Robin Williams had Lewy Body Dementia...

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
According to his official autopsy, actor and comedian Robin Williams had a disease called Lewy body dementia (LBD), which may have contributed to his decision to kill himself.

People with LBD have dementia and often appear disoriented. According to ABC News, Williams had displayed odd behavior in his final days — notably, he kept several watches in a sock and was “concerned about keeping the watches safe.”
“The dementia usually leads to significant cognitive impairment that interferes with everyday life,” said Angela Taylor, programming director of the Lewy Body Dementia Association in an interview with ABC News. Still, symptoms are hard to spot. “If you didn’t know them you may not realize anything is wrong.”

LBD is fairly common, with 1.3 million people suffering from the illness in the United States, although it largely remains undiagnosed since it shares symptoms with better-known diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.

Biologically, the disease stems from abnormal protein deposits in the brain stem where they stop the production of dopamine. In LBD, the deposits spread throughout the brain, including to the cerebral cortex (responsible for problem solving and perception). The main symptom is progressive dementia, although people with the disease may also experience complicated visual hallucinations that could include smells and sounds, trouble sleeping, changes in attention and symptoms generally associated with Parkinson’s disease (which Williams also had).

Typically, patients are diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease first, and then LBD symptoms begin to appear. An examination of Williams’ brain revealed that it had undergone changes associated with Alzheimer’s, in addition to Parkinson’s and LBD.

“Though his death is terribly sad,” Taylor said, “it’s a good opportunity to inform people about this disease and the importance of early diagnosis.”

Autopsy: Robin Williams Had Lewy Body Dementia | Alternet

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
My grandmother had a form of dementia. If what he had would have ultimately led to him having to go through something similar to what she did I dont blame him for deciding to end it on his terms. I probably would in that situation too.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
My grandmother had a form of dementia. If what he had would have ultimately led to him having to go through something similar to what she did I dont blame him for deciding to end it on his terms. I probably would in that situation too.

yep, I agree with you 100%. I think I would do the same thing. I would hate to loose myself to dementia and have my family go through that hell.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Particularly when you know they dont want to be there and the state they are in was their worst fear.

Yes. Unless they develop care homes like they have in the netherlands, in Canada it's a living hell to have dementia.

Hogeweyk

It's not Hell, it's inconvenient.

it's a life lived in guilt, and grief, and anger, and fear and no relief. You can disagree with me all you want. I know these facts. Your opinion is moot.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
My grandfather had dementia and it was extremely difficult for my uncle to deal with. Eventually, he was put in a nursing home because it wasn't safe for him to be by himself. My husband and I decided one time to take him out to the Ukrainian Village as there was a special celebration that we thought he'd enjoy and also to get him out of the nursing home for a bit..

The Ukrainian Village, for those who don't know, is east of Edmonton and a large park that celebrates the Ukrainians who came to Canada 100 years ago and has exhibits and demonstrations on how things used to be.

He walked around the village telling everyone who would listen that he was in "jail" and that he didn't want to be in "jail" anymore. It was so funny (but somewhat embarrassing too). Poor guy. Simply couldn't live on his own anymore though. He passed away in November, 1998 - he would have been 96 the following April.

Grandpa's dementia had him living in 1926 and for whatever reason, every time I visited him, that year was all he could talk about. He knew who I was, but could not relate to anything current - it was all 1926. Needless to say, my patience was tested because he would repeat the same stories over and over again. After speaking to the nurses and having them explain exactly what his dementia was all about, I was better able to understand and simply sat and listened to what he had to say. I am SOOOO happy I did that because those memories will always be with me.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Dixie Cup said:
Grandpa's dementia had him living in 1926 and for whatever reason, every time I visited him, that year was all he could talk about. He knew who I was, but could not relate to anything current - it was all 1926. Needless to say, my patience was tested because he would repeat the same stories over and over again. After speaking to the nurses and having them explain exactly what his dementia was all about, I was better able to understand and simply sat and listened to what he had to say. I am SOOOO happy I did that because those memories will always be with me.
Went through similar, WWII.

He never lost his sense of humour, his skills or knowledge. I learned a lot over those couple years. It was like having a super smart 85 year old little brother.

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
I am dealing with this right now with my 86-year-old mother

She is still living at home, but has home care nurses visit her every morning because we have to keep her medications in a lockbox. She's able to do basic every day stuff, small meals, laundry, making the bed but her memory is extremely terrible.
In a 10 minute period she will ask you what day it is 10 times.
I'm trying to keep her out of the rest home as long as possible as long as it remains safe.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
I am dealing with this right now with my 86-year-old mother

She is still living at home, but has home care nurses visit her every morning because we have to keep her medications in a lockbox. She's able to do basic every day stuff, small meals, laundry, making the bed but her memory is extremely terrible.
In a 10 minute period she will ask you what day it is 10 times.
I'm trying to keep her out of the rest home as long as possible as long as it remains safe.
Been there done that.
The sooner you get her into a long term care facility the better.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Mom passed away from dementia. Dad was killed instantly in a car wreck out in the middle of no where. I think dad was more fortunate than mom. I watched my uncle slowly deteriorate from alzheimers. (sp). I hope I never lose my cognitive abilities. If I do make sure plenty of the good dope is on hand.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We start out unable to care for ourselves without teeth, bald and sh-tting our pants and end unable to care for ourselves, without teeth, bald and sh-tting our pants.

Full circle.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
My mom was a nurse and worked with many many dementia patients. She was lucky to go home at the end of her shif.

many dementia patients are unpredictable and violent. Dementia is a horrible way to end your life.