RAF helicopter crashes into mountain

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Four passengers and crew on an RAF helicopter have survived after it crashed into a mountain peak in Snowdonia.

Witnesses said thick black smoke could be seen for miles around the top of the Welsh peak.

Walkers on the mountain in north-west Wales reported seeing 10ft high flames.

BREAKING NEWS: Four survive RAF helicopter crash on mountain peak in Snowdonia as witnesses report seeing flames 10ft high and thick black smoke for miles

An RAF Griffin helicopter crashed and caught fire on a Snowdonia peak

All four passengers and crew who were on board have been reported safe

Walkers on the mountain in north Wales reported seeing 10ft high flames

By Thomas Burrows for MailOnline
9 August 2016

Four passengers and crew on an RAF helicopter have survived after it crashed into a mountain peak in Snowdonia.

Witnesses said thick black smoke could be seen for miles around the top of the Welsh peak.

Walkers on the mountain in north-west Wales reported seeing 10ft high flames.

An RAF Griffin helicopter crashed and caught fire on a Snowdonia peak with smoke seen for miles

Huw Price, who was on the summit of Snowdon, Wales's highest mountain, took this picture of smoke coming from the peak

The crash happened at the Yr Aran (Welsh for "The Peak") mountain peak (pictured) in Snowdonia, north Wales

An RAF Griffin helicopter like the one which has crashed

Witness Huw Price wrote on Twitter: 'A helicopter has crash landed on top of a mountain across from Snowdonia. Huge fire, can see the flames from here.'

He added: 'There was a helicopter – looked blue and yellow to me – flying in the valley below Snowdon. It circled around the Watkins path that I was on. There was no bang or explosion – I thought it had flown away until a few minutes later when I noticed the fire.

'You could see the flames from Snowdon and the smoke was thick and black.'

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: 'A Griffin training helicopter safely completed a precautionary landing in Snowdonia this afternoon following a technical issue.

'All four people on board exited safely, subsequently the aircraft caught fire. Emergency services are on the scene.'

An air exclusion zone has been put in place.

Firefighters, the police and the ambulance service have headed to the scene, along with mountain rescue teams from Ogwen Valley and Aberglaslyn.

A coastguard rescue helicopter has also been called to assist the teams.

An spokesperson for the Welsh Ambulance Service said: 'We were called at about 1.50pm to reports of an incident in the Snowdonia area.

'The Wales Air Ambulance has been sent to respond and is currently in attendance at the scene.'

Thick black smoke could be seen rising from the mountain in the Yr Aran area of Snowdonia

Last edited: