Ken Taylor, former Canadian ambassador to Iran, dead at 81

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Ken Taylor, former Canadian ambassador to Iran, dead at 81 - Canada - CBC News

Former Canadian ambassador to Iran Ken Taylor has died, his son told CBC News on Thursday. He was 81 years old.

The Calgary-born diplomat was most famous for his role in the 1979 covert operation called the "Canadian Caper," when he sheltered six Americans who escaped capture when a mob of Iranians stormed the U.S. Embassy in Tehran and took most people inside hostage in November 1979.

With the co-operation of the CIA, Taylor helped the six get Canadian passports to deceive the Iranian Revolutionary Guard and escape the country.

His actions during the hostage crisis were portrayed in two movies, most recently in Ben Affleck's 2012 movie Argo.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Considering the whole situation was the result of US foreign policy he literally save the Americans from themselves. Not taking away from the risks he took but one should really stop and think about the real reason it all took place.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
RIP

Considering the whole situation was the result of US foreign policy he literally save the Americans from themselves. Not taking away from the risks he took but one should really stop and think about the real reason it all took place.

Seriously? Didn't you promise us a 2 month vacation from you being here?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Now is not the time nor the place, PN. Fare thee well, Mr Taylor.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
RIP, did he leave a diary as to what really went on. (like the leaving the air cleaners off the rescue choppers or the delay in the release until Regan was sworn in. Kind of tells you how much danger they were in and the 'hoards' were university students that saw the people of the land were being robbed by big oil. Might try for one or two actual facts, he is dead after all so he isn't going to be bothered by it. I'm pretty sure Iran/Conta Affair was not referencing the revolting university students.

Whoops off topic apparently, are you his widow?

RIP

Maybe that was a hint you should take 2 months off.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Now is not the time nor the place, PN. Fare thee well, Mr Taylor.
I was nice about it.
I've been gone for months already. Now I'm stuck at home after shoulder surgery and really bored.
Maybe that was a hint you should take 2 months off.
I don't take hints. I will however take large stacks of $20s and $50s :smile:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Type in Syria in any search engine, it will keep you amused for awhile.

You paying the postage, I keep those in Nigeria so shipping costs are extra. How many pallets of each would you like?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There was a movie in the US lately that had the Americans taking all
the credit for saving them it takes the death of the central character to
have the real truth revealed

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
'They all are'?? You also have the same blanket fear/punishment for the ones that tailgate you when you are in a big truck and they are in a smart-car catching your draft, the one behind the truck rather than the one in your head.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
It is too bad that those Hollywood filmmakers chose to diminish Ken Taylor's chutzpah and heroism in their story telling for their own nationalistic reasons.

Anyway, we remember what he achieved in the face of real danger in Iran. For those of you who weren't alive during the Islamic Revolution, the hostage crisis in Tehran went on and on and on, seemingly without any possibility of resolution. It humiliated our neighbour, ruined a presidency, emasculated the US military and made some truly hideous Mullahs far more powerful than they were ever deserving of being. Ken Taylor and his dramatic rescue of some of those US Embassy staff was the only good news in that whole story for a year, at least.

Ballsy. That's what Ken Taylor was.

Here's to you, sir.

Last edited:

FearandLoathing

Jul 24, 2015
Ken Taylor, former Canadian ambassador to Iran, dead at 81 - Canada - CBC News

Former Canadian ambassador to Iran Ken Taylor has died, his son told CBC News on Thursday. He was 81 years old.

The Calgary-born diplomat was most famous for his role in the 1979 covert operation called the "Canadian Caper," when he sheltered six Americans who escaped capture when a mob of Iranians stormed the U.S. Embassy in Tehran and took most people inside hostage in November 1979.

With the co-operation of the CIA, Taylor helped the six get Canadian passports to deceive the Iranian Revolutionary Guard and escape the country.

His actions during the hostage crisis were portrayed in two movies, most recently in Ben Affleck's 2012 movie Argo.
I had occasion in the mid 80's to have met the man. He was a very ordinary Canadian who performed in an extraordinary way. To you Ambassador Taylor and and thank you for your contribution to our country.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
so, the Iranians finally got him with their super secret nuclear old age ray
RIP old dude

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
It was weird, I was on an exchange at an American school at the time and after the rescue, you'd have thought I was personally responsible for it or something. Everybody saying "Thank you" to me. Very strange.

RIP Mr. Taylor. You are a true Canadian hero.