'12th Century' McDonald's in Shrewsbury set to close

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A McDonald's with more than a nugget of history is serving up its last Big Macs this weekend.

The building that has been home to the burger chain in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, for the last 34 years is thought to be the oldest in the world to house a McDonald's, with parts of it dating back to the 1100s.

Yesterday it closed its doors for the last time, as the ancient building isn't suitable for the chain's future plans.

Ye Olde Big Mac and fries set to go as McDonald's closes branch in 12th century medieval building

McDonald's in Shrewsbury has more than a nugget of history behind its doors

The building is hundreds of years old, with parts dating back to the 1100s

Customers have enjoyed Big Macs in medieval settings for 34 years

But the branch will serve fries for the last time on Saturday as it closes for good

By Rebecca Taylor For Mailonline
25 February 2017

A McDonald's with more than a nugget of history is serving up its last Big Macs this weekend.

The building that has been home to the burger chain in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, for the last 34 years is thought to be the oldest in the world to house a McDonald's, with parts of it dating back to the 1100s.

On Saturday, it is closing its doors for the last time, as the ancient building isn't suitable for the chain's future plans.

The McDonald's building is available to let again now that the lease has expired for the burger chain

The Shrewsbury branch of the fast food restaurant has features dating back hundreds of years and the decor they've added keeps that in mind

The historic fast food chain has wooden balconies, stained glass windows and exposed stone walls.

Diners have enjoyed Big Macs and happy meals in the medieval building since 1982.

A McDonald's spokeswoman said: 'We are sad to confirm that our Shrewsbury restaurant will close on February 25 after 34 years of trading when the lease expires.

The incredible restaurant even features stained-glass windows and has been furnished with older style seating to finish the look

Customers have been able to eat their Big Macs and happy meals in the historic building since 1982

Burger lovers would have had a pretty unique view and setting while tucking into their meals as this is thought to be the oldest building in the country with a McDonald's

Despite its life as a burger joint, the restaurant kept and maintained the medieval features, some of which dated back to the 1100s

When the restaurant first announced closure the people of Shrewsbury shared their memories and confusion and said it was the 'most unique' they'd been too

'This decision has not been taken lightly but unfortunately the building is not suitable to meet our future plans.

'All employees will be offered roles in neighbouring restaurants.

'We will continue to have a strong offering in the town, with two other drive-thru restaurants in Shrewsbury, and remain committed to the Shropshire area.'

The chain said the decision had not been taken lightly, but that the building would not be suitable for its future plans any more

Charlie Griffin, 17, and Summer-Jane Stevenson-Jones, 17, enjoy their meals in the last days of the Shrewsbury branch

A medieval style chandelier helps diners feel like they could be eating in the time of Richard I

Regular customer Leah Watkiss, 49, of Shrewsbury, has been visiting the restaurant for over 20 years.

She said: 'I bet there isn't a McDonald's in the country that has as much character as this place.

'It will be really sad to see it go. I've got some great memories from my childhood of school parties here.

'Then in my teenage years, we used to hang out here a lot and even now I'll still have a McDonald's as a treat.'

Student Matt White, 20, who also lives in the town, added: 'It's been a part of the high street for years and a really cool old fashioned building.

'I think its a shame it has closed and I hope it will go to good use as its full of character.

'There's not many McDonald's out there where you get to sit at a wooden table and look at a stained glass window as you eat your Big Mac.'

McDonald's lovers have shared their pictures of their last meals at the branch, as they enjoy the unique surroundings for the final time

The back part of the chain is believed to be the oldest bit, with a 12th century wall, with its mix of stone and brick

Staff at the restaurant, like Charlie, above, have been transferred to other branches nearby, McDonalds said

Liberal Democrat Councillor Andrew Bannerman said: 'Nobody likes to see a business closing.

'This has been one that has been popular with many people.'

People in the town have been paying their own tributes to the building, with local nightclub Inferno set to hold an 'RIP Pride Hill McDonald's' party on March 4.

The ad claims that free burgers, nuggets and fries will be given away.

WHAT WAS ON THE MEDIEVAL MENU?

The McDonald's may only be about three decades old but the building dates from the 1100s.

Bread formed a large part of the diet in the Middle Ages, white for the rich and rye and barley for the poor.

A kind of stew called pottage was also common, made with oats as well as beans, peas, turnips, or parsnips.

The main supply of meat was from pigs or mutton, with black pudding made from the blood.

It would have been washed down with milk, water, or ale.

Source: History Learning Site