Canada loses almost 20,000 jobs, the biggest drop in eight months

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Canada loses almost 20,000 jobs, the biggest drop in eight months

OTTAWA — While losses in the energy sector have been undercutting employment gains in North America, Canada has been feeling much more of the pain than in the United States.

Nearly 20,000 jobs disappeared across the Canadian economy in April, the biggest drop in eight months, even though the unemployment rate remained at 6.8 per cent as many people stopped looking work.

The average forecast by economists was for a much smaller net loss of 5,000 positions last month, after a gain of 28,700 jobs in March, as the country’s labour force continued its see-saw pattern between losses and gains. In February, for example, the economy lost 1,000 workers overall after adding about 35,000 jobs in the previous month.

source: Canada loses almost 20,000 jobs, the biggest drop in eight months | Financial Post

Last edited by a moderator:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
People can be a bit fickle- this month the loss was mainly in part time jobs while full time jobs made a gain, which I would interpret as being slightly positive. A month or so back the gain was in part time jobs while full time jobs took a bit of beating - people didn't like that either. I think a lot of it has to do with seasonal fluctuations which in understandable when relying on a resourced based industry.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
time to break out the will work for food signs. Make a few like the one I saw the other day which said,,,,Dreaming of a cheeseburger."LOL
I see help wanted signs every where . But conversely I see " please help homeless signs every where .
Seems to me it is almost like work holding a sign all day on the side off the road .

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The quality of jobs available is going down-down-down as we switch to a service sector economy. The graphs never show any of that.

I remember way back in the 1970's , when "Futurists" were all the rage and they were predicting this wonderful future where automation would replace workplace drudgery and we'd all be free for more leisure! We were heading to leisure society!.

Well, it's happening. There are more and more North Americans and Europeans with nothing else to do. What the futurists missed is that no one, anywhere is going to pay anyone for their leisure time and rather than a "leisure society" we are headed for a "poverty society".

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The quality of jobs available is going down-down-down as we switch to a service sector economy. The graphs never show any of that.

I remember way back in the 1970's , when "Futurists" were all the rage and they were predicting this wonderful future where automation would replace workplace drudgery and we'd all be free for more leisure! We were heading to leisure society!.

Well, it's happening. There are more and more North Americans and Europeans with nothing else to do. What the futurists missed is that no one, anywhere is going to pay anyone for their leisure time and rather than a "leisure society" we are headed for a "poverty society".

Look on the bright side, an increase in service industry jobs could be a sign of a vibrant tourist industry- foreign mony coming into the country is never a bad thing.

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
time to break out the will work for food signs. Make a few like the one i saw the other day which said,,,,dreaming of a cheeseburger."lol
lool poverty is funny

I see help wanted signs every where . But conversely I see " please help homeless signs every where .
Seems to me it is almost like work holding a sign all day on the side off the road .
why do people like this dummy think homeless people can just show up to a place and get hired?

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
lool poverty is funny

why do people like this dummy think homeless people can just show up to a place and get hired?
Moron that was the second time I saw that same sign on that same corner held by a different person while they were talking on their cell phone and smoking their cigs. There is genuine poverty and then there are those who abuse peoples sympathy and compassion. No,,genuine poverty is not funny but con men running a game with gimics playing on peoples sympathy is at times because it is so obvious. If a person can't see the difference then all one can say is,,,,,uh,,,,

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Are they homeless or lacking housing?

There's a valid reason why some people are homeless. Who wants to rent to people who won't pay the rent? Who wants to rent to people who destroy the place and then move out in the middle of the night? Who wants to rent to people who cause disturbances and upset the neighbours? As a former landlord I've dealt with all of the above and more. Dog sh*t, cat piss, you name it!

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
There's a valid reason why some people are homeless. Who wants to rent to people who won't pay the rent? Who wants to rent to people who destroy the place and then move out in the middle of the night? Who wants to rent to people who cause disturbances and upset the neighbours? As a former landlord I've dealt with all of the above and more. Dog sh*t, cat piss, you name it!
The rescue mission here in Phoenix requests people to refrain from donating to the habitual panhandlers for the sole reason that if they know they can get by that way they won't seek help from organizations like this that will help them to get a place to live and a job, among other things they help with. The best thing to do is support those who can help in the best way.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The rescue mission here in Phoenix requests people to refrain from donating to the habitual panhandlers for the sole reason that if they know they can get by that way they won't seek help from organizations like this that will help them to get a place to live and a job, among other things they help with. The best thing to do is support those who can help in the best way.

Government agencies just don't like it when you cut out the middleman.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Look on the bright side, an increase in service industry jobs could be a sign of a vibrant tourist industry- foreign mony coming into the country is never a bad thing.

It would be a far better thing for foreigners to be bringing their money to buy our quality, value-added manufactured goods rather than Ice Caps at Tim's.