Want to Know What Facebook Really Thinks of Journalists?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
have a boo at a source of 'news' for the meatheads and attention-deficit algorithmic spastics out there. this is another contributing factor as to why a good chunk of the voting populace is so damn retarded.

Here's What Happened When It Hired Some.

Depending on whom you ask, Facebook is either the savior or destroyer of journalism in our time. An estimated 600 million people see a news story on Facebook every week, and the social network’s founder Mark Zuckerberg has been transparent about his goal to monopolize digital news distribution. “When news is as fast as everything else on Facebook, people will naturally read a lot more news,” he said in a Q&A last year, adding that he wants Facebook Instant Articles to be the “primary news experience people have.”

Facebook’s stranglehold over the traffic pipe has pushed digital publishers into an uneasy alliance with the $350 billion behemoth, and the news business has been caught up in a jittery debate about what, precisely, the company’s intentions are. Will it swallow the business whole, or does it really just want publishers to put neat things in users’ news feeds? For its part, Facebook—which has recently begun paying publishers including Buzzfeed and the New York Times to post a quota of Facebook Live videos every week—bills its relationship with the media as a mutually beneficial landlord-tenant partnership.

But if you really want to know what Facebook thinks of journalists and their craft, all you need to do is look at what happened when the company quietly assembled some to work on its secretive “trending news” project. The results aren’t pretty: According to five former members of Facebook’s trending news team—“news curators” as they’re known internally—Zuckerberg & Co. take a downright dim view of the industry and its talent. In interviews with Gizmodo, these former curators described grueling work conditions, humiliating treatment, and a secretive, imperious culture in which they were treated as disposable outsiders. After doing a tour in Facebook’s news trenches, almost all of them came to believe that they were there not to work, but to serve as training modules for Facebook’s algorithm.

more

Want to Know What Facebook Really Thinks of Journalists? Here's What Happened When It Hired Some.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Ive been facebook free for 1 year and 2 months now.....

Facebook is so ingrained into peoples lives its sickening..... You can say Mike Zuckerburg sacrifices baby kittens to satan and no one will bat an eye lash....

And get this... You get people being all pretentious on it, showing off ONLY their good side to the world, putting up a facade for everyone to see... Right, you already knew that? And then those same people say im the suspicious one for not having facebook.... WTF????!!!?? o_O? Go figure :p

Last edited:

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Depends on how you use it. It's got a decent messenger service, not so formal as email or as restrictive as twitter, a convenient place to drop off and pick up messages. You can control what sort of company you keep, just like here, you're not obliged to listen to people you wouldn't have the time of day for in real life. Hallmark copy-and-post types don't last long on my list, nor do "here's what I had for breakfast" types and those devoid of original thought. It is, as has been noted, a haven for gossips, but those can be easily blocked as well. Using the Internet is like going to any gathering of people, there's bound to be some boneheads in there but that doesn't mean you have to sit and have lunch with them, or even say "hi" when you pass them downtown.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Depends on how you use it. It's got a decent messenger service, not so formal as email or as restrictive as twitter, a convenient place to drop off and pick up messages. You can control what sort of company you keep, just like here, you're not obliged to listen to people you wouldn't have the time of day for in real life. Hallmark copy-and-post types don't last long on my list, nor do "here's what I had for breakfast" types and those devoid of original thought. It is, as has been noted, a haven for gossips, but those can be easily blocked as well. Using the Internet is like going to any gathering of people, there's bound to be some boneheads in there but that doesn't mean you have to sit and have lunch with them, or even say "hi" when you pass them downtown.

Be that as it may, Nick after watching Facebookistan, my intention to never ever join it was reinforced.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
anyway...seems to be easy 'news' for millennials, progs and mouthbreathers. no wonder they're a little on the ignorant side.

Facebook’s Bias Is Built-In, and Bears Watching

Facebook is the world’s most influential source of news.

That’s true according to every available measure of size — the billion-plus people who devour its News Feed every day, the cargo ships of profit it keeps raking in, and the tsunami of online traffic it sends to other news sites.

But Facebook has also acquired a more subtle power to shape the wider news business. Across the industry, reporters, editors and media executives now look to Facebook the same way nesting baby chicks look to their engorged mother — as the source of all knowledge and nourishment, the model for how to behave in this scary new-media world. Case in point: The New York Times, among others, recently began an initiative to broadcast live video. Why do you suppose that might be? Yup, the F word. The deal includes payments from Facebook to news outlets, including The Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/12/technology/facebooks-bias-is-built-in-and-bears-watching.html

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Be that as it may, Nick after watching Facebookistan, my intention to never ever join it was reinforced.

I have never been on Facebook and will never join. I have my circle of people and beyond that I have no desire to meet someone I barely recall from grade 4........

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
not only are you stupid, but ignorant and apathetic.

I don't know about apathetic but you are about as f**king ignorant and stupid as they come! Can you tie your shoe laces w/o help? :)

I have never been on Facebook and will never join. I have my circle of people and beyond that I have no desire to meet someone I barely recall from grade 4........

Wise decision!

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Wise decision!

Based on your posts here you wouldn't know wise if it bludgeoned you over the head.

now back to the topic at hand:

Adam ‏@g1mm3abr34k Holy sh!t, @BreitbartNews is S A V A G E. #Cuckerberg needs to #TalkToMilo before this gets serious. -->@Nero

Breitbart News, #15 Facebook Publisher, to Zuckerberg: Forget the Meeting — We Want Transparency and the Truth - Breitbart

Anthony Rotola ‏@1983Merman_

I would pay good money to see daddy @nero eviscerate that fascistic little cuck like this article did. #TalkToMilo

Milo Yiannopoulos ✘ ‏@Nero

#FacebookIn4Words Zuck! Debate Milo Yiannopoulos

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
If you bothered to check my ratings by my contemporaries you'd see I'm batting above 90% there Einstein! :) :)

that doesn't make you smart, in-touch, current or even handy to have around. it just means you can manage a calculator.

but since you find those types of numbers important enough to brag about, check mine.

have a nice day.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
One of my sons is a facebook fan, he has a univercity degree, which makes it even worse, he's hopelessly enslaved by the elected authorities of any subject you'd care to mention. I have thought about disowning him.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
yeah...the thing is that most global mouthbreathers get what they think is 'news' from lord zuck, consider themselves 'informed' and all.

sad reflection on yutes I know but they can't even recognize or admit what is being done to them.