Earthquake measuring 6.3 hits New Zealand

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Earthquake measuring 6.3 hits New Zealand

An earthquake measuring 6.3 has hit central New Zealand, rattling Wellington and Christchurch.

The quake, centred in the Nelson region, occurred at a depth of 80 kilometres, 45 kilometres east of the village of St Arnaud, on the north of the South Island, at 3.36pm local time, said GeoNet, which provides geological hazard information for New Zealand.

A magnitude 4.2 earthquake was registered in a similar location at a depth of 69 kilometres at 3.46pm, followed by a 4.1 quake, 76 kilometres deep, at 3.53pm.

On Thursday, a magnitude 4.4 at 10.36am, followed by a 5.1 at 10.42am, were centred just east of Seddon - also located in the upper South Island.

St Arnaud Alpine Store owner Sandy Pearce said the shock was "very, very frightening" and she and her three customers ran out of the shop.

She said "pretty much" all the stock at the front of the store's shelves fell off.

"It started shaking and we just waited. It became very violent, so we ran outside. One lady was in her car getting fuel and she felt it very strongly. We will just wait. I dare say we will get another."

Ms Pearce said the building could be heard creaking.

St Arnaud Alpine Lodge receptionist Imelda Brandauer said the quake was intense.

"It was quite amazing. We've never felt it like that before."

She said she was not sure if they should go out of the building.

"The whole building was shaking."

She said the hotel was not full as it was not peak season.

She said some bottles in the walk-in storage cooler had fallen off shelves and broken, but that was the extent of damage.

"Everyone was just running upstairs to make sure [the guests] were OK."

There were reports of problems on the mobile networks.

Heather Waters in Richmond said she was still shaking. "It was huge. It was as big as the one we had 44 years ago."

Courtney O'Hagan in Nelson said she "almost lost my TV".

"Everything shook and went for ages."

Wendy Molloy said she felt it at Tarakohe Wharf at Pohara in Golden Bay and it was "pretty scary".

In Kaikoura, Anita Terwin, duty manager at the Whaler Bar and Restaurant, said it was "very sharp and very quick".

"It was very spooky. It gave me a hell of a fright," she said.

Things had fallen off the shelves in the kitchen, but the bar had sustained no major damage.

Ms Terwin said it brought up memories of the September and February earthquakes in her hometown of Christchurch.

"There was a lot of shaking and rolling. I'm still shaking."

Wellingtonians said it was big and lasted for a long time.

source: Earthquake measuring 6.3 hits New Zealand

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
They're used to earthquakes in New Zealand. It's a sparsely-populated Britain but sits on the Pacific Ring of Fire.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Any damage?? You OK??

M 6.1 Earthquake
187km WSW of Bella Bella, Canada
1 hour ago – U.S. Geological Survey
An earthquake with magnitude 6.1 occurred near Port Hardy, BC, Canada at 13:56:16.00 UTC on Apr 24, 2015 ...

M 6.1 Earthquake, 187km WSW of Bella Bella, Canada

Today's Earthquakes in British Columbia, Canada

Thanks Boomer but i am 4-500 miles South/SE of the quake. Port Hardy is not the closest town, it would be Queen Charlotte city on the south edge of the island group.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
3 Idaho earthquakes, strongest at magnitude-4.2, rattle residents from Washington to Montana

BOISE, Idaho – Three earthquakes up to magnitude-4.2 and nearly a half-dozen aftershocks have jolted northern Idaho, with residents from Washington state to Montana saying they felt the tremors.

A Bonner County emergency dispatcher in Sandpoint said Friday morning that no injuries or damage were reported.

The U.S. Geological Survey says a magnitude-4.1 quake hit first, around 7:32 p.m. Thursday. It was centered 30 miles northeast of Hayden.

A second quake of magnitude-4.2 struck a little more than three hours later and was centered 38 miles northeast of Hayden. A magnitude-3.3 temblor hit at 1:28 a.m. Friday in the same area.

Hundreds of people logged onto the Geological Survey's National Earthquake Information website to report feeling the quakes.

3 Idaho earthquakes, strongest at magnitude-4.2, rattle residents from Washington to Montana | Fox News

Maybe Mt Baker is going to awaken from a dormant state..

...or Vancouver should get ready for the BIG ONE!!! ;)

I hope it never happens to Vancouver. I'd hate to see that happen in Canada, and Vancouver is Canada's pearl.

///////////////////////////////

Earthquakes rattle West Coast and B.C. Interior - British Columbia - CBC News

I'd say BC is trying to get further away from Alberta.. edging west.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well here is the "bottom" of Alberta, SW corner.

HWY 6 Alberta.. my favorite drive..

The Last photo, that's a border wall.. end of Cameron Lake, that mountain is the USA.
Waterton is nice. It's not overrun with tourist in goRVing putting along at 30km/h.