Zunera Ishaq, who challenged ban on niqab, takes citizenship oath wearing it

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
She said she was willing to remove the veil for the purposes of identification, but refused to do the same during the public ceremony, citing religious beliefs.

Really makes you wonder what all the snivelling was about...OK...not really. I'm pretty sure we know the real motives behind the anti-niqab folks.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Really makes you wonder what all the snivelling was about...OK...not really. I'm pretty sure we know the real motives behind the anti-niqab folks.

But what if she switched places with the judge? What if she has a pretty Middle Eastern face? We didn't get to see that?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Another nail in the coffin of democracy.
Yep, you're f*cked. They'll be coming for your hockey sticks, stupid hats, and beer next week.

The good news is that, now Canada's no longer a democracy, we can get away from all those tedious election threads.

So, who will be the new Dictator of Canada?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Especially when Canada has granted her the freedom as a woman to choose how she dresses.
I think it's adorable that you actually believe she has a choice.

But hey just think, at least you're as progressive as those wonderful groups like the Taliban, al Qaeda, ISIS and the countries they're ruining, as well as those great bastions of freedom and democracy like Saudi Arabia and Iran.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I think it's adorable that you actually believe she has a choice.

But hey just think, at least you're as progressive as those wonderful groups like the Taliban, al Qaeda, ISIS and the countries they're ruining, as well as those great bastions of freedom and democracy like Saudi Arabia and Iran.

The Taliban did not allow women to wear the niqab. It required them to wear the burqa. In that sense, you're just like them by telling women how to dress and not dress.

Irán requires women to wear loose-fitting non-revealing clothing and to cover their hair. It also does not require them to cover their faces though it does allow them to do so sinse it is a common practice to wear the niqab in Iran's south. Whether it prohibits face covering in some cases, I don't know but I doubt it beyond what might be required for legitimate reasons. The only place it might require the chador (which also does not cover the face) is at the mosque, and there chadors are lent out to those who don't have one.

Again, you're just like Irán trying to tell women how to dress and not dress except that Irán is one step ahead of you in at least going them the choice to cover or not cover their faces. In that sense, you're more like the Taliban in opposing that choice.

I'm not familiar with ISIS' and Saudi Arabia's policies on the matter, but maybe you could enlighten me on them.

By the way, I'd seen women wear the niqab in Urumqi. Guess where that is.

The saddest part is that while even Irán gives women the freedom to choose whether or not to cover their faces, Canada, just like the Taliban, wants to take that freedom away. And to think that even Irán thought the Taliban to be extremist!

The only four other governments besides the Taliban that I know of which have taken it away are officially atheist states like China (and even it allows the burqa in unofficial contexts) and closed secular extremist states like Turkey and France and Quebec which have either also banned crucifixes or at least tried to.

Last edited:

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
The Taliban did not allow women to wear the niqab. It required them to wear the burqa. In that sense, you're just like them by telling women how to dress and not dress.

Irán requires women to wear loose-fitting non-revealing clothing and to cover their hair. It also does not require them to cover their faces though it does allow them to do so sinse it is a common practice to wear the niqab in Iran's south. Whether it prohibits face covering in some cases, I don't know but I doubt it beyond what might be required for legitimate reasons. The only place it might require the chador (which also does not cover the face) is at the mosque, and there chadors are lent out to those who don't have one.

Again, you're just like Irán trying to tell women how to dress and not dress except that Irán is one step ahead of you in at least going them the choice to cover or not cover their faces. In that sense, you're more like the Taliban in opposing that choice.

I'm not familiar with ISIS' and Saudi Arabia's policies on the matter, but maybe you could enlighten me on them.

By the way, I'd seen women wear the niqab in Urumqi. Guess where that is.

The saddest part is that while even Irán gives women the freedom to choose whether or not to cover their faces, Canada, just like the Taliban, wants to take that freedom away. And to think that even Irán thought the Taliban to be extremist!

The only four other governments besides the Taliban that I know of which have taken it away are officially atheist states like China (and even it allows the burqa in unofficial contexts) and closed secular extremist states like Turkey and France and Quebec which have either also banned crucifixes or at least tried to.
sounds like you have been to some exciting places?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Wrong, dumb a$$, but that's not unusual for you. Is it. Canada wants to prevent people from wearing a face covering during swearing in and oath taking. This "woman" and any other woman can wear that face covering any where else they want.

So, why don't you try something new, and stick to the truth instead of spreading lies to further your agenda.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Wrong, dumb a$$, but that's not unusual for you. Is it. Canada wants to prevent people from wearing a face covering during swearing in and oath taking. This "woman" and any other woman can wear that face covering any where else they want.

So, why don't you try something new, and stick to the truth instead of spreading lies to further your agenda.

The courts already ruled that she must remove it prior to the ceremony for identification purposes.

Yes, "Canadians" want to tell her how to dress beyond what is reasonably required,telling her when she can or can't cover her face. Again, even Irán grants women choice on that matter.