Throw those god damned supplements and vitamins in the garbage can.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
C.B.C. has just concluded an investigation into vitamins and supplements. Supplements by and large don't have the ingredients or if they do not in the amounts they claim. With the possible exception of pregnant women vitamins out of a bottle aren't necessary. If we are eating properly, everything we need is in the food. The vitamin and supplement business is extracting $millions out of our pockets to benefit a bunch of charlatans. Throw the sh*t in the garbage can and don't buy any more!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Would you like to buy my new Healthy Nutrition Placebos? Only $39.95 plus shipping and handling.

Doesn't your family deserve the very best?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
y do not in the amounts they claim. With the possible exception of pregnant women vitamins out of a bottle aren't necessary. If we are eating properly, everything we need is in the food. The vitamin and supplement business is extracting $millions out of our pockets to benefit a bunch of charlatans. Throw the sh*t in the garbage can and don't buy any more!

that's the clincher there in bold. Not all of us are able to eat the recommended quantities of food that we're suppose to.

I don't. But I also don't take a bed pan bullet thinking it will help.

I go with a powdered food source that I mix with water or juice (depending on the powder) I take fish oil pills cause I definately don't eat enough fish and currently am a little worried about eating fish out of our oceans right now. Not sure if I'm comfortable with the level of testing that's been done in the wake of Fukishima's melt down.

I had heard that many people are taking mega doses and that this can be quite dangerous.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Not all. Vitamin D is legit.

If you are referring to mega doses of Vit D, currently the medical establishment believes:

Vitamin D toxicity is usually caused by megadoses of vitamin D supplements — not by diet or sun exposure. That's because your body regulates the amount of vitamin D produced by sun exposure, and even fortified foods don't contain large amounts of vitamin D.

The main consequence of vitamin D toxicity is a buildup of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia), which can cause poor appetite, nausea and vomiting. Weakness, frequent urination and kidney problems also may occur.

Taking 50,000 international units (IU) a day of vitamin D for several months has been shown to cause toxicity. This level is many times higher than the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for most adults of 600 IU of vitamin D a day.

Doses higher than the RDA are sometimes used to treat medical problems such as vitamin D deficiency, but these are given only under the care of a doctor for a specified time frame. Blood levels should be monitored while someone is taking high doses of vitamin D.

Although vitamin D toxicity is uncommon even among people who take supplements, you may be at greater risk if you have health problems, such as liver or kidney conditions, or if you take thiazide-type diuretics.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
that's the clincher there in bold. Not all of us are able to eat the recommended quantities of food that we're suppose to.

I go with a powdered food source that I mix with water or juice (depending on the powder) I take fish oil pills cause I definately don't eat enough fish and currently am a little worried about eating fish out of our oceans right now. Not sure if I'm comfortable with the level of testing that's been done in the wake of Fukishima's melt down.

I had heard that many people are taking mega doses and that this can be quite dangerous.

I eat lots of fish w/o much concern. I know the bottom feeders are prone to mercury content, so probably one feed of them a week is safe. Every thing has a potential to kill, so what can you do? Moderation is the key. I eat quite a bit of canned salmon & a little bit of canned tuna and some fresh fish once a month or so.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I eat lots of fish w/o much concern. I know the bottom feeders are prone to mercury content, so probably one feed of them a week is safe. Every thing has a potential to kill, so what can you do? Moderation is the key. I eat quite a bit of canned salmon & a little bit of canned tuna and some fresh fish once a month or so.
Why don't ye build ye a fishin pond and throw some walleye and crappie and a catfish or two in there and you can eat fish eva day. Never had walleye but I'm told it's good eatin fish.

Knew an old man in Missouri had a catfish pond and it was full of big catfish. He loved fried catfish and frog legs.

I love fish especially fried fish like Cod or Orange Roughy. I'd eat it every day if I could. But maybe fresh water fish is healthier even though it doesn't taste as good.

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
It doesn't happen often, but I do agree with the CBC this time. I think that it is true that the most effective way to be sure that you are taking the proper.amount of vitamins, is to eat properly. It seems to be the way that people do things now, take some pills rather than making the effort of eating properly. If a person thinks about it, what would be better for someone. A proper diet or a pill that is probably not going to dissolve. I read several years ago that calcium tablets are the worst thing to take for osteoporosis because of their effect on a person's. People should research these things for themselves as opposed to taking Dr. Oz's word.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
C.B.C. has just concluded an investigation into vitamins and supplements. Supplements by and large don't have the ingredients or if they do not in the amounts they claim. With the possible exception of pregnant women vitamins out of a bottle aren't necessary. If we are eating properly, everything we need is in the food. The vitamin and supplement business is extracting $millions out of our pockets to benefit a bunch of charlatans. Throw the sh*t in the garbage can and don't buy any more!

Marketplace did a similar investigation years ago and came up with the exact same response.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Marketplace did a similar investigation years ago and came up with the exact same response.

I've always figured that stuff was mostly crap. My cousin used to have her purse loaded with jars of that crap, which she took continuously. Sadly, she died of A.L.S. but I think it was all that crap that really killed her.

I can understand there being exceptions that can not eat a normal diet...............those afflicted with Crohn's disease comes to mind.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

Agree 100%.

Vitamin supplements are useless. Nothing surpasses well balanced meals in order to improve one's health.

There is only one natural supplement that is of value and that's apple-cider-vinegar such as,