B.C. teacher suing over ‘unimaginable hardship’ after false accusations of rape, tort

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
B.C. teacher suing over ‘unimaginable hardship’ after false accusations of rape, torture | National Post

A Vancouver Island teacher falsely accused of sexual assault and torture by a Grade 9 student — accusations that were later shown to be ripped off from TV episodes of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit — is seeking compensation for more than two years of “unimaginable hardship.”

In an arbitration hearing last year, the student described a series of sadistic rapes that left her beaten and bloody, as well as torture, including waterboarding and being buried alive.

According to court documents, the girl was a “big fan” of the show and admitted to watching each episode at least three times.

In a decision dated July 10, 2014, labour arbitrator Joan McEwen found in favour of the B.C. Teachers’ Federation (BCTF), which represented the teacher when he filed a grievance to get his job back, saying it was clear to “everyone” that the student could not be believed. The teacher was to be “made whole as soon as possible.”

In hearings continuing next week in a Nanaimo hotel room, the BCTF will pursue a claim for damages relating to the teacher’s loss of reputation.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Good, although I fail to see what a monetary settlement will achieve. Once your reputation is tarnished like that, it will never be like it was. Still they have to have real, and quite substantial penalties for anyone who falsely accuses someone of rape. People like that, one tiny step below rapists themselves in my book.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Good, although I fail to see what a monetary settlement will achieve. Once your reputation is tarnished like that, it will never be like it was. Still they have to have real, and quite substantial penalties for anyone who falsely accuses someone of rape. People like that, one tiny step below rapists themselves in my book.
I think it may / could be the Police investigation.
Damage to his reputation is incalculable but substantial.
And yes, the internet is forever.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Is it possible to compensate victim for such a horrendous accusation? I know if it was me $million wouldn't come close. I just hope the little bitch is made to suffer as much as the victim!

Boy, how many times have I heard that. "Money won't make the plaintiff whole!" Usually from defendants. The law's answer amounts to "Couldn't hurt."

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Boy, how many times have I heard that. "Money won't make the plaintiff whole!" Usually from defendants. The law's answer amounts to "Couldn't hurt."

How could money restore a person after every one's trust in you has been destroyed? Some people don't care a rat's a$$ about money other than being able to eat and pay the bills. For many people a person's integrity is what defines them. Not everyone is like Jion Gomeshi or Bill Cosby.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
How could money restore a person after every one's trust in you has been destroyed? Some people don't care a rat's a$$ about money other than being able to eat and pay the bills. For many people a person's integrity is what defines them. Not everyone is like Jion Gomeshi or Bill Cosby.
Well, it can certainly compensate him for the money he would have made if he hadn't been fired. Aside from that, I'd be perfectly OK with a court order requiring the girl who accused him and the knuckleheads who believed her to go door to door to every house in the school district saying "Hi. I'm a liar." "And I'm an idiot who is not competent to hold my job," followed by expulsion of the girl and firing every moron who participated in the firing. Alas, the law doesn't allow for that, so Teech will just have to solace himself as best he can with what the money will buy.

And the alleged investigator needs to lose her license, as well as handing over her life's savings, pour encourager les autres.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well, it can certainly compensate him for the money he would have made if he hadn't been fired. Aside from that, I'd be perfectly OK with a court order requiring the girl who accused him and the knuckleheads who believed her to go door to door to every house in the school district saying "Hi. I'm a liar." "And I'm an idiot who is not competent to hold my job," followed by expulsion of the girl and firing every moron who participated in the firing. Alas, the law doesn't allow for that, so Teech will just have to solace himself as best he can with what the money will buy.

And the alleged investigator needs to lose her license, as well as handing over her life's savings, pour encourager les autres.

Now you are talking. People who destroy innocent people have to be "sidelined" and made to compensate.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
But what is going to happen to the student - is she going off without any form of punishment?

Will taxpayers in that district pay for the damages she caused?