WW II veteran not allowed to renew health card

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
bravo government wankers of all slimy levels, bravo.

A 94-year-old World War II veteran is frustrated he can't get his Ontario health card renewed, because according to provincial guidelines, he can't prove he's a Canadian citizen.

On a routine visit to an Ottawa hospital a few months ago, staff reminded James Stuart Scharf that his Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) card was about to expire.

When he went to renew his health card at a Service Ontario kiosk, he was told he couldn't prove his Canadian citizenship as required, because he only had a photocopy of his passport.

"I fought a war, paid my taxes, everything else you can think of," said Scharf, "and they won't give me a card!"

Scharf misplaced his original passport, and he doesn't have a Canadian birth certificate because he was born in Scotland and moved here when he was two years old.

Subsequent trips to Service Ontario and inquiries by his family haven't resolved anything, and his son Gord Scharf called the whole ordeal "very frustrating".

more yours to discover

WW II veteran not allowed to renew health card - Ottawa - CBC News

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Worse things have been done to veterans by our governments. It might be a difficult process but there are ways of getting his citizenship recognized.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If he can't find his passport, he'll have to obtain a new one. Obtaining a passport can be a headache at the best of times.

All in the name of national security.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
At 94, he'll be needing that Health Card long before the bureaucracy will ever get a passport processed. If he served, he should be in touch with Veterans' Affairs (another near hopeless bureaucracy) and the Royal Canadian Legion - because it doesn't take a lot of time for Ontario's bureaucracy to lose an existence.

I'll bet you can guess what I think of stumble-bum bureaucracy

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
At 94, he'll be needing that Health Card long before the bureaucracy will ever get a passport processed.

In the article it explains that he can access health services with his expired card. Information the OP left out because when you look at the whole situation, it's not the outrage you're looking for. In fact, the family might be pissed but the extent of their anger seems to be that they are just annoyed and uncertain.

The article contains this doozy: "It was a lot easier for him to get one of France's highest decorations than it is to actually prove that he's a citizen," said his son.

Not so sure that makes a lot of sense.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Sure the old rebel card - the red and white pictureless one - is valid. The point is, where Federal and Provincial ministries are supposed to co-operate, as bureacracies they operate as strictly-ruled fiefdoms unto themselves. As explained to me at West Nipissing General Hospital (I had a rebel card too) they accept them as a courtesy because Ontario's contracted-out version of service is more like the service the bull offers the cow.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
At his age he must be receiving CPP and you have to be a Canadian citizen for that...
Case closed!

You health care card in Ontario has an expiry date? Huh! Who knew? No expiry date in Alberta.

It's not too bad, the expiry date matches your drivers' license expiry date so you can get both renewed at the same time.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Didn't use too. But our Dark Overlord leader went and made all the old ones invalid and forced her subjects to get the new ones.
Actually you can thank McNuggets for that one. As for the veteran, well it would be appear he's dealing with a Libtard govt that thinks and acts like US Republicans at times.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
"Service" Ontario is populated with officious twits, in my experience. Our local one has snide, unfriendly young workers there who obviously believe themselves to be vitally important government operatives, issuing drivers licences, health cards and all. One gets the odour of "I have a job here because Uncle is also a civil Servant, peasant"

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
In SK when your card expires they mail you a renewal sticker instead of making 91 year old veterans stand in line to argue with waterhead millenials.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This is where an executive order from the Premier comes in give him a damn
Card and end the frustration for this man. Enough is enough