Refugee arrives in T.O., takes off niqab: 'I knew I was safe'

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Story you wont find on @CBC

She could have ended up as the Joan of Arc of Balochistan, a territory larger than Poland that sits at the mouth of the strategic Strait of Hormuz, leading to the Persian Gulf.

It’s people say they’re occupied by Pakistan.

But as fate would have it, Karima Baloch, 32, said she escaped a Pakistani military attack on the town of Tump in Balochistan, getting away in the darkness of night as mortar shells rained on her home.

Karima evaded arrest and stayed underground for nearly a year before landing in Toronto on Nov. 27, where she’s applied for refugee status.

For years, I had seen videos of her leading large processions and speaking at protests, but never her face.

To evade arrest, “Banuk Karima” — as her supporters call her — would wear a niqab, the Islamic face mask, to get lost in the crowd as police would wade in to try to arrest her.

The day Karima landed in Toronto, the first thing she did was rip the niqab off her face.

“I knew I was safe and that I did not have to hide from anyone in Canada,” she told me in an interview.

mo

Refugee arrives in T.O., takes off niqab: 'I knew I was safe' | Fatah | Toronto

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Story you wont find on @CBC

She could have ended up as the Joan of Arc of Balochistan, a territory larger than Poland that sits at the mouth of the strategic Strait of Hormuz, leading to the Persian Gulf.

It’s people say they’re occupied by Pakistan.

But as fate would have it, Karima Baloch, 32, said she escaped a Pakistani military attack on the town of Tump in Balochistan, getting away in the darkness of night as mortar shells rained on her home.

Karima evaded arrest and stayed underground for nearly a year before landing in Toronto on Nov. 27, where she’s applied for refugee status.

For years, I had seen videos of her leading large processions and speaking at protests, but never her face.

To evade arrest, “Banuk Karima” — as her supporters call her — would wear a niqab, the Islamic face mask, to get lost in the crowd as police would wade in to try to arrest her.

The day Karima landed in Toronto, the first thing she did was rip the niqab off her face.

“I knew I was safe and that I did not have to hide from anyone in Canada,” she told me in an interview.

mo

Refugee arrives in T.O., takes off niqab: 'I knew I was safe' | Fatah | Toronto

I hope she stays safe but she should be aware that there are many immigrants/refugees here who would attack her for going against their beliefs.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
It's nice to read that she feels safe. It's nice to read a story whereby a refugee is happy to be hear rather then all the negative stuff we've been bombarded with.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Most of us are not against properly screened immigrants who do not try to change the laws of this country to resemble the country they are escaping and eventually turn it into a caliphate

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Most of us are not against properly screened immigrants who do not try to change the laws of this country to resemble the country they are escaping and eventually turn it into a caliphate

Bullshyte