Hillsborough disaster victims were killed unlawfully, jury concludes

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Ninety-six football fans who died as a result of a crush in the 1989 Hillsborough disaster were unlawfully killed, the inquests have concluded.

The jury decided the match commander Ch Supt David Duckenfield's actions amounted to "gross negligence" due to a breach of his duty of care to fans.

Police errors also added to a dangerous situation at the FA Cup semi-final.

After a 27-year campaign by victims' families, the behaviour of Liverpool fans was exonerated.

The jury found they did not contribute to the danger unfolding at the turnstiles at the Leppings Lane end of Sheffield Wednesday's ground.

When the conclusion of the unlawful killing was revealed, families were seen hugging each other in the public gallery and some punched the air.

The Hillsborough disaster was a human crush
that caused the deaths of 96 people and injured 766 others during an FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest at Hillsborough Stadium, the home of Sheffield Wednesday, on 15 April 1989.

Hillsborough inquests: Fans unlawfully killed, jury concludes

The families of many of those killed sang "You'll never walk alone" outside court

Ninety-six football fans who died as a result of a crush in the 1989 Hillsborough disaster were unlawfully killed, the inquests have concluded.

The jury decided the match commander Ch Supt David Duckenfield's actions amounted to "gross negligence" due to a breach of his duty of care to fans.

Police errors also added to a dangerous situation at the FA Cup semi-final.

After a 27-year campaign by victims' families, the behaviour of Liverpool fans was exonerated.

The jury found they did not contribute to the danger unfolding at the turnstiles at the Leppings Lane end of Sheffield Wednesday's ground on 15 April 1989.

When the conclusion of the unlawful killing was revealed, families were seen hugging each other in the public gallery and some punched the air.

Prominent campaigner Margaret Aspinall reacted outside court

Relatives of the victims embraced following the unlawful killing conclusion

When considering how each of the 96 victims died the jury concluded many died well after 15:15 on the day of the match.

The coroner at the original inquest, Dr Stefan Popper, said he would not hear any evidence relating to deaths beyond that time because he believed all the victims had died, or suffered fatal injuries, by then.

The jury also concluded

• Police errors caused a dangerous situation at the turnstiles
  • Failures by commanding officers caused a crush on the terraces
  • There were mistakes in the police control box over the order to open the Leppings Lane end exit gates
  • Defects at the stadium contributed to the disaster
  • There was an error in the safety certification of the Hillsborough stadium
  • South Yorkshire Police and South Yorkshire Ambulance Service delayed declaring a major incident
  • The emergency response was therefore delayed
  • Sheffield Wednesday failed to approve the plans for dedicated turnstiles for each pen
  • There was inadequate signage at the club and misleading information on match tickets
  • Club officials should have requested a delay in kick off as they were aware of a huge number of fans outside shortly before the game was due to start

People in the public gallery applauded the jury as they left court, with some standing up to clap them out.

Leading campaigners Margaret Aspinall and Trevor Hicks were seen hugging each other in tears.

A statement on behalf of the families said the jury's conclusions "completely vindicate" the long fight for justice.

It added it has brought "significant progress on the journey... and sense of closure to the bereaved".

Many family members and supporters reacted with jubilation

There were emotional scenes outside the courtroom following the conclusions

A relative holds up a photo of Keith McGrath, who died in the Hillsborough disaster, outside the Hillsborough Inquest in Warrington

96 people were killed during the disaster on 15 April 1989

The police response to the increasing crowd outside the Leppings Lane turnstiles at Liverpool's match against Nottingham Forest was "slow and uncoordinated", the inquests heard.

The road closure "exacerbated" the situation and there were no filter cordons in place to regulate the movement of spectators.

Attempts to close the perimeter gates were made too late and there were no contingency plans for the "sudden arrival" of a large number of fans, the jury said.

Jurors concluded the commanding officers should have ordered the closing of the tunnel which led directly to the central pens where the fatal crush occurred.

At the scene: Judith Moritz, BBC News

The families clapped as the jury left the Hillsborough inquests in Warrington. One woman shouted "God bless the jury."

There were lots of tears as lawyers hugged the families and the shadow home secretary Andy Burnham hugged the families in court.

There were lawyers crying, Andy Burnham was crying and the families were hugging. People said they couldn't take in the enormity of it all.

Trevor Hicks, whose daughters Sarah and Vicky died, told me: "We've done it."

A spontaneous chorus of "You'll Never Walk Alone" was sung outside the courtroom as people raised Liverpool flags above their heads.

Analysis

Clive Coleman, BBC legal correspondent

"A lot of evidence has come to light here and in the police investigation. The inquest has done its job and now the criminal justice system takes over.

"They [Independent Police Complaints Commission] are looking at both organisations and individuals. The unlawful killing conclusion that we have had today the route to it was considering the actions of match commander David Duckenfield.

"The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) can consider a prosecution against David Duckenfield."

The CPS said: "In due course the CPS will formally consider whether any criminal charges should be brought against any individual or corporate body based upon all the available evidence."

A criminal investigation into the disaster, Operation Resolve, is being led by Assistant Commissioner Jon Stoddart.

Hillsborough inquests: Fans unlawfully killed, jury concludes - BBC News

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Drunks are never at fault.

That's a stupid thing to say, idiot.

Children died because of the stupidity of the fcukked up cops. Those bastards should be hung for their crimes against those innocents.

I was just on a soccer website where a few Brits and Yanks were discussing this tragedy that resulted from police stupidity. To this day all of us are grieving over this crime.

YNWA

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
Whenever the subject of this horrifying incident ccmes up, I just about dissolve into tears. I can see those fans pushed right up against the chain link fence, knowing that they didn't make it. I cannot imagine how those close to the situation cope, even after 24 years. I am so glad that the fans have been vindicated but I thought that judgement came out a few months ago.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
News flash: All people that die in a man-made disaster were murdered as man could have done something to prevent it.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Events from 27 years ago. Boy are we starting to stretch this now. Watch the game on TV next time.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
That's a stupid thing to say, idiot.

Children died because of the stupidity of the fcukked up cops. Those bastards should be hung for their crimes against those innocents.

I was just on a soccer website where a few Brits and Yanks were discussing this tragedy that resulted from police stupidity. To this day all of us are grieving over this crime.

YNWA

Well said.

The cops tried to blame the tragedy on the Liverpool fans because football is a working class sport supported by the working class masses, and much of the British Establishment detests the working class. There was a class issue involved.

The Sun newspaper has been almost completely boycotted in Liverpool - even some newsagents don't sell it - because, four days after the disaster, it ran the headline “The Truth” which accused Liverpool fans of being drunk, pickpocketing victims, urinating on “brave” police and assaulting police officers.

The paper's editor at the time was Kelvin MacKenzie (who appears on Sky News sometimes to do the late night previews of the next day's newspapers), who later admitted it was his "decision alone" to run with the front page of which he said the story came from a Sheffield news agency and cited sources including a senior police officer as well as a Conservative MP. It has been claimed fellow journalists warned him against the front page. But now, after a jury decided yesterday that the Hillsborough victims were killed unlawfully, MacKenzie, who still writes for the paper, has apologised:

"Today’s verdicts are an important step in obtaining justice for the victims. My heart goes out to those who have waited so long for vindication."

"As I have said before, the headline I published was wrong and I am profoundly sorry for the hurt caused. Clearly, I was wrong to take the police’s version of events at face value and it is a mistake I deeply regret."

"It’s been an absolute disgrace what the police have done in South Yorkshire this last 27 years. I feel desperate for the families and the people and I also feel that in some strange way I got caught up in it […] everybody got sent this agency story. I printed it in that way but honestly the way it affected those families was a disgrace. I’m delighted for those families."

"It would have been far more accurate had I written the headline ‘The Lies’ rather than ‘The Truth’.”

An editorial in the paper called the 1989 report “the blackest day in this newspaper’s history".

Hillsborough disaster: Kelvin MacKenzie apologises for ‘hurt’ caused by The Sun’s 1989 front page | People | News | The Independent

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
They seven years to get around to an inquiry? With so many deaths in a public facility and the deep involvement of the police, this should have happened automatically as a Coroner's inquest.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
They seven years to get around to an inquiry? With so many deaths in a public facility and the deep involvement of the police, this should have happened automatically as a Coroner's inquest.

The Taylor Inquiry was set up later that year: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Report

It found that the main reason for the disaster was the failure of police control. It also recommended that major stadia in the top divisions in England and Scotland ban standing-only terraces - which I think had been present in stadia ever since the game as we know it today came along in the 19th Century - and have all-seater stadia (the tiny lower division stadia were still allowed to have terraces).

This meant that, throughout the 1990s, many world famous standing terraces were replaced by all-seater stands, with two of the earliest examples being Manchester United's Stretford End and Arsenal's North Bank, which were both demolished in 1992.

The 1990s also saw the closure of some of the oldest football stadia in England, including Middlesbrough's Ayresome Park and Sunderland's Roker Park, in favour of new sites (Riverside Stadium for Middlesbrough and Stadium of Light for Sunderland) which were more suitable for all-seater capacities that would have been practically impossible on the site of the existing grounds.

There have, however, recently been calls for some safe standing terraces to be brought back to major football grounds as some people are complaining that, in these days of all-seater stadia, the atmosphere in some stadia is not as good as it used to be when fans were allowed to stand in terraces.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
South Yorkshire Police chief suspended over Hillsborough

BBC News
27 April 2016

South Yorkshire Police Chief Constable David Crompton made a statement after the inquests jury returned its conclusions

South Yorkshire Police's chief constable David Crompton has been suspended in the wake of the findings of the Hillsborough inquests.

He admitted the policing of the match was "catastrophically wrong" and "unequivocally" accepted the findings.

Jurors concluded the 96 victims of the 1989 disaster were unlawfully killed and there were police failings.

Shadow Home Secretary Andy Burnham said "those responsible must be held to account" over the "27-year cover up".

The announcement came after Mr Burnham, who was born in Aintree near Liverpool and who has backed the campaign for justice for the Hillsborough victims, called for the chief constable's resignation in the House of Commons.

He said the force had gone back on its 2012 public apology following the release of the Hillsborough Independent Panel report.

South Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner Dr Alan Billings: "I've reached this decision with a heavy heart"

The force's Police and Crime Commissioner Dr Alan Billings said he had no choice but to act "based on the erosion of public trust and confidence".

He said: "I have been left with no choice other than to suspend David from his duties as chief constable of South Yorkshire police.

"I have reached this decision with a heavy heart following discussions with David."

Mr Crompton was due to retire in November after four years in the role.

Tributes are being left at Hillsborough stadium following the conclusion of the inquests

South Yorkshire Police chief suspended over Hillsborough - BBC News

Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Are Stadiums built with riots factored in? This is the UK after all.

Do they have full height barriers so that opposing fans can't throw darts at each other?

British football fans are so vile, they've been banned from several countries.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
British football fans are so vile, they've been banned from several countries.

Bull****. You've obviously not seen the "ultras" in places like Italy and Eastern Europe. English football is a rare example of a footballing culture in Europe which hasn't been influenced by the ultras movement.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Bull****. You've obviously not seen the "ultras" in places like Italy and Eastern Europe. English football is a rare example of a footballing culture in Europe which hasn't been influenced by the ultras movement.

Oh, I see. There are just plain hooligans and there are "ultra" hooligans. I find it interesting that Rugby, a much more "violent" game, does not attract thugs like prissy football does.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Oh, I see. There are just plain hooligans and there are "ultra" hooligans. I find it interesting that Rugby, a much more "violent" game, does not attract thugs like prissy football does.

Rugby Union (popular in the South of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland) is a middle class sport played by public schoolboys.

The much more brutal Rugby League (popular in the North West of England - my neck of the woods - and in the four Yorkshires) is where the rugby hooligans are: proper supporters.

By the way, Canadian Rugby League club Toronto Wolfpack are to enter the English league next season. They are to join in League One, the third tier of English Rugby League.

Toronto Wolfpack to enter League One next season, RFL announces | Sport | The Guardian