Stinky Green Energy Unwanted in Richmond BC

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Published on Oct 27 2016
Matt Kieltyka
METRO

There’s barely a day that goes by when residents don’t complain about Richmond’s big stink.

But Mayor Malcolm Brodie hopes the funk coming from the Harvest Power composting facility – where most of the region’s recycled food scraps end up – will be significantly reduced once the company makes some much-needed improvements and the Metro Vancouver regional district ramps up enforcement under the terms of the site’s new permit issued Sept. 30.

“We get complaints almost every day, either phone calls or emails or letters, from residents not just in our city but elsewhere in the region,” said Brodie. “It’s not just the Riverport area (where Harvest Power operates) that gets it. I think it’s fair to say there is nobody who lives in Richmond that has not smelled it.”

Richmond city council was briefed Monday night on the new air quality permit issues to Harvest Power by Metro Vancouver.

The permit, valid until 2020, introduces a series of odour reduction targets over its lifespan and new conditions that will allow the district to take action if necessary.

Ray Robb, division manager of environmental regulation and enforcement at Metro Vancouver, said the district will now be able to prevent Harvest Power from accepting any more food scraps if officers detect odours more than five kilometres from the site for more than four days over a two-week period.

The company has also committed to millions of dollars worth of improvements to its piping system to ensure sufficient oxygen flow into compost piles, which prevent anaerobic odours.

“Their experts told them if they can keep the compost much more aerobic, they should be able to deal with most of the odours,” Robb said.

“So we said OK, we will give you the chance to prove yourself but we’re not going to put up with odours like we did the last summer and, certainly, this fall. They’ve come forward with their plan. We know it will improve things, no doubt about it, the question is how much? That’s why we only gave them a three-and-a-half year permit … to basically hold their feet to the fire.”

The facility has been operating in Richmond for more than 20 years but odours only became a problem in recent years as the region stepped up residential food waste recycling programs.

“As the facility has gotten larger and taken on more customers and product, I think it’s gotten worse,” said Brodie. “The frequency and the degree of smell has certainly increased to now when it’s almost a daily event.”

Robb said dealing with compost facilities has been one of the “growing pains” of moving toward zero waste communities.

Future plants, like the indoor one being built in Surrey, have additional treatment technology such as gas scrubbers and big stacks to minimize odours.

That plant will also take some of the volume away from the Harvest Power facility, which should cut down on odour on its own.

Brodie says the company has shown “intention and motivation” to address the problems but encouraged citizens to keep filing complaints to Metro Vancouver when the smells get out of hand.

For its part, Robb promised the district will be keep its nose to the grindstone so residents don’t have to plug theirs.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Try taking a drive down I-20 through Big Spring Texas. It smells like the entire population of the town is on a constant farting episode. They say it's sulfur but I think it's butt wind. Probably people there enjoy navy bean and ham soup daily.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Nice trade off if you think about it . They shut down the canneries and their reduction plants in Steveston making the land practically priceless and lost that little area . Richmond's tax base made a huge net gain .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's off of Blundell and No 8. Eastern Richmond. It's by the Adesa auto auction. We've being doing UAV test flights out there and yeah, it's a rank smell. Canneries and cow sh-t smell like roses in comparison.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
OK so this AM I realised I was smelling that reek- I thought it was ordinary mushroom manure since it's an area that always under construction with all kind of new landscaping around.

But no this is a fresher/wetter reek with a hint of garbage that sticks in the back of one's throat-truly awful but not really noticeable from inside a vehicle.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
It's off of Blundell and No 8. Eastern Richmond. It's by the Adesa auto auction. We've being doing UAV test flights out there and yeah, it's a rank smell. Canneries and cow sh-t smell like roses in comparison.
No doubt , but the land is still A L R and cheap compared to Steveston .

Were you on 91A or 17?
Right , there is also the sewage treatment plant on A.I .this can certainly produce reek .