Racial and ethnic background, gender to be considered in Senate appointments: Monsef

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Government should be applauded for working to address under-representation in Ottawa. There are systemic barriers that we have not yet dismantled that prevent the full participation of women and visible minorities in the realm of national leadership, and so it is reassuring to see The Right Honourable Justin Trudeau PC, MP, Prime Minister, taking active steps to ensure that the panel is going to consider the value of diversity in racial, ethnic, and gender perspective to the national political discourse. These steps are long overdue.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
If that's the case it should be made to represent the actual demographics. 3/4 (Today) of them would still be of European descent regardless of gender or sexual orientation, that would be fair in my opinion. Say if it wasn't proportional to the population then I would say that its reverse discrimination.

That means there should be more Indians, First Nations, and Chinese than there would be Africans and Middle Easterners for example. While at the same time European descent folks will still make up the majority, even if it is a plurality majority when 2050 comes around.

But to even qualify as a senator one should have the credentials and experience first before his ethnicity or sexual orientation is considered.

Last edited:

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Yes I heard that interview tonight. What ever happened to 'merit'?
I don't think a person born and raised in a foreign country is knowledgable enough about Canada and Canadian culture to be in a governmental position.
This 'equality' thingee the Liberals are obsessed with is madness!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There is a difference in hiring some who are minorities and appointing people to the senate
For example one can say we're appointing this many women, this number of minorities and
so on. What should be the case is We are going to appoint a number of qualified people to
fill the Senate some will be minorities, and women. QUALIFIED should be the operative word.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
The Government should be applauded for working to address under-representation in Ottawa. There are systemic barriers that we have not yet dismantled that prevent the full participation of women and visible minorities in the realm of national leadership, and so it is reassuring to see The Right Honourable Justin Trudeau PC, MP, Prime Minister, taking active steps to ensure that the panel is going to consider the value of diversity in racial, ethnic, and gender perspective to the national political discourse. These steps are long overdue.
Filling quotas is not of any value if a person's ethnicity or religion is the primary qualifier for the position.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I thought the Liberal Party of Canada were all changing the senate ?
I guess changing the ethnic make-up is the great changes they were talking of .
Please explain where the senate's ethnic mix has anything to do with national leadership in Canada ?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
If you can't find enough qualified employees to make a diverse group you aren't looking hard enough.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
How many candidates are looked at for any job? Very few. It is a stretch to claim that any person hired is the most qualified.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario

What are these 'systemic barriers' you speak of? All people have the same needs and rights regardless of gender or ethnicity. I don't want an ethnic person speaking for me. My ethnicity might not like his rules.
As a woman I do not want only another woman speaking for me. A man could speak for me just as well.
We are members of a human race and members of the same society regardless of gender or ethnicity, all supposed to be equal under the law and all subject to the same laws.
So what has gender and ethnicity got to do with it? What is needed is reasonable, intelligent, honest and fair minded representatives, be they whatever gender or ethnicity as long as they are born and raised in this country, knowledgable of our diversified society and our laws.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

You should write that in purple.

If that's the case it should be made to represent the actual demographics. 3/4 (Today) of them would still be of European descent regardless of gender or sexual orientation, that would be fair in my opinion. Say if it wasn't proportional to the population then I would say that its reverse discrimination.

That means there should be more Indians, First Nations, and Chinese than there would be Africans and Middle Easterners for example. While at the same time European descent folks will still make up the majority, even if it is a plurality majority when 2050 comes around.

But to even qualify as a senator one should have the credentials and experience first before his ethnicity or sexual orientation is considered.

Credentials and experience? What an outdated concept.