Toronto restaurant violated Muslim men's human rights

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Toronto restaurant violated Muslim men's human rights

Three Muslim men have been awarded nearly $100,000 in compensation from a Toronto restaurant where they used to work, after a human rights tribunal found their former employer breached the province’s human rights code.

Abdul Malik, Mohammed Islam and Arif Hossain each worked at Le Papillon on the Park, which is located at 1001 Eastern Ave., on the edge of Jonathan Ashbridge Park.

During his time at the restaurant, Malik served as its head chef. Hossain was a sous chef and Islam worked as a cook.

All three men ended up leaving the restaurant, following a series of alleged incidents that included badgering them to taste food during the fasting hours of Ramadan and chiding them for speaking Bengali in the kitchen.

In the case of two of the applicants, it was alleged that they were both pressured to try pork, even though it was against their religion to do so.

Malik said he ended up trying pork under duress and felt "like vomiting" as he did it.

Afterward, he was very upset and did not want his co-workers to know what had happened.

"I cried and then I just left the office," he told CBC News in an interview on Wednesday.

Men sought help while working at restaurant

Kate Sellar, the lawyer who represented the men throughout their complaint process, said the applicants first sought help when they were still working at La Papillon on the Park.

The men were initially advised to put their complaints in writing, so they could bring them to the attention of their employer and possibly resolve them.

"Ultimately, things deteriorated and they lost their jobs," Sellar told CBC Radio’s Metro Morning in an interview on Wednesday.

The owners have denied most of the allegations made by their former employees, though Sellar said the tribunal found otherwise.

Sellar said the tribunal found that her clients' story was consistent and credible, while the evidence given by the restaurant owners was "less credible and less reliable."

The restaurant has been ordered to compensate the men for their lost wages and for the injury to their dignity, Sellar said.

The lawyer for the restaurant owners has indicated that they will ask the tribunal to reconsider its decision.

CBC News was not able to reach the owners or their lawyer for comment on Wednesday.

Malik said he and his colleagues are happy with the tribunal’s judgment and hope to put this behind them.

source: Toronto restaurant violated Muslim men's human rights - Toronto - CBC News

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I wonder if the Quran told them getting employment elsewhere would result in them being stoned to death.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
What's with these idiots getting jobs where they can't do the job due to religion? Go dig a sandbox....

This is a good point. I'm not against anyone coming to this country as an immigrant (sorry first nations), but damn I wish they would shut the **** up but their religion. Move to chiba b I t c h e s.....

Don't like canada, no problem don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out

Go back to your regime. Clearly some Muslims can't handle personal freedom. Oh well thank jesus I'm not brainwashed liked these 3 goofs

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
They could have somebody else taste it and if they make it all the time it should taste pretty much the same all the time
Once again, it is the head chef's job, not someone else's. As to the rest of your comment, that's easier said than done when there are a variety of kitchen positions in a restaurant with several people preparing the various parts of the menu. The head chef is ultimately responsible for the quality of the food being prepared in his kitchen.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The moral to the story is don't violate other people's rights. And when you do don't make yourself out to look like the victim.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Ontariio's Human Rights Commission is famous for taking the word of the minorities over the word of the defendants. They assume 'guilty until proven innocent' and we all know how hard it is to prove innocence.

Muslims are famous too for using their religion to get away with stuff and take advantage whenever possible.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
The moral to the story is don't violate other people's rights. And when you do don't make yourself out to look like the victim.
No, the moral of the story SHOULD be, don't apply for and accept jobs that you know damn well you can't/won't do fully. For example, years ago when I was still a young lad I worked at a pizza place as a driver. For those unfamiliar with the job, it is generally the driver's job to help prep the toppings. As business grew they needed another driver and hired some Pakistani dude who suddenly "realized" that he could only do deliveries because his religion didn't permit him to touch pork. Well, considering pepperoni is the number one pizza topping, not to mention bacon and sausage, plus washing the dishes including the containers those toppings were in, I just looked at the dude and said, "Have you never f*cking heard of pizza before? What the hell do you think the most popular pizza topping is?"

He was let go before even making his first delivery :lol:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Really.

If you do not like a job and cannot perform all the duties the job requires, why the hell are you there? But in a litigation happy country, I guess one can attempt to get a big payoff and snivel about bigotry towards religion instead of actually finding another job.