B.C. physicians to treat Syrian refugees.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
yes this a problem and more so it creates problems,then again i am not sure of the conditions of the contract to serve,is it on the physcians own time,charity work?
the bottom line it creates problems if the plan is not explained in the correct manner,that is if the public believes there is a correct manner,is there a correct manner?
I would be piss ed off if i could not retain a family physcian,and others go to the front line,as a matter of fact i recall the Alberta WCB thing vs the average Albertan,I was piss ed off.
what was the plan or what is the plan?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I doubt they have had the task done. Be a great ID, try faking that. Spit on your hand instead of signing with a pen, so far I haven't found any bad points.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Family doctors are over rated.

I guess it depends on who you are and who the doctor is. One is more important for an elderly or infirm person with several health conditions that are precarious, than for a young person with no health issues. A lot of us old geezers are chronically on medication that has to be monitored and adjusted from time to time, so one is needed who has his "finger on the pulse". I happen to have a good doctor. One other thing is you can't get a prescription or renewal in B.C. w/o actually seeing the doctor.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
What would you suggest, that the refugees be ignored by our doctors?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
What would you suggest, that the refugees be ignored by our doctors?
My step son has a goddam cyst just below his right eye, and it's growing. OHIP won't cover it because it's "cosmetic" even though he runs the risk of losing that eye.
Are you suggesting Canadians should have to settle for LESS health care than the refugees? The doctor today told us he'd do the surgery but it will cost us damn near $2500 to get it done. Sure am glad I spent all those f*cking years paying taxes so a bunch of refugees can get free extended health care while my son risks going blind in one eye!
What a kind, decent, giving country we are.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
My step son has a goddam cyst just below his right eye, and it's growing. OHIP won't cover it because it's "cosmetic" even though he runs the risk of losing that eye.
Are you suggesting Canadians should have to settle for LESS health care than the refugees? The doctor today told us he'd do the surgery but it will cost us damn near $2500 to get it done. Sure am glad I spent all those f*cking years paying taxes so a bunch of refugees can get free extended health care while my son risks going blind in one eye!

They don't get what you are suggesting, and if the cyst is that dangerous, don't be so fu cking cheap and anti up.

I don't recall saying that! :)

Sure looks like that is what you are suggesting with this whine. If not, then what was the purpose of this op?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Maybe you need a lawyer as bad as a doctor. I certainly don't advocate denying medical care to refugees needing it, but our own people certainly shouldn't be denied.

, and if the cyst is that dangerous, don't be so fu cking cheap and anti up.

NO- If the cyst is that dangerous the operation should be routine and fully covered by medical. If it was my son I'd be in the Health Minister's office banging on the f**king desk.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
For Christ sake we have a world wide humanitarian crisis and like it or not
we have people coming here and they are going to become citizens, Not
second class citizens, no citizens.
Of course we are going to provide medical attention, we do that for citizens.
hell in this country we support humanitarian efforts elsewhere where they
provide health services so why not here.
Besides if we had a problem and something spread to the general population
and we didn't treat it until later the same howling would go up that it wasn't
treated sooner We have to be adults and quit with the old warn out excuses
to not let this happen.
These days there seems to be the mind set that there is a problem for every
solution

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Maybe you need a lawyer as bad as a doctor. I certainly don't advocate denying medical care to refugees needing it, but our own people certainly shouldn't be denied.

NO- If the cyst is that dangerous the operation should be routine and fully covered by medical. If it was my son I'd be in the Health Minister's office banging on the f**king desk.
It's not that dangerous, yet. And that's the problem.
I had a cyst the bastards wouldn't remove for "cosmetic" reasons that burst a few years back. I still have a weepy crater where the cyst was. Luckily it wasn't anyplace serious but still, it's a bigger pain in the a$$ now than it was before it got infected.

The retarded thing is, every doctor and nurse that treated it at one point or another said, "This is pretty common among men". Not just getting cysts but having them burst. And yet OHIP STILL won't cover their removal. Mine would have cost less than $5,000 to be removed before it got bad. The thing was the size of a friggin' orange when it popped. Based on the length of care I required afterwards, I'd say it cost them well over 10 grand to treat it after the fact.

The retarded thing is, Ontario's health care system won't engage in the less expensive alternative of preventative health care but will happily pay more for full "break downs" when they happen.

As for the Health Minister, I've opened with an e-mail that will be waiting for him when he arrives in his office tomorrow. It has some real nice photos of my "fun with cysts" along with a diplomatic appeal to not let that happen to my son's face, especially because it's quite likely he could lose his eye. If there's no response by the end of the week, I'll be calling on Monday to rattle his cage. If that gets me nowhere fast I'm fully prepared to go to the media. Fortunately, the one thing we do have on our side in this case is time before it becomes a real serious problem.

They don't get what you are suggesting, and if the cyst is that dangerous, don't be so fu cking cheap and anti up.
Yeah, sure thing buddy. So should I skip paying rent that month or not bother with food for 3 people for that month? Oh wait, it'd be both and I'd still be short.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I guess it depends on who you are and who the doctor is. One is more important for an elderly or infirm person with several health conditions that are precarious, than for a young person with no health issues. A lot of us old geezers are chronically on medication that has to be monitored and adjusted from time to time, so one is needed who has his "finger on the pulse". I happen to have a good doctor. One other thing is you can't get a prescription or renewal in B.C. w/o actually seeing the doctor.

Yes you can. Just depends on what the medication is and how you are reacting to it. For some meds you can get an automatic renewal. Of course the doc does make more loot by having you come in than he does Emailing you a prescription.