Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall rejects Ottawa’s carbon pricing plan

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Antifluff.

Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall says he wants nothing to do with Ottawa’s plan for a national minimum price on greenhouse gas emissions as he raises the political heat ahead of the First Ministers climate summit scheduled for Vancouver in two weeks.

In an interview Thursday, Mr. Wall – who faces a re-election campaign this spring – flatly rejected the federal government’s plan to reach agreement with provinces and territories on a Canada-wide floor price for carbon, which would be at least $15 a tonne.

“Let’s be clear that it would be a tax, and that’s the very last thing the economy needs right now,” Mr. Wall said. “I’ve already made it clear … that if we’re re-elected, our government will not be pursuing any tax increases or new taxes, and neither would we support any new national taxes.”

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will meet with the premiers in Vancouver on March 3 for talks on a national climate strategy, but they are not expecting to reach a deal at that time. Instead, Ottawa and the provinces are looking to set up working groups to chart the path forward in key areas, including a pan-Canadian minimum carbon price that would apply broadly across the economy, but would also allow provinces to use their own mechanisms and collect the revenue. They are aiming to have a deal in six months.

Federal sources say the proposal for a carbon floor price is purposely vague – with no specific price or approach identified – so as not to presume an outcome to the negotiations. But finding common ground will prove enormously challenging, given the various approaches already being pursued by provincial governments.

Mr. Wall was outspoken in his skepticism about carbon pricing when premiers met with Mr. Trudeau prior to the Paris climate summit in December. And with an election looming, he is doubling down on his opposition.

“We think technological investment should be a higher priority than fiscal instruments or new taxes that would hurt economic growth and potentially cost jobs here in Saskatchewan and across the country,” he said. His province has invested more than $1-billion in a carbon-capture project at the Boundary Dam coal-fired power station near Estevan, which Mr. Wall says will provide a technology solution to an energy-hungry world.

Forgoing a broad-based carbon tax would leave Saskatchewan with a competitive advantage, as neighbouring Alberta moves to impose a $30-a-tonne levy, he added. “I don’t want a level playing field for our province. I want this to be the most competitive place that it possibly can be … and that does not include a new carbon tax, especially now, given the state of the economy.”

Ontario Environment Minister Glen Murray cheered the federal government’s plan to set a minimum national carbon price, saying it would create fairness between jurisdictions that are putting a price on carbon and those that aren’t.

“What do you do with something that comes out of Saskatchewan, that has no carbon price on it, versus something that comes out of Alberta? To remove interprovincial trade barriers and to have fair treatment within the Canadian federation … that [floor price] makes sense,” Mr. Murray said in an interview at Queen’s Park Thursday.

Ontario is set to introduce a cap-and-trade system – working in concert with Quebec and California – that will impose carbon cost on fuel distributors and many industries; Alberta announced its carbon tax will complement an emissions cap on the oil sands.

Mr. Murray said he talks to federal Environment Minister Catherine McKenna every week and that Ottawa has been “very open with the process.”

The Atlantic provinces – which accounted for 6 per cent of Canada’s greenhouse gas emissions in 2013 – would also face the choice of either living with a federal carbon tax or adopting one of their own. Environment ministers from the four provinces agreed to work together on climate policy, including the potential for a regional carbon-pricing plan.

The recently elected Liberal government in Newfoundland and Labrador is “considering options” for carbon levies, Environment Minister Perry Trimper said in an interview. “We’re willing to step up to the plate in a way we have not been” under the previous Progressive Conservative government, he said.

B.C. Environment Minister Mary Polak said Ottawa has not yet laid out a proposal but predicted it will not be easy to win over agreement with all the provinces. She said there was discussion at the recent meeting between the federal, provincial and territorial ministers on climate about how to approach carbon pricing, but each province is at a different stage on the issue.

“We all have to acknowledge,” Ms. Polak said, “a pan-Canadian approach is a tall order. We’ve got really big differences between provinces – it’s a huge challenge.”

She sidestepped what might happen if just one province opts out. “We haven’t seen what proposal they might bring,” she said, adding: “We know that every province is going to be contributing to Canada’s agreement in Paris in different ways.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I, too would vote for Brad Wall if he ever decided to run. He's a down to earth, common sense individual. Who could not agree with the following statement he made?

“We think technological investment should be a higher priority than fiscal instruments or new taxes..." Someone to actually "gets it!" Amazing.

But most current governments only action plans are tax, tax, tax, tax, regulate, regulate and tax some more That will solve all our problems!

Unbelievable.

JMHO

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I, too would vote for Brad Wall if he ever decided to run. He's a down to earth, common sense individual. Who could not agree with the following statement he made?

“We think technological investment should be a higher priority than fiscal instruments or new taxes..." Someone to actually "gets it!" Amazing.

But most current governments only action plans are tax, tax, tax, tax, regulate, regulate and tax some more That will solve all our problems!

Unbelievable.

JMHO

Won't solve any of "our" problems but it will create a new revenue stream that will solve many of their problems.Lefty governments have never seen a tax they didn't like.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Won't solve any of "our" problems but it will create a new revenue stream that will solve many of their problems.Lefty governments have never seen a tax they didn't like.

Actually, I had thought about mentioning that fact too but I forgot (my computer froze and I had to reboot so lost a lot of what I wanted to say 'cuz I was p'd!!) LOL

There'll be those whose pockets will be lined and ours will be picked fer sure!!

Hell, my hubby and I were contemplating retiring in the next 4 or 5 years and even with no mortgage, based on what we've managed to save, RRSPs and pensions, we likely will have to sell our house because we won't be able to afford to stay in it. Property taxes alone with rising energy and other costs (also due to taxes and dumb decisions aka the Wynn (and her predecessor), don't make it affordable to stay in it and still have a reasonable standard of living.

We're thinking of moving to somewhere cheaper - maybe Ecuador - where the living is cheap, good health care and wonderful weather year around. OR, maybe to the BC interior and becoming "trailer trash" instead. Haven't decided one way or the other....

JMO

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Actually, I had thought about mentioning that fact too but I forgot (my computer froze and I had to reboot so lost a lot of what I wanted to say 'cuz I was p'd!!) LOL

There'll be those whose pockets will be lined and ours will be picked fer sure!!

Hell, my hubby and I were contemplating retiring in the next 4 or 5 years and even with no mortgage, based on what we've managed to save, RRSPs and pensions, we likely will have to sell our house because we won't be able to afford to stay in it. Property taxes alone with rising energy and other costs (also due to taxes and dumb decisions aka the Wynn (and her predecessor), don't make it affordable to stay in it and still have a reasonable standard of living.

We're thinking of moving to somewhere cheaper - maybe Ecuador - where the living is cheap, good health care and wonderful weather year around. OR, maybe to the BC interior and becoming "trailer trash" instead. Haven't decided one way or the other....

JMO
Lots of great places in B.C. interior that aren't trailer trash .
Castlegar is a great area teaming with outdoor sports both winter and summer .
For one .

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

JMO

I was all ready to say welcome to the Heartland of BC until you wrote that 'trailer trash' bit, Dixie. Some of us actually do live in houses you know............hardly a trailer in sight here in Eagle Creek but you could always bring your own.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I was all ready to say welcome to the Heartland of BC until you wrote that 'trailer trash' bit, Dixie. Some of us actually do live in houses you know............hardly a trailer in sight here in Eagle Creek but you could always bring your own.
Actually some of the newer double wide trailers are pretty nice. sunken bath tubs with the Jacuzzi, nice big kitchens with lots of cabinet and counter space. Some even have nice fireplaces. Top of the line manufactured homes aren't all that bad the stereotype of trailer trash isn't always accurate like anything else I guess,,blown out of proportion.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm planning on retiring into a trailer of my own design and construction, with a minimal carbon footprint.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
No conservative voice in Canada that holds any weight.

If there were any tears, they are tears of joy my friend. :)