US Customs to collect social media names at the border

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Yesterday, US Customs and Border Protection entered a new proposal into the federal register, suggesting a new field in which persons entering the country can declare their various social media accounts and screen names. The information wouldn’t be mandatory, but the proposed field would still provide customs officials with an unprecedented window into the online life of travelers. The process already includes fingerprinting, an in-person interview, and numerous database checks.

The proposal focuses on arrival / departure forms commonly collected from non-citizens at the US border, as well as the electronic form used for anyone entering the country under a visa waiver. Under the proposed changes, those forms would include a new optional data field prompting visitors to "please enter information associated with your online presence," followed by open fields for specific platforms and screen names.

It’s unclear from the proposal how thoroughly officials will examine the social profiles, although it’s clear they will be used for investigative purposes. "Collecting social media data will enhance the existing investigative process and provide DHS greater clarity and visibility to possible nefarious activity and connections," the announcement reads.

The public has 60 days to comment on the new proposal before it will be formally considered. Comments can be mailed to Customs and Border Protection at its Washington office.

Immigration and intelligence agencies have been under increasing pressure to scrutinize social media profiles after the San Bernardino shooting in December of last year. One of the attackers had posted a public announcement on Facebook during the shooting, and had previously sent private Facebook messages to friends discussing violent attacks. Crucially, the private messages were sent before receiving her visa. That news provoked some criticism, although investigators would have needed significantly more than a screen name to see the messages. State Department officials claimed to be reviewing the visa application processes in the wake of the attacks.

US Customs wants to collect social media account names at the border | The Verge

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Hell people are afraid to share their Facebook page here... LOL

I'm sure Canadian will just love offering it to US Customs.

Who knows what they would find if they searched for "BOOMer" here. Is he for Trump? Is he against Trump? Is he for Hillary? Is he against Hillary? The immigration computer may melt down trying to solve those conundrums.

ziebart

Time Out
Jun 26, 2016
As are you Avro.

I'll set the timer to your next meltdown...

Yes, lets test forum rules as they are.

I have seen far more abuses than mine.

Blackleaf the paedophile and misogamist or gerryh the belligerent....both seemingly acceptable.

I could go on about abuses...oh heck...lets do...

Written on a mods wall...

Hi Ron, I will be gone for a while. Petros is becoming psychotic. He is threatening to do me bodily harm. I just thought it was the ravings of a lunatic, but he went to my facebook page and took a picture of me to use as his avatar. He stalks my posts and spews slanderous stuff about me constantly. That kind of obsession is too scary for me. He thinks he knows something about my life but he doesn't. He has built up a story in his mind that has nothing to do with reality. I am afraid his psychosis will escalate if I stay. Not sure if there is anything you can do about it, so I will lie low for a while and see if he will cool off. If I knew his full name, I would be seeking a restraining order.

...any action taken on this?

No no, given this is a web site with with a particular point of view...lol.

Hey, I'm willing to obey forum rules but to whom do they apply? All or those that comply to the narrative.

We shall see....quick delete me before anyone can see.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Yes, lets test forum rules as they are.

I have seen far more abuses than mine.

Blackleaf the paedophile and misogamist or gerryh the belligerent....both seemingly acceptable.

I could go on about abuses...oh heck...lets do...

Written on a mods wall...

Hi Ron, I will be gone for a while. Petros is becoming psychotic. He is threatening to do me bodily harm. I just thought it was the ravings of a lunatic, but he went to my facebook page and took a picture of me to use as his avatar. He stalks my posts and spews slanderous stuff about me constantly. That kind of obsession is too scary for me. He thinks he knows something about my life but he doesn't. He has built up a story in his mind that has nothing to do with reality. I am afraid his psychosis will escalate if I stay. Not sure if there is anything you can do about it, so I will lie low for a while and see if he will cool off. If I knew his full name, I would be seeking a restraining order.

...any action taken on this?

No no, given this is a web site with with a particular point of view...lol.

Hey, I'm willing to obey forum rules but to whom do they apply? All or those that comply to the narrative.

We shall see.