Health Canada worker fired after $20K spending spree on government credit cards

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A Health Canada worker fraudulently charged almost $20,000 worth of personal items to government credit cards, including visits to a spa, meals at restaurants, clothing and cash advances.

An internal report on the fraud also says the worker twice collected charitable donations from trusting co-workers, but kept all the money.
Auditors concluded the worker should not have been given the credit cards in the first place, partly because there was evidence of personal financial stress.

Even after being explicitly warned against personal use, the employee continued to rack up charges in 60 separate transactions, suggesting lax management controls and follow-up.

In the end, Health Canada had to pay the outstanding balances of $11,210 on the cards and dock the worker's pay in instalments, though there was no payback of the stolen donations whose value was not determined. The person was later fired.

A report on the case, obtained by CBC News under the Access to Information Act, provides a rare glimpse into the details of credit-card fraud by public servants, which happened at least 76 times across government in 2014-2015.

mo

Fraud: government credit card used for spas, restaurants - Politics - CBC News

Victoria50

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2016
Quebec
That's messed up. Every time I use the company card I have to get authority beforehand.
Was this in one month?

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
He certainly did have issues with personal stress.
I hope that he felt good while in the spa and eating out (doubt that the restaurants were McDonalds) on the taxpayers dime.
Just who is running the show if the guy's penalty was just to be fired, with that not happening immediately.
As I said before, just who is running the show.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Sure wally people should just die in the streets.
I was hospitalized quite often for serious injuries and ailments before ON had gubmint run insurance and I don't recall people dieing in the streets because they could not afford the insurance; just another lefty strawman.