Shade Balls

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Simple and cool prevention technique.

California residents are throwing shade to do just that. Across water reservoirs in Los Angeles, millions of “shade balls” have been released to prevent harmful chemical reactions, reduce evaporation and cut down on algae growth.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Travelling through Michigan I noticed almost all the rest stops had waterless urinals. It got me thinking about what water conservation policies had been tried in California other than whining. I am glad to see they are doing something and this seems to be a brilliant solution.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Balls are probably made of plastic. Plastics off-gas, especially in sunlight. Sunlight also kills nasty bacteria. Evaporation? What goes up must come down.
If I were California, I would have invested in desalination plants long ago. But then politics being what it is .....

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Travelling through Michigan I noticed almost all the rest stops had waterless urinals. It got me thinking about what water conservation policies had been tried in California other than whining. I am glad to see they are doing something and this seems to be a brilliant solution.

They're also catching/holding grey water to be used in certain applications. They are working towards greater water conservation and new water conservation ideas. There could be some amazing innovations come from this trial they're having.

I think they were just very shocked to have 3 full years without rain. IT was not expected.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
California should have finished the current governor's father's reservoir plan from the 60's. They would have lots of water now if they had finished the project but the eco-loonies, including the current governor, Moonbeam, put a stop to it in the 70's and 80's.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
California should have finished the current governor's father's reservoir plan from the 60's. They wold have lots of water now if they had finished the project but the eco-loonies, including the current governor, Moonbeam, put a stop to it in the 70's and 80's.

Hindsight is always 20/20.