Indian Re-Rape

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
According to the Washington Post, An Indian rape survivor was allegedly raped again by the same five men.

I hope the Indian authorities pursue this investigation, and if warranted, prosecution with due diligence and respect for the trauma the victim has suffered and the legal rights of the accused.

Last edited:

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Luckily, Trump will be blocking all the East Indian Rapists from entering the USA and keeping them in their own country so that they can make soccer balls & tea kettles for Walmart.

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It's a shame this thread never achieved the high quality of debate we've come to expect around here.

Maybe if actually held out for that standard, you might achieve it.

But it's easier to criticize than hold yourself to a standard you condescendingly put down others for not attaining.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Way I see it, Cord, is that on the national level, the Indian upper class is trying to install something like a modern legal system, for several reasons:

1. Appearance to the West.
2. Increasing understanding that women as equal members of society are critical to India's success.
3. Desire for instituting modern structures in place of these barbaric village councils, and de-emphasizing the caste system that's holding them back.
4. General decency and advancing morality.

Of course, as with everything in India, there's enormous inertia about the system, and it's hard to find enough force to push move the boulder. I calculate they'll succeed eventually, but it's gonna be a rough, uneven process, continually sidetracked and blocked by both the intransigence of the old-styles and the upper class's own interest in seeing India rise, but making sure the rising tide lifts their boats higher'n anybody else's.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Way I see it, Cord, is that on the national level, the Indian upper class is trying to install something like a modern legal system, for several reasons:

1. Appearance to the West.
2. Increasing understanding that women as equal members of society are critical to India's success.
3. Desire for instituting modern structures in place of these barbaric village councils, and de-emphasizing the caste system that's holding them back.
4. General decency and advancing morality.

Of course, as with everything in India, there's enormous inertia about the system, and it's hard to find enough force to push move the boulder. I calculate they'll succeed eventually, but it's gonna be a rough, uneven process, continually sidetracked and blocked by both the intransigence of the old-styles and the upper class's own interest in seeing India rise, but making sure the rising tide lifts their boats higher'n anybody else's.

I think you're putting too much stock in the Indian ruling class's altruism. Gender equality and justice needs to come from the grassroots. I don't know a lot about Indian politics, but given the vast wealth inequality in the country, its labour force being the near the bottom of the global capitalist system, and the reactionary sectarian politics that plague the country, I'd suspect that the country's elites have more in common with the global economic ruling class than they do with their own people.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I think you're putting too much stock in the Indian ruling class's altruism. Gender equality and justice needs to come from the grassroots. I don't know a lot about Indian politics, but given the vast wealth inequality in the country, its labour force being the near the bottom of the global capitalist system, and the reactionary sectarian politics that plague the country, I'd suspect that the country's elites have more in common with the global economic ruling class than they do with their own people.
Of course. That's always true.

But you mistake me in putting too much on altruism. That's why I put it last, it ain't a big factor. Much bigger factors are the whole new-kid desire of the upper class to have the world upper class see them as civilized (nobody, however rich, likes being looked down on), and the knowledge that half of the smart people in India are women (maybe more'n half). The old system goes hand in glove with denying girls equal education, which wastes that resource. I'm sure the upper class don't give two hoots about the 50+ percent of people in India that never will be good for more than hoeing a row, but they want to pull out the pearls and shine 'em up.

You overestimate the grassroots. Real progress comes from the middle class. But I think we can agree that all three are important, and unless you have general agreement among the three classes, the job's that much harder.