Killer bees sting dog to death; injure two men

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Killer bees sting dog to death; injure two men
Postmedia Network
First posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 05:45 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 05:55 PM EDT
A beekeeper harvesting honey was stung “too many times to count” and a pit bull was killed when the bees rebelled.
Cops say the 53-year-old man from Modesto, Calif., was shocked when the bees turned and began stinging him.
His protective suit did not protect him but the bees didn’t stop there. Next, they attacked two big dogs.
Their owner tried to save them but was stung several times himself.
Finally, a professional bee expert waited until sundown when he removed the hive containing around 4,200 bees. But before they could be removed, the occupants of 45 nearby homes were ordered to clear out.
In the end the beekeeper was unable to move the hive and the bees were euthanized.
Cops were at a loss to explain why the bees became agitated and attacked.
The beekeeper was treated at hospital and released.
Killer bees sting dog to death; injure two men | World | News | Toronto Sun

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I wonder if these are bees that have interbred with the more aggressive bees from S. America? I recall hearing about their northern migration which would eventually bring them to the US. This incident happened in California. I wonder if there is a connection?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
There is only one group that is stupid enough to study African killer bees by insisting the be brought to South America to be studied. Too bad the cold air keeps them from moving to all points in North America.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The bees were probably planted by Muslims.
Really?? Me thinks you have your groups mixeed up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warwick_Estevam_Kerr
Biography

Kerr was born in 1922 in Santana do Parnaíba, São Paulo, Brazil, the son of Américo Caldas Kerr and Bárbara Chaves Kerr. The Kerr family immigrated by way of the United States. His family is originally from Scotland. The family moved to Pirapora do Bom Jesus, SP in 1925. He attended secondary school and the preparatory course at the Mackenzie in São Paulo and subsequently was admitted to the Escola Superior de Agricultura Luiz de Queiroz of the University of São Paulo, at Piracicaba, São Paulo, where he graduated as agricultural engineer.
From March 1975 to April 1979, Kerr moved to Manaus, Amazonas, as director of the National Institute of Amazonia Research (INPA), a research institute of the National Council of Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq). He officially retired from the University of São Paulo in January 1981, but not from scientific life. Exactly eleven days later he accepted a position as Full Professor at the Universidade Estadual do Maranhão in São Luís, state of Maranhão, where he became responsible for creating the Department of Biology; and, for a short period (1987–1988) served also as Dean of the University. He moved to the Universidade Federal de Uberlândia, in Uberlândia, state of Minas Gerais, in February 1988, as a Professor of Genetics.
Kerr is married to Lygia Sansigolo Kerr and has seven children (Florence, Lucy, Americo, Jacira, Ligia Regina, Tânia and Hélio Augusto) as well as 17 grandchildren (Caetano, Bárbara, Priscila, Beatriz, Gustavo, Daniel, Sabrina, Frederico, Carla, Marta, Alexandre, Lucas, Jonatas, Mateus, Flávia, Warwick Neto, Tiago).

Yup thank Gawd I live in Canada, no bees here..
We aren't out of the woods yet. Can you say 'mosquito'??

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I thought I had seen the breeding paper before. I managed to find it.

Less than 35 years after members of a honeybee subspecies living in Africa (Apis mellifera scutellata) were released outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, their descendants-the Africanized bees- had migrated as far north as southern Texas. Today the bees occupy a range of about 20 million square kilometers, encompassing much of South America and virtually all of Central America. And their spread continues. They reached Arizona in 1993 and are expected to colonize parts of the southern U.S. be- fore being stopped by climatic limits, probably by the year 2000.

https://neuron.illinois.edu/files/U8_L3_Reading_AfricanizedBeeInvasion.docx