Judge orders kids to juvenile center for refusing to see dad

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Judge orders kids to juvenile center for refusing to see dad

An Oakland County Michigan judge has ordered three children to a juvenile center until they agree to see their father.

By Cox Media Group National Content Desk
A Michigan judge has ordered three children held in juvenile detention until they are 18 years old, or until they attempt to have a relationship with their father.
Oakland County Circuit Judge Lisa Gorycyca held the three siblings, ages 15, 10 and 9, in contempt of court for refusing to apologize or participate in visitation with their father.
"I felt like I was watching them be executed," their mother, Maya Tsimhoni, said.
The family was in court for a hearing on supervised visitation. Gorycyca berated the older child, telling him that she doubted he had a very high I.Q. because he continued to defy her court order to have a relationship with his father, the Daily Tribune reported.
“You’re very defiant," she said. "You have no manners. … There is no reason why you do not have a relationship with your father. Your father has never been charged with anything. Your father’s never been convicted of anything. Your father doesn’t have a personal protection order against him. Your father is well-liked and loved by the community, his co-workers, his family (and) his colleagues. You, young man, have got it wrong. I think your father is a great man who has gone through hoops for you to have a relationship with you.”
The three children were taken into the custody after the hearing, held on June 24. According to news reports, the older son said the reason he refused to see his father is because he is violent, and he witnessed his father hitting his mother.
The judge has forbidden the children's mother and any of her family from visiting the children while they are in the detention facility, Oakland County Children's Village. At one point, Gorycyca compared the children to "Charlie Manson's cult."
A review hearing is set for Sept. 8.
The Tsimhoni kids were sent to a juvenile detention center for refusing a judge who ordered them to have lunch with their dad. Now Taryn Asher reports they're separated from their mom and each other.
Posted by FOX 2 Detroit on Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Judge orders kids to juvenile center for refusing to see dad | www.wsbtv.com

Wow.8O

Well that'll sure make 'em love dear old dad eh?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
That is totally f ucked up. Im surprised a judge can have that kind of power. It does not sound right. An appeal is in order. A judge should not be able to order anyone to have a relationship with their parents or anyone else for that matter. Its none of her business or society's business for that matter. Even if the judge is right about the father's character I'd say its irrelevant. If they dont want to have a relationship with him it should be their decision.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
That is totally f ucked up. Im surprised a judge can have that kind of power..

Absolute at times.

That is totally f ucked up. Im surprised a judge can have that kind of power. It does not sound right. An appeal is in order. A judge should not be able to order anyone to have a relationship with their parents or anyone else for that matter. Its none of her business or society's business for that matter. Even if the judge is right about the father's character I'd say its irrelevant. If they dont want to have a relationship with him it should be their decision.

I don't know the story either but kids can easily be turned against one parent by another.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don't know the story either but kids can easily be turned against one parent by another.

I know. Ive seen that happen first hand. Still, locking the kids up "til they see the light" is not the way to go about correcting it.

Is this the kids being punished or the mother for _____?
Looks like both. No one wins in this situation. Well, except the judge's ego.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They did do something wrong. If the father is Guardian from Friday at 18:00 to Sunday 18:00 and they refuse that is the same other delinquent crimes. It's like running away from home.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
They did do something wrong. If the father is Guardian from Friday at 18:00 to Sunday 18:00 and they refuse that is the same other delinquent crimes. It's like running away from home.

A 3-8 year jail sentence seems like overkill for something like that. It also is a waste of money and is counterproductive.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
This is a clear case as to why the State should reinstitute the Smack Upside The Head legislation, at very least, the ole 'don't make me pull this car over' defense prerogative.

We didn't have this problem in my young day

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
This is a clear case as to why the State should reinstitute the Smack Upside The Head legislation, at very least, the ole 'don't make me pull this car over' defense prerogative.

We didn't have this problem in my young day
Yep, kids back then did what they were told, or they did what they were told a few minutes later with a set of bruises.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I know. Ive seen that happen first hand. Still, locking the kids up "til they see the light" is not the way to go about correcting it.

I wish I knew the story so it is hard to comment.

And parents do manipulate kids to doing worse. Locally a man's wife sent her husband sent away for prison for sexual abuse of their daughter to which her daughter testified in court that it was true. Then she sent her boyfriend... then another boyfriend... then accused a third boyfriend and the authorities finally figured something just wasn't right. The dad was eventually let out after about 12 years. He could have cut a deal and admit to lesser abuse charges but he never did because there was no way he was going to admit to charges his wife trumped up.

Even better when you hit 16 or 17 and the direction of the hitting reverses.

That happens too!