NBC's Brian Williams recants story about Iraq incident after soldiers protest

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
NBC's Brian Williams recants story about Iraq incident after soldiers protest
Daniel Wallis, REUTERS First posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 07:25 PM EST | Updated: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 07:41 PM EST
NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams said on Wednesday he was sorry for "making a mistake" when he said he was on a helicopter that was hit and forced down by rocket fire during the 2003 invasion of Iraq, after soldiers complained it was not true.
Williams made the claim on his broadcast last Friday while reporting a tribute at a New York Rangers hockey game for a retired soldier who provided ground security during the incident. Williams said he and his news crew were protected by a mechanized platoon from the U.S. Army 3rd Infantry after their Chinook helicopter was crippled by enemy fire.
That prompted crew members on the 159th Aviation Regiment's Chinook that was hit by two rockets and small arms fire to tell the Stars and Stripes military newspaper that the journalist had arrived on a different helicopter an hour later.
In a statement responding to the soldiers, Williams said they were absolutely right and he was wrong.
"In fact, I spent much of the weekend thinking I'd gone crazy. I feel terrible about making this mistake, especially since I found my OWN WRITING about the incident from back in '08, and I was indeed on the Chinook behind the bird that took the RPG in the tail housing," Williams wrote.
He said he supposed that repeatedly watching a video of himself inspecting the impact damage, plus "the fog of memory over 12 years," made him conflate and misremember events, some of which took place in a thick "Orange Crush" sandstorm.
"Nobody's trying to steal anyone's valor," he wrote. "Quite the contrary: I was and remain a civilian journalist covering the stories of those who volunteered for duty."
On his show on Wednesday evening, Williams said those two nights in the desert were "harrowing," and he called the story "a bungled attempt by me to thank one special veteran."
He said he hoped veterans everywhere know that they have his greatest respect, "and also now, my apology."
NBC’s Brian Williams Addresses Iraq RPG Helicopter Story - YouTube
NBC's Brian Williams recants story about Iraq incident after soldiers protest |

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver

Riding shotgun with OJ.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
It sure took Brian Williams a long time to tell the truth. I think that reflects on his credibility. I notice that no one at NBC spoke the truth despite having either actual or imputed knowledge of Mr. William's lies. I think that reflects on NBC's credibility.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Lack of integrity and the military seem to go hand in hand recently.

What?

Man... Brian Williams is a news anchor you dumb azz!

You're getting tooled all over the forum!

Do you have any clue at all?

GOOOOOO PATS!

It sure took Brian Williams a long time to tell the truth. I think that reflects on his credibility. I notice that no one at NBC spoke the truth despite having either actual or imputed knowledge of Mr. William's lies. I think that reflects on NBC's credibility.

Hey BT... Cannuck is still stewing over the Pats winning so he's not thinking clearly AT ALL.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I love those bullshitty Carlinesque terms douchebags like this brian 'did not serve' williams use like 'conflate', 'misremembered'

...and of course this network egomaniac isn't 'sorry' for bullshitting about anything, he's pissed-off and now a little embarrassed that he was more directly found-out in this long-running manly-man Expendables tall beer tale.

Innocent mistake my ass.

“I would not have chosen to make this mistake,” Williams said.

“I don’t know what screwed up in my mind that caused me to conflate one aircraft with another.”
(your tiny dick did arsehole)

One of the helicopters was hit by two rocket-propelled grenades — one did not detonate but passed through the airframe and rotor blades — as well as small arms fire.

You would fukking well remember being hit and forced down by an RPG you cowardly little wannabe.

like this soldier:

“It was something personal for us that was kind of life-changing for me. I know how lucky I was to survive it,” said Lance Reynolds, who was the flight engineer. “It felt like a personal experience that someone else wanted to participate in and didn’t deserve to participate in.”

eh brian?

The NBC online archive shows the network broadcast a news story on March 26, 2003, with the headline, “Target Iraq: Helicopter NBC’s Brian Williams Was Riding In Comes Under Fire.”

*your moral and intellectual superiors.

This hardly-hard-man said in 2007 it wasn't his chopper but the one in front of theirs. So he knew ans knows exactly what happened.

But in 2013, to maybe impress the girls or alec baldwin, there's this twist:

[...] like being in a helicopter I had no business being in in Iraq with rounds coming into the airframe. But I, I also – ”

Baldwin: “Did you think you would die?”
Williams: “Briefly, sure …”

But not worry fake folk; as this dude said:

“Brian Williams will be fine,” Andy Levy, a Fox News commentator, wrote on Twitter. “If he can survive being hit by an R.P.G., he can survive this.”

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Lack of integrity and the military seem to go hand in hand recently.

Huh?

What?

Man... Brian Williams is a news anchor you dumb azz!

You're getting tooled all over the forum!

Do you have any clue at all?

GOOOOOO PATS!

Hey BT... Cannuck is still stewing over the Pats winning so he's not thinking clearly AT ALL.

Okay, nevermind,

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I love those bullshitty Carlinesque terms douchebags like this brian 'did not serve' williams use like 'conflate', 'misremembered'

...and of course this network egomaniac isn't 'sorry' for bullshitting about anything, he's pissed-off and now a little embarrassed that he was more directly found-out in this long-running manly-man Expendables tall beer tale.

Innocent mistake my ass.

“I would not have chosen to make this mistake,” Williams said.

“I don’t know what screwed up in my mind that caused me to conflate one aircraft with another.”
(your tiny dick did arsehole)

One of the helicopters was hit by two rocket-propelled grenades — one did not detonate but passed through the airframe and rotor blades — as well as small arms fire.

You would fukking well remember being hit and forced down by an RPG you cowardly little wannabe.

like this soldier:

“It was something personal for us that was kind of life-changing for me. I know how lucky I was to survive it,” said Lance Reynolds, who was the flight engineer. “It felt like a personal experience that someone else wanted to participate in and didn’t deserve to participate in.”

eh brian?

The NBC online archive shows the network broadcast a news story on March 26, 2003, with the headline, “Target Iraq: Helicopter NBC’s Brian Williams Was Riding In Comes Under Fire.”

*your moral and intellectual superiors.

This hardly-hard-man said in 2007 it wasn't his chopper but the one in front of theirs. So he knew ans knows exactly what happened.

But in 2013, to maybe impress the girls or alec baldwin, there's this twist:

[...] like being in a helicopter I had no business being in in Iraq with rounds coming into the airframe. But I, I also – ”

Baldwin: “Did you think you would die?”
Williams: “Briefly, sure …”

But not worry fake folk; as this dude said:

“Brian Williams will be fine,” Andy Levy, a Fox News commentator, wrote on Twitter. “If he can survive being hit by an R.P.G., he can survive this.”

You're kind of cute when you get riled up.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Come on Brian no one would forget the real incident especially under those
conditions. You would remember which chopper you were on. He thought
no one would complain assuming they were as vain as he is shame on him.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
As you so rightly pointed out yesterday Walter he was not the only one to promote something false. Do you have any other examples like the Hillary one?
I'm also going to assume at this point that more get away than get caught, would you agree?