mentally ill girl shot dead by Texas police

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Mentally ill girl shot dead by Texas police

Dramatic CCTV footage has shown the moment a mentally ill 17-year-old girl was shot dead by police after she lunged at officers with a butcher's knife.

Kristiana Coignard was killed in the lobby of Longview Police Station in Texas on Wednesday after a Taser failed to stop her.

The shooting has come in for criticism amid increased scrutiny in the United States surrounding law enforcement's use of deadly force.

The footage then shows Officer Derr struggling with the girl and trying to subdue her and at one point, the officer throws her to the ground.

As she lies on the floor, Officer Derr can be seen kneeling and holding her down, before he suddenly gets up and steps back.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHY9oY3A1gY

It is thought he broke away when he realised that Coignard was reaching for a butcher's knife she had hidden in her waistband.

Officers Gene Duffie and Grace Bagley then arrive on the scene as Coignard is seen charging at Derr.

Officer Duffie then fires his Taser before Officers Derr and Bagley quickly followed with gunshots.

Further details of the shooting emerged following statements from Longview Police Chief Don Dingler and spokeswoman Kristie Brian.

Chief Dingler said the officers were justified in shooting the girl.

He said: 'All the patrol officers carry Tasers, plus expandable batons.

'I think you'll see from the video that the time was a factor. There was no time for the officers to use other means.'

All three officers are on paid administrative leave while the Texas Rangers investigate the shooting.

The girl's family has said she had mental health problems and have questioned why police had to shoot her.

She had been living with her aunt, Heather Robertson, before her death.

Ms Robertson said her niece had been battling mental illness, including bipolar disorder and depression, and had been hospitalized twice after attempting suicide, Think Progress reported.

She said Coignard 'was only violent with herself' and has questioned the events in the police station.
'I think it was a cry for help. I think they could have done something.'

'They are grown men. I think there is something they are not telling us.'

source: CCTV from moment Texas police shot dead Kristiana Coignard revealed | Daily Mail Online

Where are the Riots!! Where is the "White Lives Matter??" Let's go burn down a black neighborhood.. :lol:

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Doesnt give the race of the cops and an investigation of the incident has not been completed.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Let me guess, Obama-not-care, Texas style?

Officers Duffie and Bagley - my guess is white.

If it was Officer Washington, or Jefferson.. black. :lol:
Somewhat racist statement with no proof, white or black if the clip is empty he was meant to not get up no matter what caused the first bang, making it race related.
When the KKK says the white guys can hold a peaceful rally and it better stay peaceful 'or else' just who do you think they are talking to?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Let me guess, Obama-not-care, Texas style?

Somewhat racist statement with no proof, white or black

Not racist at all.. if you read US History at all.

How did Washington, Jefferson and Jackson become popular African American surnames?

According to the 2010 US Census:

-90% of the people with the surname "Washington" are Black and 5% are White;
-"Jefferson" is 75% Black and 19% White;
-"Jackson" is 53% Black / 42% White

Other popular Afro-Anglo surnames are Williams and Johnson

In fact, Blacks are over-represented in almost all Presidential surnames. Keeping in mind that Black Americans are only 12% of the US population, how did surnames associated with early US presidents become largely African American?

I used this interesting tool for my stats: http://spaghettilogic.org/what_race_is_your_last_name/

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Where's Al Sharpton and the rest of his ilk supporting the family of the girl, hmmmm?
So, all you got out of this story was an excuse to take a shot at Sharpton?

Wow, Boomer too. A young girl gets shot dead by the police, no racial implications whatsoever, and all Boomer and Son can think of is "this is a great opportunity to bash black people!"

But they're not racists.

Last edited:

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
So, all you got out of this story was an excuse to take a shot at Sharpton?

Wow, Boomer too. A young girl gets shot dead by the police, no racial implications whatsoever, and all Boomer and Son can think of is "this is a great opportunity to bash black people!"

But they're not racists.

Sensitive much?

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
Nah, I'm good with it. Just a little weird that you read this story, which has NOT ONE SINGLE MENTION of Sharpton, Ferguson, blacks, race, or anything of the kind, and you leap to attack Sharpton, and Boom leaps to attack blacks.

And I'm the sensitive one?

Looked like it to me, considering the recent events where cops kill black people and Sharpton is up in arms, but when a white person does, eh who cares?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Looked like it to me, considering the recent events where cops kill black people and Sharpton is up in arms, but when a white person does, eh who cares?
Um. . . because Sharpton's chosen issue is the oppression of blacks?

Kinda like asking "Why isn't the CEO of Exxon/Mobil making a public statement about teachers' unions?" Because it's not his issue or his expertise.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
IMO I think the girl was probably looking for Suicide by Cop.

That said, the Chief says timing was a factor and there was no time for his men to use 'other means'. This, I'm certain, is absolute BS.

1. One of his officers had ALREADY used his taser when the other two decided to use live guns.
2. The other officers grabbed for live guns FIRST which begs to ask where were their tasers? If they weren't on the men at the time, why were they not? If they were, how much difference in time is it to pull a taser vs. a live gun?
3. The officers are supposed to have batons as well and while beating the hell out of a kid may not be 'good', it's sure as hell better than having her dead. One taser, two men beating with a baton to disarm the knife from her... yet it wasn't considered an option either? IMO sounds like lack of training to me. Otherwise what's the point of having the batons if you don't use them?

The kid was f'ed up, probably went on purpose to die but there's still a lot of questions I'd have for the officers over this. To me, this is still on par with a lot of the police shootings lately, where "the gun solves everything" no matter what the situation is.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Not racist at all.. if you read US History at all.

How did Washington, Jefferson and Jackson become popular African American surnames?
You know they owned black as slaves right? Should I even mention their love for the Native Indians, I won't because there wasn't any, the names are codewords for who rapes the girls the most.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Oh right, the selective human rights activist. Al Sharpton is a hypocrite. And a hate mongering one at that.
Yes, I know your attitude. Anyone who chooses to advocate for a group is a hypocrite because he doesn't advocate for all groups.

Like the lefties would say the president of the NRA is a hypocrite because he hasn't released an official statment on KXL.

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
Yes, I know your attitude. Anyone who chooses to advocate for a group is a hypocrite because he doesn't advocate for all groups.

No Bones, anyone who is against police brutality shouldn't be selective. Did I forget to mention the man is racist scum?

Like the lefties would say the president of the NRA is a hypocrite because he hasn't released an official statment on KXL.

He hasn't? I'm surprised.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
There are a lot of cops out their just itching to kill someone, to put a notch on their Glock.

They know how to stay within the 'rules' of the minimum to justify deadly force. No mind that you have a 17 year old girl who probably weighs a hundred pounds against 200 pound cops trained in martial arts, and could be subdued with a little bit of skill and tact.

Never mind that if they find themselves completely outwitted and outmatched physically by the teenage girl they can shoot to wound. But basicly with firearms police arm themselves these day, 357 or .44 Magnums, with special hollowpoint police ammo, any shot is likely to take off a limb or cause massive internal bleeding no matter what they hit.

There are good cops out there. But the bottom feeders of police culture really just want to gain a rep as a gunslinger and killer. They'll probably get a medal for it.

Last edited: