JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Easy. Second degree is easier to prove.

"This isn't a court of justice, boy
This is a court of law"
-- Billy Bragg

BBBBBBBBBut second degree is spur of the moment, murder for financial gain is planned!
How would you go about proving a murder for financial gain wasn't planned? I contend for financial gain 1st. degree is easier to prove! :)

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
How can a murder that is financially motivated be ruled 2nd degree?

If you are talking about the Oland case, JLM, I believe it is because it was not deemed a premeditated murder but a crime of passion. In the first case it would be 1rst degree, in the second, 2nd degree.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If you are talking about the Oland case, JLM, I believe it is because it was not deemed a premeditated murder but a crime of passion. In the first case it would be 1rst degree, in the second, 2nd degree.

According to the CBC news channel this morning it was deemed to be for financial gain.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
According to the CBC news channel this morning it was deemed to be for financial gain.

It may well have been, JLM trouble is that without proof that Oland had been planning to murder his Dad for awhile, it is still 2nd degree murder. From what I have heard about the trial it was never proved that the act was anything more than an argument that escalated and ended in murder.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It may well have been, JLM trouble is that without proof that Oland had been planning to murder his Dad for awhile, it is still 2nd degree murder. From what I have heard about the trial it was never proved that the act was anything more than an argument that escalated and ended in murder.

Perhaps C.B.C. added something they shouldn't have!