Jim Pattison donates $75M to Vancouver's St. Paul's Hospital Foundation

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Way to Go, Mr. Pattison!!

The St. Paul's Foundation says the donation is the largest by a private citizen to a single medical facility in Canadian history.

"Jim Pattison's gift will help us realize an exceptionally rare opportunity to build a major medical and research centre from the ground up," foundation CEO Dick Vollet said at the announcement on Tuesday morning.

The donation will help build the Jim Pattison Medical Centre, an 18-acre health campus, which will be built near Main Street and Terminal Avenue in East Vancouver.

The foundation says the new medical centre will include the new St. Paul's hospital, the provincial heart centre, the Centre for Heart Lung Innovation, the B.C. Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS and other research centres, primary and specialized clinics and facilities for "life sciences industry partners."

The rest plus pics:
Jim Pattison donates $75M to Vancouver's St. Paul's Hospital Foundation - British Columbia - CBC News

Mokkajava

Electoral Member
Nov 14, 2016
Saskatchewan
Oh Wow. That is a crazy huge amount...and a massive project undertaking. I am especially surprised by the location of the new 18 acre health campus... the heart of the downtown east side.my jaw is on the floor

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Oh Wow. That is a crazy huge amount...and a massive project undertaking. I am especially surprised by the location of the new 18 acre health campus... the heart of the downtown east side.my jaw is on the floor

But it's a good feeling, having your jaw on the floor for this type of reason. lol.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Damn, that's a LOT of money to give away I don't care who you are. Great job Mr. Pattison. I'm one who generally believes that true charity is anonymous but I rather imagine when donating such a massive sum of cash, it would be difficult to keep it anonymous even if you wanted to.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
Damn, that's a LOT of money to give away I don't care who you are. Great job Mr. Pattison. I'm one who generally believes that true charity is anonymous but I rather imagine when donating such a massive sum of cash, it would be difficult to keep it anonymous even if you wanted to.
I think Mr.P explained or more so what is obvious to the intelligent mind on why he is public with his generosity
We as the public was able to see Mr.Ps sharp mind as he explained the process he engages in before charities are chosen,he self admitted he is more careful with giving away money ,and gave away in a foolish manner
The cash gift was one thing but to have a sneak peak view on Mr P the man of character and wisdom was s bigger gift
It's always ok to go public with generosity if wisdom is provided

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
We obviously aren't taxing him enough eh ?

This "charitable good deeds" thing obviously escapes you. That is what Conservatism used to look like before it was hijacked by Republican wannabees.

Our local hospital was recently replaced by a newer, shinier and much bigger one that as also helped by sizeable donations, the biggest donor is very much like Mr. Pattison.

http://beta.theglobeandmail.com/rep...20675923/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

Good for both of them.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Looks like he is attempting to pull off the old J.D. Rockefeller turnaround. Act like a ruthless businessman for decades and then attempt to redeem your image through well-publicized charitable donations.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Looks like he is attempting to pull off the old J.D. Rockefeller turnaround. Act like a ruthless businessman for decades and then attempt to redeem your image through well-publicized charitable donations.

Can't really agree with that. I think he's been a very generous man and a hard worker. I know he was renowned for firing a salesman a month, but not everyone or even most people are cut out to be salesmen. Pattison will definitely leave the world a better place than he found it.

Way to Go, Mr. Pattison!!

The St. Paul's Foundation says the donation is the largest by a private citizen to a single medical facility in Canadian history.

"Jim Pattison's gift will help us realize an exceptionally rare opportunity to build a major medical and research centre from the ground up," foundation CEO Dick Vollet said at the announcement on Tuesday morning.

The donation will help build the Jim Pattison Medical Centre, an 18-acre health campus, which will be built near Main Street and Terminal Avenue in East Vancouver.

The foundation says the new medical centre will include the new St. Paul's hospital, the provincial heart centre, the Centre for Heart Lung Innovation, the B.C. Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS and other research centres, primary and specialized clinics and facilities for "life sciences industry partners."

The rest plus pics:
Jim Pattison donates $75M to Vancouver's St. Paul's Hospital Foundation - British Columbia - CBC News

Anyone who wants to denigrate that charitable act is sick in the head.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Can't really agree with that. I think he's been a very generous man and a hard worker. I know he was renowned for firing a salesman a month, but not everyone or even most people are cut out to be salesmen. Pattison will definitely leave the world a better place than he found it.

Anyone who wants to denigrate that charitable act is sick in the head.

A truly charitable man does not publicize his acts to the nth degree. This is a billionaire who is showboating in an attempt to cover up for a rather dubious past.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A truly charitable man does not publicize his acts to the nth degree. This is a billionaire who is showboating in an attempt to cover up for a rather dubious past.

Easy for you to say- the man gave up a good year of his life to ensure the running of Expo 86 was successful. Just the final sentence in your post goes a long way to high light just how stupid you really are. I doubt if you could give away 75 cents without being detected let alone $75 million. When $75 million shows up in a British Columbian charity who else would be suspected. I highly doubt it would be you. A little "sour grapes" perhaps! :) :)

On another note now much money ($10 million??) did the man contribute toward the restoration of Stanley Park shortly after a vicious storm near the beginning of the new millennia?

Last edited:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Easy for you to say- the man gave up a good year of his life to ensure the running of Expo 86 was successful. Just the final sentence in your post goes a long way to high light just how stupid you really are. I doubt if you could give away 75 cents without being detected let alone $75 million. When $75 million shows up in a British Columbian charity who else would be suspected. I highly doubt it would be you. A little "sour grapes" perhaps! :) :)

On another note now much money ($10 million??) did the man contribute toward the restoration of Stanley Park shortly after a vicious storm near the beginning of the new millennia?

I'm afraid I can't help it if you want to idolize a right wing a$$hole.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm afraid I can't help it if you want to idolize a right wing a$$hole.

By "right wing a$$hole" I take it you mean someone who agrees with amassing wealth (and sharing it) by working hard at doing honest work. I gather that you consider yourself to be a "left wing a$$hole".