MoneySense drops Calgary to 19th in Best Places to Live in Canada ranking

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
MoneySense drops Calgary to 19th in Best Places to Live in Canada

MoneySense Magazine has released its list of best places to live in Canada, and Calgary has dropped dramatically.
It was ranked as the second best place to live in Canada last year but is now number 19.

There was 209 communities included in the ranking, all of them had a population of more than 10,000 people. This year the Boucherville, Que., grabbed the top spot.

The magazine survey uses information from Statistics Canada and other information agencies.

It looks at 34 different categories including employment rates, housing, crime rates and access to health care.

"At lot of people are pointing to the oil being the reason for the slide we are seeing in Alberta," said the magazine's managing editor Mark Brown. "But in fact the oil prices and the economic pressures haven't really factored into the numbers yet."

He said it will be interesting to see how oil prices factor into next year's findings. He believes the Alberta's rapid growth is more likely the cause of the drop.

"That actually works against cities like Calgary, to a certain extent, where they just start to grow too fast," said Brown.

"And that starts to put pressure on cities in terms of their ability to provide health care, access to transit and it starts to filter into other areas of the city as well like housing prices."

He said Calgary is still in the top 25 and a little work could help boost the city's ranking, like getting access to more doctors as the population expands.

source: https://ca.news.yahoo.com/moneysense-drops-calgary-19th-best-014402545.html

Dropped down because there are no more jobs for all the carpet baggers.. they can't even afford a one way ticket back east..

P.S. Alberta will always be #1 one my heart, second only to Texas.. ;)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I've never been to Yellowknife so can't say for sure but was quite surprised to see it rated higher than Kelowna. (Kelowna does have the highest crime rate in Canada, so maybe that explains it)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
When did Kelowna beat out Saskatoon?

No idea, I just glanced at the list for the first time tonight for a few minutes. Kelowna is very popular it seems (I don't know why) it's just become another f**king jungle.

Saskabush is rated about 30 points AHEAD of Kelowna.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yeah, kind'a shocked to hear that as well.. thought Kelowna was just a bunch of old retires.. what, stealing each others dentures is a felony now??

But also a hell of a lot of young people too as U.B.C. now has a campus there and a lot of folks in the hospitality industry.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
I believe Calgary lost some years in making their City more attractive,I think they call it Urban Sprawl under the Conservatives.
One thing going on in Calgary,is their Mayor,I hope he is Alberta's Premier some day,or even better he should work with our present
Premier to get Alberta back on track.

Kelowna is little Vancouver.

Does anyone remember Alberta Report?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
JLM I live in Kelowna wonderful city but and I mean BUT. This city is a line of strip malls.
Traffic sucks to get anywhere, they have an express lane on the outside congested all the
time. Crime rate is high. On the other hand beautiful place lots of recreation diversity
and still has some rural roots.
I think Kelowna is a great place as good as any other but too congested with no manageable
traffic plan.
Calgary has some economic problems brought on by unchecked growth it couldn't manage
now there is a down turn that happens in all economies it will return like other cities not the
end of the world.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM I live in Kelowna wonderful city but and I mean BUT. This city is a line of strip malls.
Traffic sucks to get anywhere, they have an express lane on the outside congested all the
time. Crime rate is high. On the other hand beautiful place lots of recreation diversity
and still has some rural roots.
I think Kelowna is a great place as good as any other but too congested with no manageable
traffic plan.
Calgary has some economic problems brought on by unchecked growth it couldn't manage
now there is a down turn that happens in all economies it will return like other cities not the
end of the world.

I think one of the biggest problems Kelowna faces in the future is water, between a growing population and more and more agriculture, someone had better find a few aquifers.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
MoneySense drops Calgary to 19th in Best Places to Live in Canada

MoneySense Magazine has released its list of best places to live in Canada, and Calgary has dropped dramatically.
It was ranked as the second best place to live in Canada last year but is now number 19.

There was 209 communities included in the ranking, all of them had a population of more than 10,000 people. This year the Boucherville, Que., grabbed the top spot.

The magazine survey uses information from Statistics Canada and other information agencies.

It looks at 34 different categories including employment rates, housing, crime rates and access to health care.

"At lot of people are pointing to the oil being the reason for the slide we are seeing in Alberta," said the magazine's managing editor Mark Brown. "But in fact the oil prices and the economic pressures haven't really factored into the numbers yet."

He said it will be interesting to see how oil prices factor into next year's findings. He believes the Alberta's rapid growth is more likely the cause of the drop.

"That actually works against cities like Calgary, to a certain extent, where they just start to grow too fast," said Brown.

"And that starts to put pressure on cities in terms of their ability to provide health care, access to transit and it starts to filter into other areas of the city as well like housing prices."

He said Calgary is still in the top 25 and a little work could help boost the city's ranking, like getting access to more doctors as the population expands.

source: https://ca.news.yahoo.com/moneysense-drops-calgary-19th-best-014402545.html

Dropped down because there are no more jobs for all the carpet baggers.. they can't even afford a one way ticket back east..

P.S. Alberta will always be #1 one my heart, second only to Texas.. ;)
can you see Russia from thar?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Calgary is 2000ft higher.

Above M.S.L. but when you are looking from Regina to Calgary there is a substantial amount of arc on the great circle - about 9 degrees 26 minutes on a complete arc of about 14,000 miles at 50 degrees latitude, so you have to calculate the amount to be subtended at the mid point, which would be about half the amount you'd have to be above the earth at either end. Hope I'm not confusing you.