Most cancers are just bad luck

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
What causes cancer? It’s a simple question to ask, and – in so many ways – one of the hardest to answer.

And last week, as 2015 slowly got into gear and many of us put the finishing touches to our new year’s resolutions, some eyebrow-raising headlines appeared claiming that scientists had ‘proved’ that the answer is ‘mainly bad luck’.

This story came from a research paper from scientists at Johns Hopkins University in the US, (press released here). And it appeared to contradict the message that many organisations have been trying to hammer home (including us): that although there are no guarantees, we can stack the odds of avoiding cancer in our favour if we embrace a healthy lifestyle.

(In fact, just a week ago we published new stats showing how, if the UK’s population had been healthier overall, an estimated 600,000 cases would have been avoided over the last five years.)

We weren’t the only ones with raised eyebrows – a whole host of blogs and opinion pieces appeared over the weekend, scrutinising the claims. We’ll look at some of these criticisms below, and discuss why the research DOESN’T mean that two-thirds of cases of cancer are ‘caused by bad luck’ (whatever that means).

But before we do, let’s have a very quick recap of what the researchers did, and what they found.
Cancer ‘mainly bad luck’? An unfortunate and distracting headline - Cancer Research UK - Science blog

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Random is possible as certain families have heart issues in their early 40's. A better dies before then could alter that, having a well that is contaminated won't be solved by a change in diet.

Here is the side effects of chemo and in the past (very) few years a new treatment is being added that is used to reduce the deadly side effects of the cure for cancer. Read that part a few times and then consider the other link and what would happen if the new treatment was the main treatment and that was started way before chemo was tried for the first time. If it showed positive results then chemo would be a dead business and probably have a class action lawsuit filed by former patients as subjecting then to cruel and unusual punishment.

Chemotherapy Side Effects Sheets - National Cancer Institute
Oxygen Therapy
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

This site is going to promote keeping your body at a high ph level and using some way to increase your oxygen intake, all by yourself.

Ailments from A-Z

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Cancer is more than just crappy luck, it is a life changing experience.

I've been down that road.. and even before you go into that operation, you're wondering; "is this the end," and a 1000 what if's run through your head.

A malignant parotid mass, and Thank GOD for the Canadian Health Care System.

I went to 3 doctors in Texas, 1st. It's just a swollen glad, 2nd swollen Limp-node, 3rd just an infection.

Returned to Vancouver Canada, and they sent me to ENT, they did a biopsy and ultrasound. Less than 2 weeks they had me under a knife and removed the cancer.

Oh CANADA :canada:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

I've been down that road.. and even before you go into that operation, you're wondering; "is this the end," and a 1000 what if's run through your head.

I went to 3 doctors in Texas, 1st. It's just a swollen glad, 2nd swollen Limp-node, 3rd just an infection.

Returned to Vancouver Canada, and they sent me to ENT, they did a biopsy and ultrasound. Less than 2 weeks they had me under a knife and removed the cancer.

wow...just wow. Your brain must have been like a gerbal on a wheel on speed.

My hubby has just been diagnosed with skin cancer and is having several "spots" removed. Spots...large dollar coin size areas. They're now testing for other cancers and such...swimming in a sea of uncertainty with no lifejacket.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
wow...just wow. Your brain must have been like a gerbil on a wheel on speed.

Yes it was, but it was a while back now. Still have the scar from the base of my ear to my neck. The doctor says I can have it removed, but I just chalk it up to life experiences. No vanity I guess.

Best of luck to your Husband and tell him I understand what he is going through, I hope he is well soon.

Also, follow the doctors instruction to the letter... if they tell you not to do something... don't do it.

:lol: LOL, my doctor said; "don't go to the Internet to see how the operation is done."

Curiosity got the best of me, and well, it didn't help any.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I used to get rid of black age spots and a few moles by scraping the black with something as course as a nail-file and then dab the area with a q-tip that was wet with ant vinegar. It is supposed to sting so if that bothers you dilute it a bit. If it doesn't sting a bit it isn't going to have any effect and nothing will change. File once every day and dab several a few times a day and hopefully you get a sting. My age spot was about thumb-nail size and it took no longer that 14 days. A few dark moles were easier as they were raised already and they actually seemed to swell up just before falling off as one piece. The thumbnail came back years later, never for the raised ones. Now I see them as more of a vanity issue but if I want them gone in a hurry that is what I would do again.

The cosmetic skin blemishes also have an easy solution but it is playing with rocket fuel, sort of as you need food-grade hydrogen peroxide and then before touching it to the blemish full strength you have to protect the 'normal skin' from also getting 'bleached'. The article I read suggested Vaseline I would think that 2nd skin paint on stuff might last a full day so the application can be done a few times a day if desired.

Nice to see you survived, the hearing in my one broken ear might be repairable at some point and being bald I might be a bit vain already. Can you show me how much the scar has faded?

Surgical procedure

The bone behind the ear is exposed through a U-shaped or straight incision or with the help of a specially designed BAHA dermatome. A hole, 3 or 4 mm deep depending on the thickness of the bone, is drilled. The hole is widened and the implant with the mounted coupling is inserted under generous cooling to minimize surgical trauma to the bone.
Some surgeons perform a reduction of the subcutaneous soft tissue. The rationale for this is to reduce the mobility between implant and skin to avoid inflammation at the penetration site. This reduction of the soft tissue has been questioned and some surgeons do not perform any or a minimum of it. The rationale for this is that any surgery will result in some scar tissue that could be the focus of infection. The infections seen early during the development of the surgical procedure could perhaps be explained by the lack of seal between implant and abutment allowing bacteria to enter the space. A new helium tight seal may be advantageous and prevent biofilm formation. This will also allow the surgeon to use longer abutments should a need exist. Three to six weeks later or even earlier, the audiologist will fit and adjust the hearing processor according to the patient's hearing level. The fitting will be made using a special program in a computer.
The original surgical procedure has been described in detail by Tjellström et al. 2001.[6]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone-anchored_hearing_aid#Surgical_procedure

Last edited:

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I used to get rid of black age spots and a few moles by scraping the black with something as course as a nail-file and then dab the area with a q-tip that was wet with ant vinegar. It is supposed to sting so if that bothers you dilute it a bit. If it doesn't sting a bit it isn't going to have any effect and nothing will change. File once every day and dab several a few times a day and hopefully you get a sting. My age spot was about thumb-nail size and it took no longer that 14 days. A few dark moles were easier as they were raised already and they actually seemed to swell up just before falling off as one piece. The thumbnail came back years later, never for the raised ones. Now I see them as more of a vanity issue but if I want them gone in a hurry that is what I would do again.

The cosmetic skin blemishes also have an easy solution but it is playing with rocket fuel, sort of as you need food-grade hydrogen peroxide and then before touching it to the blemish full strength you have to protect the 'normal skin' from also getting 'bleached'. The article I read suggested Vaseline I would think that 2nd skin paint on stuff might last a full day so the application can be done a few times a day if desired.

Nice to see you survived, the hearing in my one broken ear might be repairable at some point and being bald I might be a bit vain already. Can you show me how much the scar has faded?

Surgical procedure

The bone behind the ear is exposed through a U-shaped or straight incision or with the help of a specially designed BAHA dermatome. A hole, 3 or 4 mm deep depending on the thickness of the bone, is drilled. The hole is widened and the implant with the mounted coupling is inserted under generous cooling to minimize surgical trauma to the bone.
Some surgeons perform a reduction of the subcutaneous soft tissue. The rationale for this is to reduce the mobility between implant and skin to avoid inflammation at the penetration site. This reduction of the soft tissue has been questioned and some surgeons do not perform any or a minimum of it. The rationale for this is that any surgery will result in some scar tissue that could be the focus of infection. The infections seen early during the development of the surgical procedure could perhaps be explained by the lack of seal between implant and abutment allowing bacteria to enter the space. A new helium tight seal may be advantageous and prevent biofilm formation. This will also allow the surgeon to use longer abutments should a need exist. Three to six weeks later or even earlier, the audiologist will fit and adjust the hearing processor according to the patient's hearing level. The fitting will be made using a special program in a computer.
The original surgical procedure has been described in detail by Tjellström et al. 2001.[6]
Bone-anchored hearing aid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So much for critical thinking and reading comprehension wierdo.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Glad you got to the bottom of it. I don't know much about cancer as most of my family and acquaintances have been lucky to avoid it but I have heard it is about 100 different diseases with any one type not bearing too much resemblance to others..................some skin cancers are easily treatable and curable while cancer of the pancreas is generally deadly. I do wonder though if genetic makeup doesn't have a bit to do with it.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Glad you got to the bottom of it. I don't know much about cancer as most of my family and acquaintances have been lucky to avoid it but I have heard it is about 100 different diseases with any one type not bearing too much resemblance to others..................some skin cancers are easily treatable and curable while cancer of the pancreas is generally deadly. I do wonder though if genetic makeup doesn't have a bit to do with it.

Skin cancers, dependent upon types of, how far it has spread and while it has a high success rate, not all are treatable.
A friend had it- they cut a strip, 4 to 5 inches wide, from top left to top right shoulder, and shall we say down to the bone or as deep as they can cut.

Survival rates for melanoma skin cancer

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Skin cancers, dependent upon types of, how far it has spread and while it has a high success rate, not all are treatable.
A friend had it- they cut a strip, 4 to 5 inches wide, from top left to top right shoulder, and shall we say down to the bone or as deep as they can cut.

Survival rates for melanoma skin cancer

Yep, it was melanoma that did in Chuck Cadman and after it was public it didn't take very long.