What kind of dude is Brendan Shanaghan?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
He sounds like a loose cannon on the deck! I somehow think Linden wouldn't have acted that way.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
if i had shanahan's job i would have done just as he has, fire the lot of them, they have failed big
time in that organization for quite a few years now, enough is enough.
shanahan knows what he is doing, he was hired by the ownher to do just what he is doing, they had
to wait till the end of the season, And he did.

they will spend some time now figuring out who to hire for next season.

not too much different to what happened at the end of last season in vancouver.

the toronto team has been just terrible for a long time, the hAve a full building who have to sit
there and watch A team thAt continues year after year failing to improve, there has been so many
mistakes mAde by scouts and management and coaches and players.
they are cleaning house, starting fresh, it will take about 5 years to fix the mess, And i wish
them good luck.

we have followed that circus closely for a long time, obviously you haven't.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
if i had shanahan's job i would have done just as he has, fire the lot of them, they have failed big
time in that organization for quite a few years now, enough is enough.
shanahan knows what he is doing, he was hired by the ownher to do just what he is doing, they had
to wait till the end of the season, And he did.

they will spend some time now figuring out who to hire for next season.

not too much different to what happened at the end of last season in vancouver.

the toronto team has been just terrible for a long time, the hAve a full building who have to sit
there and watch A team thAt continues year after year failing to improve, there has been so many
mistakes mAde by scouts and management and coaches and players.
they are cleaning house, starting fresh, it will take about 5 years to fix the mess, And i wish
them good luck.

we have followed that circus closely for a long time, obviously you haven't.

So you figure every one of those guys is a loser? I find that a bit strange.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Shanahan set them up to fail so he could hire his buddies and be in the McDavid sweepstakes. I think he's a shmuck.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Shanahan set them up to fail so he could hire his buddies and be in the McDavid sweepstakes. I think he's a shmuck.

I've found in life, usually when someone blames everyone else, a little more looking into is required. Apparently his next move is to turn on the players.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

they were failing long before shanahan arrived, we knew he would relieve nonis and his buddies at the
end of the season, they had done nothing.

this team has been crippled for about 5 years, this move is long overdue.

If that's the case they knew full well what they were getting into and almost certainly had clauses written into their contracts guaranteeing their wages would be paid in full no matter what.

i think nonis has another 2 years on his contract, which he will receive most of it, along with any
other management who was fired.

and it did start with the scouts, going back quite a while, and they are also gone.

now they can start fresh, nonis was just burke's sidekick, burke kept hiring him whereever he went,
vancouver, then anaheim then toronto, don't think he will surface in calgary.

I've found in life, usually when someone blames everyone else, a little more looking into is required. Apparently his next move is to turn on the players.

shanahan had nothing to do with the failure of the leafs, he was only hired less than a year ago, and he
was hired to do just what he has done, the owner made that decision, and they waited out the year after
firing the coach, brought up their minor league coach, and just waited, the writing was on the wall.
your little assumptions are interesting, he isn't blaming everyone else, they all did the damage long
before he arrived, it was easy to see. of course there will be quite a shuffle of players, and there
needs to be, a very disfunctional team, far too much money poured into a few players who are not
earning it, (done by dave nonis), and they need to have a new captain next year, a new culture, a new
breath of fresh air, lots of young players, and start with a whole new attitude.

i didn't hear you whining about the firing of mike gillis, then john torterella
when that was done, well this is very similar, and new blood was put into
canucks scouting staff as well, headed by jim benning as g.m., and vancouver
started with a brand new culture as well, and toronto needs even more as they
are in much worse shape than vancouver was.
and by the way, you mentioned linden, shanahan has been a great hockey player for
many years, and has worked within the NHL offices as well, and the hiring of
him in toronto is similar to the hiring of linden, a very respected ex player
who will be well known by the fans and players for his playing days, just like
linden, and other ex players who now have good management type jobs with
nhl hockey teams.

So you figure every one of those guys is a loser? I find that a bit strange.

people who are paid a lot of money to succeed in management and other responsible jobs in any company,
then after 5 or so years go by, and the company is failing badly, and continued to keep failing usually
are relieved of their duties.

shanahan has a job to do, the team owner hired him to do the job, his job had nothing to do with what
the other people were doing, but he was hired to 'fix' the problems, and that word has the obvious
meaning. the previous management has spent the cap right to the top, no more money, paid far too
much to certain players, long term contracts.
you can bet the owner and shanahan had quite a heart to heart meeting many times, the owner would have given
him full responsibility to 'clean' up the mess, and he will.

shanahan was not part of the failure of this team, all of the people who are now gone did that.
it is only now that shanahan has the freedom to make 'all' the decisions about hiring the new people.

shanahan is one of the new guys to start things off with a fresh new look and attitude, right from
players up to top management, and yes, just like canucks and any other team, players have to be
moved out as they see fit, probably by the new general manager when he arrives, just like benning did.

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I am unclear how you could not fire the GM and coaches after the season they had. It was pathetic by Leaf standards. So bad, they actually did not sell out one game.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
They were in the last playoff spot when Carlyle got fired. Being that high in the standings was too far from the McDavid sweepstakes.

They replaced Carlyle with someone at Office Temps. Like that is going to spark the team. Come on, this whole year has been a phoney sham orchestrated by Shanahan.

Either that or Shanahan has unintentionally orchestrated a disgrace and is a complete imbecile. It's one or the other.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
They were in the last playoff spot when Carlyle got fired. Being that high in the standings was too far from the McDavid sweepstakes.

They replaced Carlyle with someone at Office Temps. Like that is going to spark the team. Come on, this whole year has been a phoney sham orchestrated by Shanahan.

Either that or Shanahan has unintentionally orchestrated a disgrace and is a complete imbecile. It's one or the other.
shamahan. ;)

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
it seems none of the nhl teams who have hired 'interem' coaches, will commit to signing any of them,
becAuse it looks to me like they Are all wanting to wait and see if 'mike babcock' re signs with
detroit, because if he doesn't, they will all fall over each other trying to convince him to
sign with their club, that includes toronto, and edmonton, even though the fellow coaching
edmonton now has helped them improve a lot, they still have not Asked him to sign for next season.

if i were babcock, i would pick edmonton, as they are all ready to burst out, a team with many hi end
young players, and another high drAft pick coming, so, babcock could sign there and have many
years of fun and success with the oilers.

when toronto signed their present coach, right after cArlyle was fired, he was told, 'interim' only.
they have not tried to tank, only traded off a couple of players, at the deadline, and management
can't tank a team, the only power they have to tank, is pulling players out of the lineup, or
trading them, as players never try to lose, and can't be asked to do so, or there would be all
out mutiny.

leafs were not playing well for carlyle at all, they looked like they had tuned him out completely,
so 'bye bye charlie', its just not working anymore, and i agree with that, same thing seemed to
happen with the canuck players and vineault, the love affair was over, now the new life for both
vineault and canucks is much better, and vineault has a team that could again go for the cup, they
are that good.