Earthquake hits England, shaking houses and waking residents

B00Mer
Earthquake hits England, shaking houses and waking residents

An earthquake hit parts of Kent in the early hours of Friday morning, shaking houses, rattling windows and waking people in the county.

The magnitude 4.2 earthquake was being investigated by seismologists at the British Geological Survey which said tremors had been felt in areas including Margate.

Kent police were inundated with calls.

A spokesman said: “It has now been confirmed parts of east Kent has been affected by an earthquake measuring just 4.3 on the Richter scale (British Geological Survey).

“Police began receiving reports of the earthquake tremor in the east Kent area at around 2.57am. Police and the fire and rescue service had no reports of structural damage or injuries. We will continue to liaise with our partner agencies to ensure we are providing help and support in any areas needed.”

Musician Jake West was in his terraced house in Canterbury when he reported it started shaking.

“At 3am it’s normally quiet,” he told the Guardian. “There was silence, then there was shaking. It was very odd. It felt like there was someone very heavy who was stomping down the stairs.”

Vikki Petts said: “So we just had a 4.3 magnitude earthquake in Kent and my housemates slept through the entire thing. Certainly woke me up!”

Jonathan Tapp said: “Earthquake in East Kent and now can’t get back to sleep. Despite months spent in NZ this is my first one that I’ve felt.”

Iain Buchanan, of Ramsgate, said: “So I’m not going mental, my house shook due to an earthquake in Kent of all places. Thank god for 24 hrs news & social media to find out.

“Lying in bed when the house suddenly shook. Thought something had collapsed outside, so got up to check.

“I’ve looked outside and all appears to be find in the street. No damage that I can see. Will obviously see more later when it’s lighter. Weird experience anyway.”

Other agencies initially recorded varying measurements, including the European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre, based in Paris, said the earthquake measured 4.3 on the Richter scale.

It tweeted: “M4.3 earthquake strikes 46km SE of Southend-on-Sea (United Kingdom).”

The US Geological Survey measured the quake as magnitude 4.0.

British seismologists sent a series of tweets in the early hours of the morning and provided some perspective by drawing a comparison with the disaster in Nepal:

source: Earthquake hits Kent, shaking houses and waking residents | UK news | The Guardian (external - login to view)

Frack the Fracking Frackers

petros
Tiny itty bitty. Just like England.

B00Mer
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Blackleaf will be tripp'in

Surprised he's not on CC tell'in us all about it..

Check out twitter.. https://twitter.com/hashtag/kentearthquake (external - login to view)

petros
Brits invented earthquakes.

Cliffy
Prolly them fracking frackers. France just kicked them out.

petros
For f-ck sakes, get some f-cking help already.

Walter
+1
Climate change.

Blackleaf
Right near Ramsgate, where the 50 "little ships" set sail for Dunkirk yesterday to mark the 75th anniversary of the Dunkirk Evacuation.

Bull****. You try walking it from Plymouth to Manchester.

petros
Not even a 4 day walk.

Blackleaf

Not even a 4 day walk.

It's approximately 300 miles between Plymouth and Manchester. Average walking speed is 3mph. That means that even if you walked at 3mph continuously for 24 hours per day it would take you around 100 hours, or nearly four days. But, of course, you wouldn't be walking at 3mph for 24 hours each day with no rest and no stoppages at all.

petros
Still tiny. It is what it is.

That distance wouldn't get me 1/2 way up my province.

Tecumsehsbones
Now he's arguing that the island England is on is big.

Compared to Canada.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Now he's arguing that the island England is on is big.

It IS big. Have you looked on a map?

petros
+1
Yeah. It's tiny on the map.

Blackleaf

Tecumsehsbones

Well, if your map includes only Britain and Ireland, I guess you could miss those continents. Or maybe they're not really there. That would be consistent with Blackleaf's idea of "facts."

petros
My province is more than 4X bigger.

Blackleaf

But your province isn't an island. And there's hardly anyone living in your province.

petros
That's what makes it great.

B00Mer
+1

Size matters you know to those Brits...

Blackleaf

That's what makes it great.

Boring, more like.

Tecumsehsbones

Funny. He's so detached-from-reality gung-ho for Britain, he can't admit the obvious truth that Canada has more land area.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

Boring, more like.

Not at all and it doesn't smell like piss.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

Seems Canada's tiny island of Baffin Island is bigger than your tiny Island..

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Funny. He's so detached-from-reality gung-ho for Britain, he can't admit the obvious truth that Canada has more land area.

SK lakes alone are half of England.

Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Seems Canada's tiny island of Baffin Island is bigger than your tiny Island..

3 in the top 10.

It's only 1400 times bigger than my farm.

Ludlow
+1
what is this the who has a bigger prick contest?

Blackleaf
A very British earthquake....

Kent earthquake: Britain's biggest in seven years (but the earth might not have moved for you)

After 4.2 magnitude quake off coast fails to cause injuries or structural damage, tremor that shakes Garden of England becomes ripe for ridicule

A seismicity map of the epicentre of the earthquake measuring magnitude 4.2 which hit Kent overnight. It was the UK's biggest earthquake since the Lincolnshire earthquake of 27 February 2008 which was felt throughout almost the whole of England and Wales and even as far west as Bangor in Nothern Ireland Photo: British Geological Survey/PA

By Danny Boyle (external - login to view)
22 May 2015

2 Comments (external - login to view)

It was the biggest earthquake to hit Britain in seven years, but even people living near the epicentre would have been forgiven for not feeling the earth move.

A quake measuring a magnitude of 4.2 on the Richter scale shook windows and caused walls to creak when it struck in Kent in the early hours of Friday (external - login to view).

Locals reported books being shaken from shelves and described the earthquake as feeling like a vehicle had been driven into their property amid tremors that lasted around 10 seconds.

But with both police and the fire brigade reporting there had been no reports of injuries or structural damage, the tremor that shook the Garden of England was ripe for ridicule.

Social media users were quick to make light of the quake, jokingly posting "devastating scenes" of overturned wheelie bins and garden furniture that had fallen over.

Uploading images of "chaos" underneath tongue-in-cheek text such as "we will rebuild", residents showed that the great British sense of humour was in no short supply despite the "disaster".

Kent Police was inundated with hundreds of calls about the earthquake, which seismologists recorded one-and-a-half miles off the East Kent coast, near Ramsgate, at 2.52am.

More than 800 "felt reports" were received by the British Geological Survey (BGS), mainly from residents in Ramsgate, Margate and elsewhere across Kent.

But the BGS said reports of the earthquake were also received from as far afield as Norwich, North Walsham and Cromer in East Anglia. One man said he believed he felt the tremors across the Channel in Normandy.

One resident told how they thought their hotel door was being kicked in, another described their house creaking, while a third said the tremor sounded like a "heavy object rolling over the roof of the house".

British Geological Survey map showing where the earthquake was felt

Susan Fry, who lives in Ramsgate near the epicentre, said she felt a "strange rumbling sound".

"We were woken up by the house shaking for about 10 seconds," she told the Telegraph. "We instantly knew it was an earthquake.

There was a strange rumbling sound. The vibrations felt like being on cruise ship when it comes onto port sideways."

Barry Hunt said he was woken by a "short graunching shudder" in Faversham, about 25 miles inland from the quake. "It felt like someone had slammed a sticking door very hard," he added.

Follow (external - login to view)
Dean Martin @Dean_Martin5 (external - login to view)

Live scenes in Kent after they had a catastrophic earthquake!
8:47 AM - 22 May 2015 (external - login to view)
  • 8 8 Retweets (external - login to view)
  • 5 (external - login to view)

IAMEatonsMess x @Britishchickx

No matter how much inconvenience the #KentEarthquake (external - login to view) has caused....us kentonians will troop on x
6:25 AM - 22 May 2015 (external - login to view)
  • 129 129 Retweets (external - login to view)
  • 93 (external - login to view)

Matt Eyre @MattEyre1 (external - login to view)

Apparently #Kent (external - login to view) had an #earthquake (external - login to view) last night. Seen some devastating scenes online.
8:17 AM - 22 May 2015 (external - login to view)
  • 2 2 Retweets (external - login to view)
  • 2 (external - login to view)

The C86 Show @TheC86Show (external - login to view)

Devastating #earthquake (external - login to view) hits Kent
8:16 AM - 22 May 2015 (external - login to view)
  • 4 4 Retweets (external - login to view)
  • 1 (external - login to view)

Trevange @trevange (external - login to view)

Reports are coming in of an #earthquake (external - login to view) in #Kent (external - login to view) last night.
8:15 AM - 22 May 2015 (external - login to view)
  • 3 3 Retweets (external - login to view)

Kent earthquake: Britain's biggest in seven years (but the earth might not have moved for you) - Telegraph (external - login to view)

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

No contest. I already won that one.

B00Mer
Quick change of the subject back on topic.. eh Blackie..

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

Nope, mostly a who's further from reality contest.

Blackleaf totally wins.

no new posts