Police Respond to Black Lives Matter

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Minn. cop fatally shoots black man during traffic stop

By Michael E. Miller and Wesley Lowery July 7

A Minnesota traffic stop turned deadly Wednesday evening as a police officer opened fire on a black driver.

The victim, 32-year-old Philando Castile, died at a Minneapolis hospital, a family member told The Washington Post.

The St. Anthony Police Department confirmed the driver’s death during a brief Thursday morning press conference but did not identify the officer involved in the shooting or the officer’s race.

The bloody aftermath of the confrontation was broadcast live on Facebook by a female passenger in the car.

“He killed my boyfriend,” said the woman, whose Facebook page named her as Lavish Reynolds, as blood soaked through Castile’s shirt.

In the video, Reynolds says Castile was legally licensed to carry a firearm and was reaching for his identification when the officer opened fire.

“He let the officer know that he had a firearm and he was reaching for his wallet and the officer just shot him in his arm,” she says.
As Castile moans and appears to lose consciousness, the officer can be heard in the background shouting expletives in apparent frustration.

“Mam, keep your hands where they are,” the officer shouts at Reynolds. “I told him not to reach for it! I told him to get his hands up.”

“You told him to get his ID, sir, his driver’s license,” Reynolds responds. “Oh my god. Please don’t tell me he’s dead. Please don’t tell me my boyfriend just went like that.”

The incident took place in Falcon Heights, Minn., a quiet suburb of St. Paul that is a few miles from St. Anthony.

It comes less than 48 hours after the fatal, video-taped police shooting of another black man, Alton Sterling, in Baton Rouge, La.

In both cases, cellphone video footage of the incident or its immediate aftermath quickly circulated on social media, fueling anger and protests over the police officers’ actions.

From her video, Reynolds appears to have begun recording seconds after her boyfriend was shot, just after 9 p.m. local time. (The footage appears to have been flipped when it was uploaded to social media sites, mistakenly suggesting Castile was the passenger in the car when, in fact, he was the driver.)

More at link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...p-table-low_mm-minnesota-140am:homepage/story

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
There are fake problems (like worrying about terrorism) and then there are real problems in America.

This is one of the real ones.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
There are fake problems (like worrying about terrorism) and then there are real problems in America.

This is one of the real ones.
Nah, just a dead black man. Blue lives matter. Tough, dangerous job. Keeping us safe. He had a gun. Officer safety. Why don't you talk about black-on-black violence?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Nah, just a dead black man. Blue lives matter. Tough, dangerous job. Keeping us safe. He had a gun. Officer safety. Why don't you talk about black-on-black violence?

Lol

Well there should always be a higher degree of scrutiny on authority because it requires a higher degree of responsibility.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Philando Castile was murdered while complying with police orders. Or really he was murdered for complying with police orders. If he hadn't been complying with police orders, what might have happened? Dragged onto the street and beaten? Pinned down and executed like Alton Sterling? What else could he have done differently? He's told to get his license and registration, he reaches for it and gets murdered for reaching.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Philando Castile was murdered while complying with police orders. Or really he was murdered for complying with police orders. If he hadn't been complying with police orders, what might have happened? Dragged onto the street and beaten? Pinned down and executed like Alton Sterling? What else could he have done differently? He's told to get his license and registration, he reaches for it and gets murdered for reaching.

I don't think there is any doubt this cop made an error and should answer for it.