Florida woman mistakes daughter for intruder, shoots her dead: Cops

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Florida woman mistakes daughter for intruder, shoots her dead: Cops
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 01:05 PM EST | Updated: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 10:52 PM EST
ST. CLOUD, Fla. -- A woman fatally shot by her mother in central Florida after being mistaken for an intruder had been visiting for the holidays, police said Wednesday.
The mother was asleep when she heard someone enter her home late Tuesday, St. Cloud police Sgt. Denise Roberts said Wednesday. The mother told police she heard footsteps approaching quickly so she fired a single shot.
She then discovered the person was her 27-year-old daughter, according to a news release from police. The daughter had been visiting from North Carolina and didn't live in the home, Roberts said.
The daughter was taken to a hospital where she died. The mother also was taken to a hospital for treatment.
St. Cloud police officials said the mother is a 911 dispatcher for Osceola County and her husband is a St. Cloud police corporal. The Associated Press isn't naming the family members because of the husband's past work as an undercover narcotics officer, as well as the fact that no criminal charges have been filed.
Detectives were investigating the case but say the mother's story matches the evidence so far.
"At this time, the incident appears to be an accidental shooting," the news release said.
The state attorney's office will review the shooting to decide whether charges should be filed after the St. Cloud Police Department has completed its investigation.
Because the shooter wasn't a law enforcement officer, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement will not be investigating.
Florida woman mistakes daughter for intruder, shoots her dead: Cops | World | Ne

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The onlky thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

- Oscar Pistorius

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Oh, it happens up here, too.

"He gestured that he might move towards me, so I emptied all 17 rounds into him before we got the Taser out."

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Oh, it happens up here, too.

"He gestured that he might move towards me, so I emptied all 17 rounds into him before we got the Taser out."
Well, it's an incredibly tough and dangerous job, and they keep us safe, y'know. Gotta give 'em a little leeway.

How bout "I could tell by the look in his eyes that he was considering thinking about possibly calculating the concept of attacking me or some other officer at some point in the past, present, or future, somewhere in the Solar System, so I had no choice but to shoot him sixteen times in the back."