http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/internet-canadian-content-government-1.3810251

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Internet price hikes could be coming as Ottawa reviews cultural policy, critics warn - Business - CBC News

Does the government really think Canadian content is so crappy as to need protection like an endangered species?

And who defines 'Canadian content?'

For example, my wife and I usually watch Chinese films? Why? Because the government has decided that 'Canadian' is synonymous with Anglo-French. If it just cut media taxes and let the market decide, maybe we'd have more Chinese films made in Canada too. I'm not a hyphenated Anglo-French but Canadian, so why not just let the market decide?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The owners should go dot.org and spend a lot on security that you don't really need to help bolster jobs. Insure each hard-drive from terrorist attacks and each hd would be a separate attack, like on 9/11.
Trump will push that drug testing onto Congress and the Senate while letting the unemployed have some slack. If I might offer a suggestion the option of seeing what other sites are posting about the same topic might be pretty easy as the bots must dump their searches somewhere.

With video becoming so popular the replies could reference 30 seconds of a vid as what the poster is agreeing with or objecting to.

There is some talk of Trump TV being possible should he win the election. That would start with a lot of arrests I would think and the channels could be to the individual trials. The one turned over to the UN for international crimes would have their own feed and both would be covered as well as pro sports is these days. (for a lot less money)
Perhaps there can be a 'locker-room channel'

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
An ISP tax hey! Kind of adding more to an already thick padding. Canadians already pay some of the highest prices in the industrialized world for "much inferior service". Our forever gouging broadcasting backers of course want this tax, and when it was proposed to the Liberals, they could see only the $$ signs. How about getting us into the 21st century on this front, and not give in to our large, very rich controlling industries by telling them to f%$#k off and stop gouging Canadians. A digital tax is a bandage solution, and we now have to pay for this bandage, no thank you, put your thinking cap on, and fix your problem. How about charging foreign online service like the rest of the world, instead of taxing us more. Canada is behind and needs to be brought in the digital world in a much fairer approach.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
But without intervention, people will just watch what they want, and we can't have that. We must have them watch Canadian content, and that means programs in English and French, made 100% in Canada with Canadian-born actors speaking in a standard Canadian accent and that shows them eating poutine on-screen.

And every approved film must show a hockey scene for at least one minute.

Besides, isn't a carbon tax already an indirect tax on the internet? Think about it, a rocket that sends a satellite into space consumes a fair bit of carbon, no?

I actually support a carbon tax, in part because it's an effective broad tax. But if it's to serve as a broad tax, we don't want to start slapping taxes on taxes now.