Prince Charles, the multi-million pound artist

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
New figures released by the Royal Household show the Prince of Wales has sold £2 million worth of lithographs through his shop at Highgrove, making the heir to the throne one of Britain's most successful living artists...

Prince Charles, the multi-million pound artist

New figures released by the Royal Household show the Prince of Wales has sold £2 million worth of lithographs through his shop at Highgrove, making the heir to the throne one of Britain's most successful living artists

The Prince sees his watercolours as part of his legacy

By Robert Mendick, Chief reporter
30 Jan 2016
The Telegraph

The Prince of Wales has become one of Britain’s most successful living artists, selling millions of pounds worth of prints of his paintings.

An analysis of sales of limited edition lithographs conducted by Clarence House and released to The Telegraph shows that the Prince has earned £2 million since 1997 from sales of copies of his watercolour paintings through the shop at his family residence, Highgrove House. All the money raised goes to The Prince of Wales’s Charitable Foundation, which awards grants to a wide range of good causes.

The Prince of Wales photographed in 1998 painting a watercolour near a Buddhist temple during a visit to the Tiger's Nest Monastery in the Bhutan Himalayas

But the total sales are even larger. An art dealer who previously handled sales of the Prince’s lithographs estimates they raised at least £4 million, bringing the total to more than £6 million.

The lithographs on display in the Highgrove shop carry a price tag of £2,500, but the Belgravia Gallery, which previously handled the sales, is currently offering limited edition prints for as much as £15,000.

The income places the Prince among an elite band of living artists. The most recent survey showed fine artists earn on average £10,000 a year. By contrast, the Prince has, when his earnings are averaged out, made in the region of £200,000 annually from art sales over the past 25 years.

£2,500 - View of Lochnagar, or Beinn Chìochan, in the Grampians near Balmoral

According to Clarence House, the Prince paints “in the open air, often finishing a picture in one go”.

His favourite locations include the Queen’s estate at Balmoral and Sandringham House. “Sometimes the Prince paints during his skiing holidays, and during overseas tours when possible,” said a spokesman.

£2,500 - View of Beinn a' Bhùird, in the Cairngorms, 20 of 100 still available

The Prince sees his watercolours as part of his legacy. “We walk away and shuffle off our mortal coil, but these things live on,” he said in a television documentary in 2013.

The Prince only paints with watercolours and never sells the originals. He began making money from his hobby when he was approached in 1989 by Anna Hunter, owner of the Belgravia Gallery in central London. “I saw his work as a water colourist in a Sunday newspaper magazine article in 1989,” said Mrs Hunter.

Anna Hunter, owner of the Belgravia Gallery

The Belgravia Gallery is based on Maddox Street in the heart of the art district in Mayfair, between Regent Street and Bond Street, in London's West End

“Until then I had no idea he was an artist. I wrote him a letter suggesting that if his works were made into signed lithographs, they could be sold to raise money for his charitable foundation.

“I didn’t hear anything for ages and then just before Christmas 1989 his private secretary called me and said he was very interested and could we meet.” Subsequently, and in conjunction with a print maker, Stanley Jones, Prince Charles released a series of limited edition lithographs with runs of either 295 or 100. They included views of Windsor Castle, Balmoral, and a scene of Hong Kong from the Royal Yacht Britannia."

In all, the Prince produced 16 lithographs during the commercial tie-in with the Belgravia Gallery. “We did a tot up about eight years ago and reckoned we had raised £4m then,” said Mrs Hunter. “It was a really lovely project. The originals are mostly at Highgrove. I think these are really charming works of art in the English watercolour tradition and they are a really good reflection of the talent that lies within the Royal family for art.”

The Prince’s latest series of three lithographs, each with a run of 100, were released in 2014. One has already sold out, raising in the region of £250,000. Not bad for an amateur who does a bit of painting on the side.

Prince Charles, the multi-million pound artist - Telegraph

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm sure his position in society has nothing to do with his success as an artist. The man can't hold a candle to the late Bob Ross.

The Prince of Wales is superior to this Mr Ross fellow as he's a royal.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Sure he is. Good looking guy too if you like rat faces. :).

He's certainly better looking that Bob Ross fella.

Not only that,,,hell I could do a paint by number landscape that looks better than those.

Painting by numbers is easy. It's for children, for heaven's sake.

The Prince, however, is an adult and does adult paintings.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
He's certainly better looking that Bob Ross fella.

Painting by numbers is easy. It's for children, for heaven's sake.

The Prince, however, is an adult and does adult paintings.
Bob Ross's Paintings look like real landscape Blackster and not only that, He'd start and finish a painting in an hour or less. One of the most amazing things I've seen was to watch him start and finish a painting in one program. And no,,Prince Charles ain't better looking than anyone. Don't know how he got that beautiful Diana other than he had the cash.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
So do Charles's.

He's better looking than Rob Boss. The fella looks rather odd.

LMFAO @ that afro. Nothing better. LOL.

There can be no comparison between Prince Charles,,clearly an amateur, and Bob Ross one of the greatest talents of modern times. Not only that, but when you watched his program and he started and completed a landscape in an hour or less,,,you felt like you'd just went through bio feedback. His talking as he painted was very relaxing. He was one of a kind I really liked the fellow. Prince Charles type of Paintings are a dime a dozen in any thrift store in town.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Hitler was a rather fine painter, too.

It's just a shame he took a different career path.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
There are several animals including that famous chimp who seem to have pirated his style and stroke.

Prince Charles is a WWWF affiliate and past Grand Pretender so I'm not surprised at his influance in the whole mamalian art scene.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
Blackster I looked at his paintings and compared to Ross he's a rank amateur. He needs to stop playing the role hell,,,he's got the money why try to act like he has any talent which he doesn't:).

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Blackster I looked at his paintings and compared to Ross he's a rank amateur. He needs to stop playing the role hell,,,he's got the money why try to act like he has any talent which he doesn't:).

Sort of reminds me of that other amateur artist ... um ... Hitler.