Former Vancouver jail to reopen as social housing this month

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Later this month, it reopens for an entirely different purpose.

“It’s pretty amazing actually. It’s certainly a remarkable transition,” says Rich Coleman, Minister responsible for Housing.

The bars have been replaced and the cells have been retrofitted; the jail, now a 96-unit affordable housing development.

READ MORE: Vacant Vancouver jail transforms into affordable, low-income housing

Rents will range from $375 to $850, with the $21 million capital cost being paid by the government.

In addition to the residential units, the development will include the conversion of the existing jail gymnasium to a multi-purpose room, a community garden in the courtyard, a communal lounge and a bicycle storage facility.

“It’s good that their opening it up,” said Jean Swanson, an anti-poverty activist.

“The problem is only 25 of the 95 or so units are going to be affordable to people who are on welfare and disability, who are the people most likely to be homeless and need housing the most.”

Former Vancouver jail to reopen as social housing this month | Globalnews.ca

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Wonder how many of them will get their old rooms?

96 units for $21 million is pretty expensive housing when there was no land costs. Can build a nice three bedroom house for the price of each room.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Later this month, it reopens for an entirely different purpose.

“It’s pretty amazing actually. It’s certainly a remarkable transition,” says Rich Coleman, Minister responsible for Housing.

The bars have been replaced and the cells have been retrofitted; the jail, now a 96-unit affordable housing development.

READ MORE: Vacant Vancouver jail transforms into affordable, low-income housing

Rents will range from $375 to $850, with the $21 million capital cost being paid by the government.

In addition to the residential units, the development will include the conversion of the existing jail gymnasium to a multi-purpose room, a community garden in the courtyard, a communal lounge and a bicycle storage facility.

“It’s good that their opening it up,” said Jean Swanson, an anti-poverty activist.

“The problem is only 25 of the 95 or so units are going to be affordable to people who are on welfare and disability, who are the people most likely to be homeless and need housing the most.”

Former Vancouver jail to reopen as social housing this month | Globalnews.ca

I wonder how many of the people would be employable once they have decent housing. It might have to be a matter of a little short term pain for long term gain for the Government- like subsidizing two or three people at a time until they can get "on their feet". Maybe there should be one rule for inhabitants of the facility- NO DRUGS!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Wonder how many of them will get their old rooms?

This was my first thought too. How many who are on the road to recovery will be triggered by the building original use. Its' a nice thing to create such public housing, but there are some negative associations with this location.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Building? More like being right smack dab in the middle of the chaos the need to be away from.

Those types of housing come with rules and curfews that don't jive with the feral.

. Maybe there should be one rule for inhabitants of the facility- NO DRUGS!

Did you know there is a housing project that doles out one beer or one shot an hour so they don't drink hair spray?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
- "People will always use drugs. They always have used drugs. We must learn to live with this fact."

- "What I know is that the drugs themselves are not the problem."

- "Each year we arrest 1.5 million people in this country for drug law violations, and 80% of those are for simple drug possession. Decriminalisation of possession would have a huge impact."

- "I believe we should decriminalise all drugs."

- [Referencing a study] "When $20 was the alternative, the methamphetamine users almost never took the drug."

The rest:

Neuroscientist Carl Hart: People will always use drugs, we must learn to live with this fact - Americas - World - The Independent

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
- "People will always use drugs. They always have used drugs. We must learn to live with this fact."

- "What I know is that the drugs themselves are not the problem."

- "Each year we arrest 1.5 million people in this country for drug law violations, and 80% of those are for simple drug possession. Decriminalisation of possession would have a huge impact."

- "I believe we should decriminalise all drugs."

- [Referencing a study] "When $20 was the alternative, the methamphetamine users almost never took the drug."

The rest:

Neuroscientist Carl Hart: People will always use drugs, we must learn to live with this fact - Americas - World - The Independent

Re elect Harpo and we can give'em all 20 years for pot possession...........in social housing of course.

Building? More like being right smack dab in the middle of the chaos the need to be away from.

Those types of housing come with rules and curfews that don't jive with the feral.

Did you know there is a housing project that doles out one beer or one shot an hour so they don't drink hair spray?

That near your house, Petros ??

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
You're right - they are not, they just exacerbate the problem! Their head is the problem. :)

Lol, yes. But what he's meaning is that people who are happy don't become addicted to drugs. If heroin was the thing that caused addiction EVERYRONE who ever tried it would have become an addict and that is not the case.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Lol, yes. But what he's meaning is that people who are happy don't become addicted to drugs. If heroin was the thing that caused addiction EVERYRONE who ever tried it would have become an addict and that is not the case.

So true Twila- Many years ago they interviewed an old ex druggie on C.K.N.W. He had been "addicted" to heroin for 20 years and then one day out of the blue he got sick of it and the lifestyle and quit cold turkey on his own. If I remember correctly he went on to get a job in the D.T.E.S. counselling and helping other druggies.

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
A new study shows that alcohol is the gateway drug, but I say it is refine sugar; it is our first experience with altered states of consciousness. Alcohol turns to sugar in the blood stream.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
A new study shows that alcohol is the gateway drug, but I say it is refine sugar; it is our first experience with altered states of consciousness. Alcohol turns to sugar in the blood stream.

I think misery is the gateway drug to addiction.