Canada Rev Agency targeting nearly 4,000 former employees of Native Leasing Services

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
oh well.

An Ottawa man must pay more than $190,000 in back taxes despite an arrangement through an outsourcing company that he and thousands of other indigenous employees believed made them exempt from paying personal income tax on income earned off-reserve.

Miche Jette received a notice from the Canada Revenue Agency last week informing him he owes $191,471.97 in income tax for work in Ottawa that began more than a decade ago.

"It's urgent. It eats at me. I can't sleep. I'm miserable. I'm depressed. I cry a lot. I'm angry. I'm sad. And I want it dealt with," he said.

Jette was hired through the outsourcing company Native Leasing Services to work at the now-defunct advocacy group Aboriginal Healing Foundation in 1999.

As part of the O.I. Group of Companies, the outsourcing company's head office is based in Six Nations of the Grand River, a First Nation near Brantford, Ont.

mo

CRA orders First Nations man to pay $190,000 in back taxes - Ottawa - CBC News

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
He's hired in 1999. The CRA starts going after him in the early 2000's. He's had at least a decade to deal with this so why hasn't he?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Because he is special. When he was paying 0 tax on his income, could have not have suspected something was fishy?

According to the article, until the CRA started coming after him, he was under the impression that as he worked for a Native agency, he did not have to pay taxes even though he was off reserve.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
According to the article, until the CRA started coming after him, he was under the impression that as he worked for a Native agency, he did not have to pay taxes even though he was off reserve.
Gee Gosh I guess someone told him a fib!?

But even back then we had the internets and he could have looked up his issue/got a legal opinion and set some monmey aside.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Something he should have verified back then. A $100 trip to a tax accountant or lawyer then would have saved him $191K now.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Miche Jette received a notice from the Canada Revenue Agency last week informing him he owes $191,471.97 in income tax for work in Ottawa that began more than a decade ago.

"....It eats at me. I can't sleep. I'm miserable. I'm depressed. I cry a lot. I'm angry. I'm sad. And I want it dealt with," he said.
IOW he wants someone to wave a magic wand.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
IOW he wants someone to wave a magic wand.

Yep. Not an ounce of responsibility there, Bill.

Something he should have verified back then. A $100 trip to a tax accountant or lawyer then would have saved him $191K now.

Too true.

Gee Gosh I guess someone told him a fib!?

But even back then we had the internets and he could have looked up his issue/got a legal opinion and set some monmey aside.

And now it is all the fault of someone else. Right.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Someone has to pay for all that fancy stuff tabled in the budget for natives.