No external probe after reporter suicide: Toronto Star memo

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
TORONTO — Canada's largest newspaper decided against an outside investigation into the circumstances around the suicide of a prominent reporter because it would have been too bureaucratic, according to an internal memo.

Instead, the Toronto Star did its own investigation, which resulted in two senior editors leaving the newsroom and an enhanced code of conduct, the memo to staff said.

"An external legal investigator was not necessary or appropriate in the circumstances," Brian Daly, vice-president of human resources, said in the memo.

"Such third-party investigations, by their very nature, follow formalized, legalistic protocols, with minimal if any transparency of findings or conclusions."

In a column last week, Star public editor Kathy English talked of the turmoil in the newsroom after Raveena Aulakh, 42, killed herself last month. The column stated that Aulakh had been in a relationship with a senior editor, Jon Filson.

In emails Aulakh had sent, English said, a "clearly heartbroken'' Aulakh made allegations about a relationship between Filson and managing editor Jane Davenport. Filson had already left the company, while Davenport was reassigned within the company.

The Star said it would not discuss details of their departures given that it was an internal personnel matter.

mo

No external probe after reporter suicide: Toronto Star memo | Metro News

Dean Skoreyko ‏@bcbluecon

Dean Skoreyko Retweeted The Canadian Press
Star conducts own investigation of itself, finds themselves guiltless

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It does ... especially when you're already questioning your own worthiness. Y'know ... June 13 I had a visit with the cardiologist. Had a stent placed 12 years ago and it's time again. I actually paused and wondered if it's worth it owing to all the shyte and down-nosed looks that have chipped away at my self confidence over the last 23 years.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It does ... especially when you're already questioning your own worthiness. Y'know ... June 13 I had a visit with the cardiologist. Had a stent placed 12 years ago and it's time again. I actually paused and wondered if it's worth it owing to all the shyte and down-nosed looks that have chipped away at my self confidence over the last 23 years.

Of course it is!

And not to downplay the affect others can have, but self-worth is not determined by outsiders. At some point it comes down to a choice, a decision, to believe in yourself, in your value. Don't give that over to other people. I know that's not always easy, but if your going to get pissed f and fight for something, then this is the thing you fight for.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

not really sure what a stent has to do with thoughts of self-worth; or even 'looks' from others but it sounds like it's better being alive.

at any rate, ya never know when you're supposed to help someone you may not have even met yet so it's best to stick around.