This CBC story is recklessly false (updated a record three times)

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I like the writer, but this story is a pile of anti-Israel horsesh!t.

In particular:

• Contrary to what this polemic suggests, ethnic origin was long part of the Criminal Code provision. A big factual error.

• Supporters of anti-Israel efforts are given lots of space to say whatever the Hell they want. The other side isn’t.

• The story simply does not back up the shocker of a headline, that the federal government is “threatening” critics of Israel with criminal charges. The screed is loaded with phrases and words like “could,” “would be,” “if,” “appears,” and so on. There is no proof, anywhere, that Ottawa has charged a single person or group.

• And that raises another factual error: to prosecute a hate crime, you first need the approval of the provincial Attorney General – not “Ottawa.”

• That’s not all. The CBC piece even alleges that groups and individuals are under illegal surveillance, without offering an iota of proof.

And so on, and so on.

I’m no fan of the leadership of the lead lobbyists for the Canada-Israel cause, to say the least. They – and their top lobbyist in particular – have alienated many life-long supporters of Israel, like me. I dislike him intensely.

But this CBC tale is unfair and inaccurate, and the CBC should acknowledge as much.

UPDATE: The CBC’s online editor declared I was “wrong” about all of this on Twitter. Then HuffPo let us know that CBC is quietly changing the headline on the story. I should have made a screen cap before CBC disappeared the headline!

UPDATER: And get this – the reporter wasn’t even sourcing Blaney, but some junior departmental spox!

UPDATEST: And look what was still over on NNW! The totally-bogus, totally-inaccurate original headline!

This CBC story is recklessly false (updated a record three times) | Warren Kinsella

more

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/...-minister-blaneys-spokesman-bds-prosecutions/

you'll hear more about this

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
They have been targeting people who are anti Zionist and anti Israel with hate crimes. Adding boycotting to the list is a small step up in the attacks. When the Human Rights Commission cleared a friend, the government took him to court, so I don't see that this story is that far fetched. But I understand you hate the CBC, so continue your bashing.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
How do you boycott Israel when the supermarkets are full of kosher products?

Which Israeli prison was the one to come up with the TENS machine?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
They have been targeting people who are anti Zionist and anti Israel with hate crimes. Adding boycotting to the list is a small step up in the attacks. When the Human Rights Commission cleared a friend, the government took him to court, so I don't see that this story is that far fetched. But I understand you hate the CBC, so continue your bashing.

relax your sphincter clifford, it's a warren kinsella blog post for chrissakes.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Guess we will have to wait for the JDL to clear up the mistake. Should be coming down the wire any minute now, . . . . or 2, . . .

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Because human rights commissions are soo impartial. As long as you share their beliefs anyway.

The irrelevant CBC will do anything to ensure the continued flow of taxpayers dollars into their coffers for future redistribution to the chosen. SInce the extreme left are about the only supporters of CBC the corp has to direct voters to parties that believe in squandering public money. That would not be the conservatives.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Because human rights commissions are soo impartial. As long as you share their beliefs anyway.

The irrelevant CBC will do anything to ensure the continued flow of taxpayers dollars into their coffers for future redistribution to the chosen. SInce the extreme left are about the only supporters of CBC the corp has to direct voters to parties that believe in squandering public money. That would not be the conservatives.
I wouldn't know if the CBC is relevant or not. I don't have radio or TV. It seems that people either hate it or love it and it seems that the divide runs along party lines, which seems rather silly to me since I think the whole right/left thing is BS and people who buy into it are brainwashed.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I wouldn't know if the CBC is relevant or not. I don't have radio or TV. It seems that people either hate it or love it and it seems that the divide runs along party lines, which seems rather silly to me since I think the whole right/left thing is BS and people who buy into it are brainwashed.

Anybody who watches CBC news can spot the bias. Its almost as strong a bias to the left as Fox News is to the right. Doesn't mean either source can't report the news and get some facts correct. But that doesn't change the underlying bias.

But having not seen CBC or heard CBC, I think your opinion on the CBC to be kind of irrelevant.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Anybody who watches CBC news can spot the bias. Its almost as strong a bias to the left as Fox News is to the right. Doesn't mean either source can't report the news and get some facts correct. But that doesn't change the underlying bias.

But having not seen CBC or heard CBC, I think your opinion on the CBC to be kind of irrelevant.
My opinion is based on what I read on these boards. I have been here since 2008 so I think I have a pretty good handle on who claims to right or left on here and who loves or hates the CBC.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
My opinion is based on what I read on these boards. I have been here since 2008 so I think I have a pretty good handle on who claims to right or left on here and who loves or hates the CBC.

Going by anything posted on these boards is a dangerous thing.

I have also observed that not everybody is 100% left or 100% right. Lots of shades of grey.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Going by anything posted on these boards is a dangerous thing.
One can get an insight into the mental workings of some. Granted, some people are probably very different in real life. I think it would be very interesting if we could all get together for a BBQ and meet in real time. The tone of the boards would probably take on a whole new persona. Since Ron likes to put on BBQs and is fairly central to most of us, maybe he could host it and Andem could foot the bill. ;-)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
One can get an insight into the mental workings of some. Granted, some people are probably very different in real life. I think it would be very interesting if we could all get together for a BBQ and meet in real time. The tone of the boards would probably take on a whole new persona. Since Ron likes to put on BBQs and is fairly central to most of us, maybe he could host it and Andem could foot the bill. ;-)

Sounds good. I will be in SK near end of July. That should be a good time in SK. It's warm month.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Just to note, I only fly first class. ;)

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
what and completely destroy the false images I have formed on all of ye? :).