NAACP wants removal of Confederate generals from Stone Mountain

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
ICYMI a couple weeks back:

The Atlanta chapter of the NAACP officially called for the elimination of all symbols of the Confederacy from Stone Mountain.

This comes on the heels of the removal of the Confederate battle flag from the South Carolina State House.

NAACP's Richard Rose says the time to move is now, but admits it may be a steep slope to climb.

Channel 2’s Berndt Petersen talked with Yolanda Shackelford, who was chaperoning a group of children from Cobb County on a trip to Stone Mountain.

"When I'm out here, and I have to be honest, when I'm out here enjoying Stone Mountain, I'm thinking about what it has to offer for what I'm coming for," Shackelford said.

But the Atlanta chapter of the NAACP has a much more serious point of view.

The organization issued a statement calling for the removal of all symbols of the Confederacy from the park.

"My tax dollars should not be used to commemorate slavery," Rose said.

Rose said his group wants Confederate symbols removed from all state-owned buildings, parks and lands.

Rose told Petersen he would start with Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson.

"Those guys need to go. They can be sand-blasted off, or somebody could carefully remove a slab of that and auction it off to the highest bidder," Rose said.

Shackelford said she is all for a discussion as long as it's not based on emotion.

"We have to look at history. We have to look at how it's affecting all people. That's my view. We are an organization of many faces. So, we always want to consider our total community,"Shackelford said.

A spokesman for Stone Mountain Park said any removal of the Confederate flags or monuments is up to the Georgia Legislature.

NAACP wants removal of Confederate generals from Stone Mountain | www.wsbtv.com

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Seems reasonable. I don't know of many countries who keep memorials to their traitors and enemies around.

Always felt the same way about memorials to Tecumseh, Tashunka Witko, Tatanka Iyotanka, Goyaplay, and the like.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Seems reasonable. I don't know of many countries who keep memorials to their traitors and enemies around.

Always felt the same way about memorials to Tecumseh, Tashunka Witko, Tatanka Iyotanka, Goyaplay, and the like.

I would not want memorials to Native Americans removed.

I do not think grinding monuments to dust is very productive.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

So you going to remove all reference to Paul Revere?

Looks like the NAACP is looking to rewrite history.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Is there any way we can get into the National Archives and blot out all the faces (preferably the whole body) to the right?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The rewriting of history
for political correctness
God knows no one can never be offended.
As opposed to the writing of history to make the writers look good?

Nah, couldn't ever happen. The people who write history are completely truthful, honest, and accurate. Any review or dispute is just politically correct whining.

So you going to remove all reference to Paul Revere?
No, why would we?

Looks like the NAACP is looking to rewrite history.
Funny how you object to that, and somehow fail to object to the Klan saying "the Civil War wasn't about slavery."

By the way, I suppose it escaped your attention, but the NAACP isn't trying to re-write history. They're trying to eliminate certain memorials.

If you don't understand the difference, I really can't help you.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
As opposed to the writing of history to make the writers look good?

Nah, couldn't ever happen. The people who write history are completely truthful, honest, and accurate. Any review or dispute is just politically correct whining.

No, why would we?

Funny how you object to that, and somehow fail to object to the Klan saying "the Civil War wasn't about slavery."

By the way, I suppose it escaped your attention, but the NAACP isn't trying to re-write history. They're trying to eliminate certain memorials.

If you don't understand the difference, I really can't help you.

Paul Revere was a traitor,

By eliminating memorials that they choose not to like is rewriting history.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Paul Revere was a traitor,
Which is why they have no memorials to him. In England.

If you don't understand the difference between traitor/loser and traitor/winner, you're beyond help. If you do understand the difference, you're being deliberately obtuse.

Either way, see ya.