Dead or Alive singer Pete Burns dies aged 57

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Stars have paid tribute to Dead or Alive singer Pete Burns, who has died aged 57 after having a cardiac arrest.

Soft Cell frontman Marc Almond tweeted that Burns was "a one-off creation, a fabulous, fantastic, brilliant creature and always sweet to me".

He added: "...and one of Liverpool's brightest lights. A world less strange and crazily colourful .#peteburns"

Burns, whose band had a hit with You Spin Me Round in 1985 and appeared on Celebrity Big Brother in 2006, died on Sunday.

Pete Burns: Stars remember 'brilliant', 'eccentric' singer

BBC News
25 October 2016

The singer was described as "a cross between Oscar Wilde and Dorothy Parker"

Stars have paid tribute to Dead or Alive singer Pete Burns, who has died aged 57 after having a cardiac arrest.

Soft Cell frontman Marc Almond tweeted that Burns was "a one-off creation, a fabulous, fantastic, brilliant creature and always sweet to me".

He added: "...and one of Liverpool's brightest lights. A world less strange and crazily colourful .#peteburns"

Burns, whose band had a hit with You Spin Me Round in 1985 and appeared on Celebrity Big Brother in 2006, died on Sunday.

Boy George said he was "one of our great true eccentrics and such a big part of my life! Wow. Hard to believe!"

'The most naturally talented person'

Wayne Hussey, a former guitarist with Dead Or Alive, currently on tour as a singer with The Mission, wrote on Facebook that it was "devastating news".

"Pete was and will remain quite possibly the most naturally talented person I have ever worked with," he wrote.

"Always larger than life, which sometimes tended to obscure that fact, with the quickest and most wicked tongue, he was always huge fun to be around. I loved Pete and learnt so much from him.

"Today is indeed a very sad day for me. Pete will always live large, and very fondly, in my memory. RIP, dear friend."

Burns appeared on a number of reality TV shows in recent years

Joe Musker, a former drummer with Dead Or Alive, told BBC Radio 5 live: "He was the ace face in Liverpool. He was just so flamboyant and just right out there with his dress and that. He always looked absolutely amazing and it was a pleasure to work with him."

Other stars paid tribute to the singer on Twitter, with TV presenter Davina McCall writing: "So so sad to hear about Pete Burns... we partied hard in the 90s... RIP Pete x".

Ordinary Boys frontman Preston, who also appeared on Celebrity Big Brother with Burns, said: "Heartbroken to hear about Pete Burns.

He was a true punk rocker and one of the kindest hearts I've ever know. Gutted."

Spandau Ballet co-founder Steve Norman tweeted: "Rest peacefully, Pete," while ABC frontman Martin Fry said: "RIP Pete Burns One of the greats has gone".

1980s pop star Marilyn wrote: "Absolute shock at the news of Pete Burns death...only just saw him...my sincerest wishes to his family, friends, and fans."

Liverpool pop band Dead or Alive are famous for their 1985 chart-topping hit You Spin Me Round

George Galloway appeared in Celebrity Big Brother with Burns 10 years ago

Burns appeared on reality television shows Celebrity Wife Swap and The Body Shocking Show in recent years.

Politician George Galloway, who was on Celebrity Big Brother with Burns, tweeted: "Sad to hear of the demise of Pete Burns. He was a cross between Oscar Wilde and Dorothy Parker. You don't get more brilliant than that. RIP".

The news broke after Burns's management posted a statement saying it was with "greatest sadness" that they had to announce the star had died suddenly on Sunday.

The management statement said: "All of his family and friends are devastated by the loss of our special star."

"He was a true visionary, a beautiful talented soul, and he will be missed by all who loved and appreciated everything he was and all of the wonderful memories he has left us with."

Follow us on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts, on Instagram, or if you have a story suggestion email entertainment.news@bbc.co.uk.

Pete Burns: Stars remember 'brilliant', 'eccentric' singer - BBC News