Hunter Tootoo resigns suddenly!

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Usually politicians resign pre-emptively like this for "family" or "personal" reasons and don't elaborate. The fact that the Liberals have cited addiction is getting a little more specific than usual and it's not the sort of thing people are willing to publicly admit.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Usually politicians resign pre-emptively like this for "family" or "personal" reasons and don't elaborate. The fact that the Liberals have cited addiction is getting a little more specific than usual and it's not the sort of thing people are willing to publicly admit.

That could mean more juicy stuff may be on the way and this is a pre-emptive strike to soften or stifle that. They do usually only release the minimum.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
That could mean more juicy stuff may be on the way and this is a pre-emptive strike to soften or stifle that. They do usually only release the minimum.

Yeah, worst case scenario: they're preempting/covering up a scandal. Best case scenario: the details of Hunter Tootoo's addiction problems are personal and none of our business.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Yeah, worst case scenario: they're preempting/covering up a scandal. Best case scenario: the details of Hunter Tootoo's addiction problems are personal and none of our business.

I agree they are not. But knowing the way politics work, if that was the case he/they would have as you pointed out said personal reasons or no reason at all.

ETA: Having said that, any actions he did while minister on government time are public business regardless how personal.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I agree they are not. But knowing the way politics work, if that was the case he/they would have as you pointed out said personal reasons or no reason at all.

Do you mean he wouldn't have specified addiction if it was personal or he wouldn't have if it was a cover up? Because the way I see it, he got personal enough to make himself look bad, which suggests honesty to me. But this is all just speculation.

ETA: Having said that, any actions he did while minister on government time are public business regardless how personal.

Which is great that he resigned. Everyone has failings and the lucky ones among us recognize their own failings and take action. Without any other information, that's the only way we can view it. Not to say one shouldn't have a healthy dose of skepticism when it comes to the government.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
This already happened with another MP earlier this year.

Resigning and getting the help you need sounds like the appropriate response.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007

Yeah, cuz he didn't know he was addicted before the election.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Do you mean he wouldn't have specified addiction if it was personal or he wouldn't have if it was a cover up? Because the way I see it, he got personal enough to make himself look bad, which suggests honesty to me. But this is all just speculation.

I never suspect honesty when it comes to politicians. I suppose it is always possible in a rare occurrence.

Which is great that he resigned. Everyone has failings and the lucky ones among us recognize their own failings and take action. Without any other information, that's the only way we can view it. Not to say one shouldn't have a healthy dose of skepticism when it comes to the government.

That is a positive factor. But what he did prior to the resignation on government time is still fair game for scrutiny.

I don't think anybody is saying anything different.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I'd go out a drink myself into a stupor every night too if i had to deal with an effeminate, imbecile boss like Justin flouncing around the office every day.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I think the concern lies more with the difference his Nibs treated the departure of the two members for similar reasons. He was quite blunt regarding Hunter as opposed to wishing the other guy all the best.

I'd go out a drink myself into a stupor every night too if i had to deal with an effeminate, imbecile boss like Justin flouncing around the office every day.

Ooooooh ooooh - sounds like some of the dwama emanating from the learned Cap't. is rubbing off on you.

To a degree, I don't think we have to be apprised every time he stops for a leak or has a bout of diahhreah!