economic consequences if it recognized the killings as genocide, and in a statement issued Thursday accused Canadian legislators of being "narrow-minded."

"Some narrow minded Canadian politicians were not able to understand that such decisions based on ... prejudiced information, will awaken feelings of hatred among people of different (ethnic) roots and disturb social harmony," the statement said.

The Canadian Embassy in Turkey issued a statement Thursday distancing itself from the vote.

"Debates and votes on private member's business in the House of Commons are an integral part of the Canadian democratic process but private members' motions are not binding on the Government of Canada," it said.

It also reiterated Canada's position on the killings from a June 10,1999, vote in the House of Commons as "tragic."

Prime Minister Paul Martin denied allegations that his free votes held much weight.

"The Parliament of Canada has essentially expressed the view of parliamentarians as they see them reflected in the country as a whole," Martin told reporters in Ottawa today.

"Obviously Parliament can have views at the same time government has views," he added, saying that was one of the benefits of parliament reform and parliamentary democracy.

Martin was absent for the vote on the motion, which read: "... this House acknowledges the Armenian genocide of 1915 and condemns this act as a crime against humanity."

About 1.5 million people were killed between 1915-1923, during a campaign to force them out of eastern Turkey.

Turkey's government rejects the label of genocide, saying 2.5 million Muslims were also killed during this period of civil unrest. It estimates 600,000 Armenians were killed.

Canada is among a handful of countries to formally label the killings as genocide. They include Switzerland, France, Argentina, Russia, as well as U.S. state governments. The United Nations have also recognized the genocide.

When French legislators recognized the genocide in 2001, Turkey cancelled millions of dollars worth of defence contracts.

Most Liberal backbenchers voted for the motion Wednesday, while many cabinet ministers were not present.

Martin was accused by the opposition of hypocrisy for promising more free votes but not showing up for this one.

Liberal MP Hedy Fry, who voted for the motion, said it's important to remember the atrocities were carried out by the Ottoman empire, which has since been replaced by the current Turkish state.

"I think we need to recognize the past," she said.

"I think it doesn't mean we've broken ties with the current regime in Turkey. They are our colleagues, they are our NATO allies. They are a moderate, Muslim government and I think we need to work with them."

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Though I believe in maintaining friendly diplomatic realtions with many countries, I believe we *should* recognise what happened in the past. We should recognise them all equally.

My opinion is: if we recognise what happened in WWII (of which I don't know the real numbers) to the people of western and eastern europe by Germany, then we should also recognise those other hostile acts towards any groups.

We should recognise what happened to the Ukrainians. To the russians. To the defeated Germans in eastern europe. To the victims of Israeli hostility. To the victims of American hostility? When will we stand back and take a look at what has happened in recent history?

Anyhow, I'm happy Canada has recognised the genocide that happened in the great war.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
We need to recognise it all. That includes our own crimes. Until we are willing to face all of what has been done we cannot keep them from happening again.

Cyberm4n

Electoral Member
Jun 6, 2002
Toronto
yes we also must recognise ourselves the internment camps during world war ii for the japanese. rumour has it german-canadian citizens were much better treated than japanese.

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
Meow? I agree, this is a good thing. as much as some people would want to forget, its best to remember and learn from the mistakes of others and map out our future to never repeat these forsaken mistakes

Milton

Apr 26, 2004
Edmonton, Alberta
Yes, I agree that no events should be swept under the rug. I also think that in order to do justice you have to adopt the rituals of justice.
There should have been a complete investigation of all the evidence, witnesses for and against, in other words a proper trial. We don't need this non-binding vote, ( let's pretend it means something), bullshit. It is disrespectful of the victims and of the accused. All they did was obfuscate a piece of history.

thehistorian

May 12, 2006
A turkey that acts like an ostrich
History not based on actual events makes for a good fiction book. Why Turkey still denies this ever occured, with the thousands of pictures and eyewitness accounts, I don't know. Even the Ottoman Courts at that time found 3 of the Ottoman Generals responsible for war crimes against humanity. Yes they even deny this.

Why can't they just admit that their predecessors made that mistake? Maybe they think that the whole world is like their low class stupid muslim followers that will believe whatever the government says.

Please set the events of history correctly and tell the truth. Remember, the truth does not have versions!

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I feel that this is a good vote if it recognizes the genocide that occured in the Turkish area, then ottoman area that killed an estimated 1.5 million, possibly more and possibly less.

And to thehistorian, if you were a real historian which is highly unlikely. In history, you look at all sides in the case you just don't look at one side because that is blatant bias which is a no-no within the historian profession.

And since you call them muslim stupid low class people, you are the exact same thing. A bunch of trash that should be thrown to the curb and pushed aside with history.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I feel that this is a good vote if it recognizes the genocide that occured in the Turkish area, then ottoman area that killed an estimated 1.5 million, possibly more and possibly less.

And to thehistorian, if you were a real historian which is highly unlikely. In history, you look at all sides in the case you just don't look at one side because that is blatant bias which is a no-no within the historian profession.

And since you call them muslim stupid low class people, you are the exact same thing. A bunch of trash that should be thrown to the curb and pushed aside with history.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The story about the genocide

pops up every few years. There is no doubt that it happened. The Turkish government is under some pressure from the European Union to own up to the fact that there was a genocide, . Turkey is trying to join that European Union and the problem is that the current Turkish government has publically voiced very strong denial that any genocide ever happened. A reversal of position would not help their image.