Entire Florida police department busted for laundering millions for drug cartels

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The village of Bal Harbour, population 2,513, may have a tiny footprint on the northern tip of Miami Beach, but its police department had grand aspirations of going after international drug traffickers, and making a few million dollars while they were at it.

The Bal Harbour PD and the Glades County Sheriff’s Office set up a giant money laundering scheme with the purported goal of busting drug cartels and stemming the surge of drug dealing going on in the area. But it all fell apart when federal investigators and the Miami-Herald found strange things going on.

The two-year operation, which took in more than $55 million from criminal groups, resulted in zero arrests but netted $2.4 million for the police posing as money launderers. Members of the 12-person task force traveled far and wide to carry out their deals, from Los Angeles to New York to Puerto Rico.

Along the way, the small-town cops got a taste of luxury as they used the money for first-class flights, luxury hotels, Mac computers and submachine guns. Meanwhile, the Bal Harbour PD and Glades County Sheriffs were buying all sorts of fancy new equipment.

Besides these “official” uses of the money, confidential records obtained by the Miami-Herald show that officers withdrew hundreds of thousands of dollars with no record of where the money went.

mo

Entire Florida police department busted for laundering millions for international drug cartels

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
leave them alone,
everyone wants a piece of the pie,including hard working cops,
good on them.
i hope they remembered to donate to their food bank and local charities.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
leave them alone,
everyone wants a piece of the pie,including hard working cops,
good on them.
i hope they remembered to donate to their food bank and local charities.

Why does it not surprise me that something as stupid and ignorant as this would come from you.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
and every one wonders why the whole democratic thing is so totally effed up

like bernie madoff
they just weren't paying up the tree
and they scammed someone who was

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
Why does it not surprise me that something as stupid and ignorant as this would come from you.
come on gerryh,look on the sunny side of life,no need to become hasty.

I wonder how the upholders of the law are holding up now?
i am glad you thought of this,
here in canada they give the officers a false sense of upholding,then drop them at first opportunity,it is a old whiskey and water trick.
it is transferble to other situations,see it all the time.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
i am glad you thought of this,
here in canada they give the officers a false sense of upholding,then drop them at first opportunity,it is a old whiskey and water trick.
it is transferble to other situations,see it all the time.
Are you high? There's cops in Ontario who've been on PAID suspension for years. One goof even had the gall to publicly thank the taxpayers for his 6 year long (and counting) "paid vacation".
But that's because the sunny, shiny ways Liberals in Ontario kowtow to the unions. Just another piece of legislation they slid under the radar and past the taxpayers.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
Are you high? There's cops in Ontario who've been on PAID suspension for years. One goof even had the gall to publicly thank the taxpayers for his 6 year long (and counting) "paid vacation".
But that's because the sunny, shiny ways Liberals in Ontario kowtow to the unions. Just another piece of legislation they slid under the radar and past the taxpayers.
does Ontairo police have a union?association?it has been a while since i did a short information auditing on the design and application of collective agreement or voice within law enforcement.Having a union and really having a union are two different identities with the collective voice of law enforcement,if ontairio has an organized voice this is a good thing,many provinces have none or are operating under intentional,recipical bad designs.
this whole paid suspension thing peaked my interest also,i collected a bit of information in this area of interest,i don't make up the rules,i just audit them for information design purposes,i just seek facts in existing rules.
i do believe there is some type of obligations to be met in having extended leave of absense,not always a design which is always pleasant to the disabled or unable to work individual,but don't blame the little guy,law enforcement has always dodged the correct way in dealing with their proud and wounded individuals within their organization,this has made the situation worse.they have never viewed rehab in the true sense of what really matters,and have viewed these individuals as disposable and purposeful treat them as such,this has caused problems.
the disabled person,throwing "paid vacation"in the public's face,is anti-establishment not anti-me,lets get that straight,these problems will lessen under correct leadership,and as time progresses,sunnier ways are coming with the neglected application of mental and physical health within law enforcement,right now things are changing,this has been a problem for about 20 years.

oh yes i forgot,yes i am high on life,the year of 2016.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
does Ontairo police have a union?association?it has been a while since i did a short information auditing on the design and application of collective agreement or voice within law enforcement.Having a union and really having a union are two different identities with the collective voice of law enforcement,if ontairio has an organized voice this is a good thing,many provinces have none or are operating under intentional,recipical bad designs.
this whole paid suspension thing peaked my interest also,i collected a bit of information in this area of interest,i don't make up the rules,i just audit them for information design purposes,i just seek facts in existing rules.
i do believe there is some type of obligations to be met in having extended leave of absense,not always a design which is always pleasant to the disabled or unable to work individual,but don't blame the little guy,law enforcement has always dodged the correct way in dealing with their proud and wounded individuals within their organization,this has made the situation worse.they have never viewed rehab in the true sense of what really matters,and have viewed these individuals as disposable and purposeful treat them as such,this has caused problems.
the disabled person,throwing "paid vacation"in the public's face,is anti-establishment not anti-me,lets get that straight,these problems will lessen under correct leadership,and as time progresses,sunnier ways are coming with the neglected application of mental and physical health within law enforcement,right now things are changing,this has been a problem for about 20 years.
Uh dude, we're not talking about cops disabled in the line of duty or whatever, we're talking about cops being suspended for long terms with pay. The individual that "thanked" the taxpayers for his 6 year vacation wasn't disabled, he was suspended for something he did while on duty.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
suspended,what ever,something led to that,they don't treat their individuals correctly regardless of the reason for absence from work,including suspension.

management will not take mitigating practices therefore they set their own up for suspension,i know,because i found this out,i am somewhat of an expert.

suspension is a disability to society,and the ranks in general,we all lose.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
suspended,what ever,something led to that,they don't treat their individuals correctly regardless of the reason for absence from work,including suspension.
I'd say receiving his annual salary for 6 years for sitting on his a$$ while suspended is being treated pretty good. Too good.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
I'd say receiving his annual salary for 6 years for sitting on his a$$ while suspended is being treated pretty good. Too good.
I understand the good vs bad concept,in your argument,
i think you should be understanding how this came to be, "yes", 6 years is a long time,and it sounds like a plan which should be scrutinized,but the design is what you need to assess.
I would not always take things for what they may seem,particularly with the proud and wounded individuals in this process which is deserving of scrutnity,only by process, not by people.
The management style has encouraged such a bad design,strange recipical agreeements should be taken at face value for what they are,along with the toxins and havic it plays on fair process,
engaging individuals in the belief fair process is attainable,when in fact the engagement causes conflict,process's become solvent.
sometimes i question if there are not so nice games going on with the feeble and vulnerable,as with the strong and wise within law enforcement,sometimes i think it is a game which has gone the wrong way for law enforcement,
i can make strong analogies fo administration design,
don't blame the little guy.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I think there is a lot more going on in police forces that remains hidden.
Remember for a while we watched cops nailed for drunk driving and a
hos of offenses? All of a sudden nothing, do you think they changed
their ways? No they know how to keep it hidden and off the net in some
cases by shutting down critical websites. I would actually be more inclined
to trust bikers than the police. No I haven't had a run in with the cops in my
life but I don't have a lot of trust in them in a number of areas.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think there is a lot more going on in police forces that remains hidden.
Remember for a while we watched cops nailed for drunk driving and a
hos of offenses? All of a sudden nothing, do you think they changed
their ways? No they know how to keep it hidden and off the net in some
cases by shutting down critical websites. I would actually be more inclined
to trust bikers than the police. No I haven't had a run in with the cops in my
life but I don't have a lot of trust in them in a number of areas.

Well, Kelowna has certainly had it's share of bad apples over the years!

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
i had a run in with the cops two days ago. Doing 125 in a 90. he dropped it to 115 and 3 demerit points. They all cant be that bad :lol: it could have been worse. Instead of pay 200+ $$$ im only paying 118$