Michael Dunahee vanished 26 years ago today

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
He would have turned 30 yrs old today. The police came to our house and asked if we'd seen anything.

My daughter was born Nov of that same year and Michael Dunahee's disappearance haunted me so much, that I never took my eyes of my daughter for a second and I thought about him all the time and wondered...

It’s one of Canada’s best known missing persons cases: Michael Dunahee, who vanished in Victoria more than two decades ago.

It was March 24th, 1991. The Dunahee family was on the way to a field for a football game when four-year-old Michael asked to go to the nearby playground where there were other kids.

Michael went while his parents unloaded the car. His father was supposed to go supervise him. But less than two minutes later, they turned around and he was gone.

Crystal Dunahee, his mother, says her family will never give up hope. “I can’t imagine anybody else having to go through what we’ve been going through. It’s a nightmare. It’s a continual nightmare because you just don’t know,” she told NEWS 1130 in an interview back in 2014.

The family never changed their home phone number because it was something Michael knew. And as hard as it has been on the Dunahee family, Crystal remains optimistic they’ll find him one day.

The case remains open and the investigation is still active. There have been thousands of tips over the years but never anything solid enough to lead police to either Michael or an arrest of someone who may be responsible for his disappearance.

If you have any information about the case you are asked to call the Victoria Police Detective Tip Line at (250) 995-7444 or at (250) 995-7654.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
That is sad. I can't think that it is good that nothing has turned up. Seems to me if he is alive, he would have surfaced somewhere by now. After all he would be a man now and unlikely to be desirable to the pedophile who abducted him anymore.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
That is sad. I can't think that it is good that nothing has turned up. Seems to me if he is alive, he would have surfaced somewhere by now. After all he would be a man now and unlikely to be desirable to the pedophile who abducted him anymore.

yes, unless he was told that his family didn't love him and gave him away or he's suffered stockholme syndrome or he's been so traumatized by his experience that his shame keeps him away. Or he doesn't even know he's Michael Dunahee..

I feel he's most likely dead and probably has been for the past 25yrs at least. Except that nothing has turned up...

I can't begin to imagine what his parents have gone through. Breaks my heart to think about it.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I remember when he went missing. We were living in Victoria and it was quite a manhunt.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
He would have turned 30 yrs old today. The police came to our house and asked if we'd seen anything.

My daughter was born Nov of that same year and Michael Dunahee's disappearance haunted me so much, that I never took my eyes of my daughter for a second and I thought about him all the time and wondered...

It’s one of Canada’s best known missing persons cases: Michael Dunahee, who vanished in Victoria more than two decades ago.

It was March 24th, 1991. The Dunahee family was on the way to a field for a football game when four-year-old Michael asked to go to the nearby playground where there were other kids.

Michael went while his parents unloaded the car. His father was supposed to go supervise him. But less than two minutes later, they turned around and he was gone.

Crystal Dunahee, his mother, says her family will never give up hope. “I can’t imagine anybody else having to go through what we’ve been going through. It’s a nightmare. It’s a continual nightmare because you just don’t know,” she told NEWS 1130 in an interview back in 2014.

The family never changed their home phone number because it was something Michael knew. And as hard as it has been on the Dunahee family, Crystal remains optimistic they’ll find him one day.

The case remains open and the investigation is still active. There have been thousands of tips over the years but never anything solid enough to lead police to either Michael or an arrest of someone who may be responsible for his disappearance.

If you have any information about the case you are asked to call the Victoria Police Detective Tip Line at (250) 995-7444 or at (250) 995-7654.

I remember it well, we were living in Parksville at the time. Saddest event I can recall. I think his Mum and Dad split years later...........couldn't overcome the grief.

I never realized he disappeared on his birthday.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
So terribly sad.

We had a similar case where a young boy named Jacob Wetterling was kidnapped and murdered. It took nearly 30 years to solve it. Hopefully, some day we will find a way to protect all of our children.