Antarctic adventurer dies mere kilometres from end of solo trek

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Antarctic adventurer dies mere kilometres from end of solo trek

British adventurer Henry Worsley died on Sunday, mere kilometres from completing a solo, unsupported trek across the Antarctic landmass.

Worsley was 71 days into his journey when, exhausted and suffering from dehydration, he made an emergency call for help.

In a final dispatch from Antarctica, Worsley announced his decision to end the journey on Friday.

"The 71 days alone on the Antarctic with over 900 statute miles covered and a gradual grinding down of my physical endurance finally took its toll today, and it is with sadness that I report it is journey's end -- so close to my goal," he wrote.

The adventurer was airlifted off the ice on Friday, and transported to hospital in Punta Arenas, Chile, where he underwent surgery for bacterial peritonitis, an infection of the tissue lining the abdomen.

One day after the procedure, however, his family released a statement saying that he had suffered "complete organ failure" and died.

Worsley's website announced the death on Monday, with the message "It is with great sadness that we confirm that Henry Worsley died on the 24th of January, 2016."

source: British explorer Henry Worsley dies of 'complete organ failure' on solo Antarctic trek | CTV News

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A British hero who has given his life raising money for charity. Such extreme expeditions are in the British DNA. We're the nation of Fiennes and Shackleton.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
just stay home and be safe Blacklump why push the envelope what good is it

Give it a month and there'll be another British explorer starting off on some other record-attempting trek across Antarctica, by attempting to become the first person to cross that frozen continent by camel or the first person to cross it driving a Mini. Such things are in the British pyche.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Give it a month and there'll be another British explorer starting off on some other record-attempting trek across Antarctica, by attempting to become the first person to cross that frozen continent by camel or the first person to cross it driving a Mini. Such things are in the British pyche.
Well all that means is yer a little on the stupid side. Who gives a shyt if someone rides a camel across the Antarctic.

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
give it a month and there'll be another british explorer starting off on some other record-attempting trek across antarctica, by attempting to become the first person to cross that frozen continent by camel or the first person to cross it driving a mini. Such things are in the british psychosis.

fify :p